Scotland's top 20 clubs

Dindeleux

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In an attempt to produce something free of bias I've ranked the clubs purely on the following criteria: Trophies won, and time spent in respective leagues. Short of indexing all 42 senior clubs and counting out everything they've done (which was my initial intention before I got bored and long before I discovered the relative spottiness of such data for the bottom 20 teams) there's still always going to be a degree of contention when clubs have achieved relatively similar results and league placings over a similar amount of time. This is particularly the case of the bottom half of this list, where a lot of teams are pretty similar in terms of what they've achieved.

The other issue with this sort of approach arises in the form of trophy anomalies. Queen's Park have won the Scottish Cup 10 times which in a purely points based system (ie so many points for titles, seasons in each league all added up) would probably see them top ten, when they've been largely in the bottom tier for more than the past century. The same happens with Dumbarton's league titles. The same also happens to an extent with European success, which I've tried to rank fairly.

I have attempted to create this list free of any recency bias regarding the "size" of a club. "We've got bigger attendances than you over the past three years!" is a shite argument for compiling a list of teams in this fashion that comprises achievements over 100-140 years. In the cases of relative historical equality however recent success probably comes into it, and it also probably hurts various recently elected former highland league teams (I await the ire of P&B's Staggies population). In fact, I await being told my list is a load of shite, but please know that if you deem it so this is owing purely to a lack of knowledge or a short attention span, rather than caring particularly about one club over another.

1. Celtic

2. Rangers

3. Aberdeen

4. Hearts

5. Hibernian

6. Motherwell

7. Dundee

8. Dundee United

9. Kilmarnock

10. Falkirk

11. St. Mirren

12. St. Johnstone

13. Dunfermline

14. Partick Thistle

15. Morton

16. Raith Rovers

17. Inverness

18. Clyde

19. Queen's Park

20. Livingston

21. Airdrie

22. Queen of the South

23. Hamilton

24. Albion Rovers

25. Dumbarton

26. East Fife

27. Ross County

28. Ayr United

29. Alloa

30. Cowdenbeath

31. Forfar

32. Stirling Albion

33. Stenhousemuir

34. Stranraer

35. Arbroath

36. Brechin

37. East Stirling

38. Berwick

39. Peterhead

40. Elgin

41. Montrose

42. Annan

This thread's been surprisingly good value. Virtually everybody's list looks reasonable on first look, until you notice that East Stirling have edged into the top 20, or something equally amusing :P

This thread's been surprisingly good value. Virtually everybody's list looks reasonable on first look, until you notice that East Stirling have edged into the top 20, or something equally amusing :P

East Stirlingshire!

Celtic, Aberdeen & Rangers have all won something in Europe. Dundee United got to a UEFA Cup final. Dundee famously contested a European Cup semi. A quick comparison between Hearts & Hibs, shows that Hibs gets the better of that argument as well.

So if you're at least 7th best in Scotland, I don't see the point in comparing yourselves to teams from England.

Erm, because he said Hearts had done "nothing in Europe", which is simply a highly innacurate statement.

As for Hibs: they won two ties to reach their semi-finals in Europe. Two.

Hearts had to win three just to reach the quarters, because that was when there wasn't only two men and their dog competing.

Their record over the past 30 years compared to ours is pitiful. Malmo ffs. :lol:

Also, the ten biggest clubs will always be the seven traditional city clubs, followed by Kilmarnock and Motherwell, who are roughly the same size, then St. Mirren.

Erm, because he said Hearts had done "nothing in Europe", which is simply a highly innacurate statement.

As for Hibs: they won two ties to reach their semi-finals in Europe. Two.

Hearts had to win three just to reach the quarters, because that was when there wasn't only two men and their dog competing.

Their record over the past 30 years compared to ours is pitiful. Malmo ffs. :lol:

HIGHLY INACCURATE ? What are you on hearts have reached one quarter final in 60 years of competition that is pathetic.

Did Hibs not reach the Semi Final of the Fairs cup, too?

I'm sure they have featured in quarter finals of European competitions. (Other than the ones where they reached the semis, obviously!)

celtic

rangers

Aberdeen

hearts

hibs

Dundee utd

Dundee

Kilmarnock

dunfermline

Falkirk

motherwell

st Mirren

partick

Morton

st johnstone

raith rovers

inverness

ayr

QoS

ross county

Hibs have reached 2semis and2 quarter finals.they got to the semis of the first ever European cup but Aberdeen where champions and wanted to play in the competition but the sfa would not let them and put hibs in instead.

HIGHLY INACCURATE ? What are you on hearts have reached one quarter final in 60 years of competition that is pathetic.

Erm, it's not. You're simply comparing it to the exceptional achievements of Aberdeen and Dundee United.

In my lifetime - which is ultimately what I actually care about and what is relevant to myself - no Scottish club outside the Old Firm has played in Europe more than Heart of Midlothian. Indeed, no Scottish club outside of Celtic and Rangers gets near Hearts in my lifetime.

Unlucky.

Erm, it's not. You're simply comparing it to the exceptional achievements of Aberdeen and Dundee United.

In my lifetime - which is ultimately what I actually care about and what is relevant to myself - no Scottish club outside the Old Firm has played in Europe more than Heart of Midlothian. Indeed, no Scottish club outside of Celtic and Rangers gets near Hearts in my lifetime.

Unlucky.

Dunfermline, Kilmarnock and Dundee have all reached European semi finals, too.

Dunfermline, Kilmarnock and Dundee have all reached European semi finals, too.

Good for them. My auld man might have even hit puberty by the time they did it.

Unlucky.

Well I don't know how old you are but hearts have qualified 21 times for Europe and Aberdeen 29 times.out of those 21 times hearts have been knocked out in the first round 12 times.no matter how you try to dress it up hearts have a v poor record in Europe.

Well I don't know how old you are but hearts have qualified 21 times for Europe and Aberdeen 29 times.out of those 21 times hearts have been knocked out in the first round 12 times.no matter how you try to dress it up hearts have a v poor record in Europe.

I'm in my early twenties.

I've seen Hearts qualify for the Champions League and become the first Scottish/British club to reach the UEFA/Europa League group stages. I've also seen us mix it with numerous household names.

Historically, Hearts were at the lowest ebb in their history when Aberdeen did what they did in Europe. Today, money dictates what non Old Firm clubs can do and Hearts have punched above their weight in that particular category.

London Hearts website has Hibs playing more games in Europe than Hearts, winning more games in Europe than Hearts which means they also have a higher win percentage, losing less games and scoring more goals....

London Hearts website has Hibs playing more games in Europe than Hearts, winning more games in Europe than Hearts which means they also have a higher win percentage, losing less games and scoring more goals....

Doesn't count - didn't happen in the last 20 years. :lol:

I'm in my early twenties.

I've seen Hearts qualify for the Champions League and become the first Scottish/British club to reach the UEFA/Europa League group stages. I've also seen us mix it with numerous household names.

Historically, Hearts were at the lowest ebb in their history when Aberdeen did what they did in Europe. Today, money dictates what non Old Firm clubs can do and Hearts have punched above their weight in that particular category.

The Dons weren't in great shape when Hearts qualified for European competition 5 times in the late 50s/early 60s, although what that's got do with anything is beyond me. Nevertheless, how far did Hearts progress when it was only two men and their dog competing?

Archived