Personal football injuries.

I was about 20 and had just done 6 days a week pre season with my sat and sun teams so was absolutely flying fitness wise. First pre season game, on red ash on a scorching August afternoon, the blaes were solid. 8-0 up against a horrendous pub team, their goalie kicks it very long towards my 18 yard box. I jumped up to catch it and a wee 5"4 fanny of a striker barges my in mid air and I put my arm down to break my fall...it didn't work. 3 breaks, 2 plates, 15 screws.

They're still in there and I was back playing in goal after 9 months I think. post-14336-14283197241424_thumb.jpg

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not had any, but my mate managed to tear a muscle off of his hip bone going in for an innocuous slide tackle. It appeared to be rather painful given his screams of agony and the amount of gas the paramedics gave him.

Broken leg , torn ligaments , stretched tendon , countless rolled ankles , 2 torn thigh muscles , torn groin ( kept me out longer than leg break ) chipped shinbone from when a defender went studs up and left me with what looks like a bullet hole in my leg. Hyperextension when a guy put his feet in front of the ball when I was shooting , out for a year with that.

ETA : also got hit in the face with a bike chain at a Renfrewshire Derby.

Torn quads... Twice. The second one was a few month ago and after about 60 mins I still feel it struggle, bit of a bummer tbh and had to leave my team for now as even training seems to hinder me now and again.

Anyone done anything unusual or any sort of strange football injury. Was playing today and had a really bad one. Was playing football and my left leg was planted in the ground. I went to spin my defender to the right and he slightly kicked my left knee and totally dislocated it. Its not only dislocated my whole knee but it's torn 2 ligaments with it and fair to say im lying in agony. Was on morphine and gas and air. Now got a long rehab and physio work ahead of me.

Anyone else ever had something similar who could share a bit of advice?

Run it off.

Two for me in general kick a bouts as a kid,

I was flying down the wing when a opposing player who was only playing to make up numbers ran in and tackled me n beside of the knee , badly pulling my knee ligaments.

Second one was playing headers and volleys with mates as we were in our early 30s ! Anyway I was in goal and a volley came in it was a great height for the keeper so I twisted in the air and used the wrong hand to tip it over the bar,

As I came down I landed n the side of my foot and we all heard a crack, and the pain was terrible, making it worse I had to drive home in first gear as I couldn't press the clutch pedal!

Took fucking ages then when home I phoned my then girlfriend, who took me to casualty took two hours to be seen and was told a bad sprain , but was in the summertime and was just back to work after two weeks holiday then another 4 weeks signed off, the ankles never been the same if I stood on a coin I'd go over it again now.

I've just remembered one I got playing in my last game in the Gold Coast League in Australia. I was taking the piss in the corner doing Cruyff turns and generally showboating and displaying unbelievable tekkers when their defender took offence at no-one getting a challenge in, ran over and put his studs into my knee from the side bending it inwards. Had to get carried off and didn't kick a ball again for about a year. w****r.

whatwas the players name?

I think I've been quite lucky compared to some people on here.

I play 5's every week and a couple of years ago me and this other guy went into eachother at full pelt for a 50-50 ball. I made contact with his standing leg, which was clearly stronger than mine, and I ended up almost vertical in the air. Managed to avoid landing on my head but my shoulder took the full force of the floor. Was in agony to the point where I thought I would spew. Couldn't move my arm and was convinced something had to be broken. Went to A&E (with the other guy kindly driving me) and was told it as muscle damage. Was referred for physio which took months to organise by which point I had basically rehabilitated it myself. Was a bugger trying to sleep, wipe my arse and shower. Was out the game for quite a few months.

While playing 5's, running forward towards the opposition goal but along the sideline getting closely marked I went to cross the ball by hitting off the back wall hoping the ball would end up at the penalty spot for my team mate to tap in.

I got shoulder charged while kicking the ball making me totally miss kick it but absolutely hammering it into the wall right in front of me, the ball basically came straight back at the defender marking me, hitting him in the testicles. He was down for 20 minutes then couldn't carry on.

I text him that night to see if he was alright, his wife text me back saying she had taken him to hospital because his scrotum had split and had went a dark red/purple colour and his hit testicle had swollen right up. He had to get an operation that night to sort it out. It wasn't a full rupture but there was a blood leak into his scrotum.

Just under two years ago now I was playing 7s at Toryglen the day after an absolutely brutal away day, I was definitely still steaming but thought I'd try and sweat the booze out. Made it through 55 minutes of stumbling around, then I tried to make a run but the pass intended to go ahead of me got deflected under my left foot as I went to put my (substantial) weight on it. Stood on the ball, slipped off and my ankle landed at 90 degrees to the ground. All the ligaments in my ankle popped and I went down screaming like a wean.

I was out for 4 months but in hindsight I think I came back too quickly, can no longer do any kind of exercise without a ridiculous amount of strapping up and getting dosed up on painkillers. Can only echo what others have said about rushing back from ligament injuries, it's really not worth it.

Largely managed to avoid injuries, barring a couple of muscle strains and a bone in my foot being broken.

When I was 16 or so, I did break another guys ankle. He had the ball and tried to shimmy past me, I took the ball with a sort of block challenge and put him up in the air at the same time. He had broken his ankle on a few occasions before though, which took a bit away from the notoriety the challenge gained me.

dislocated elbow was my worst in a single moment, my standing foot just slipped and i landed on both hands trying to cushion my fall, elbow popped out, doesnt take much to fix but i still cant straighten my arm as much as the other 5 years later

dislocated my finger in a cup semi final, popped it back in while running back into defence, was sore as f**k and the swelling didnt go down for nearly a week,

needed 3 stitches in the bawsack after being caught in a 50/50 when both of us hwent to ground to try and reach the ball first, i played the ball, he caught my baws, luckily i was playing at the recreation grounds next to the vicky in glasgow so a wee walk over there and 3 stitches later i was walking like john wayne :lol:

done my knee in through wear and tear, need to smear a shit load of freeze gel on it pre match just to get through games, next two or three days im still as f**k in that knee

but my worst is my two ankles, years and years of going over my ankle, some not so bad, some horrendous, and the doctors saying "rest it for 2 weeks minimum" but with me having 3 games a week (like most weans you played school football during the week and on sat, then maybe either a sat or a sunday game) taking 2 weeks out when your hyper as f**k isnt an option, ice the fucker for a day, strap the thing up then play on it.

now im 33 and i need to strap up both ankles before games no matter what, just turning sharply i can feel the weakness, i'll definitely suffer when im older without a doubt

some of the injuries on here sound fucking horrific, shows how stupid we are going back to football after being crocked like we have been

I've done my medial 3 times (two partial tears and a bad strain) each time while trying to take a ball on the volley/half volley. What other people are saying about rehab is true, I definately rushed back the first time. Interestingly despite retiring after the last one some 5 years ago I still had a lot of weakness in it despite regularly exercising. Went back to physio and it turned out that the muscle on the inside of my right thigh was very underdeveloped as a result of shielding my knee/not squatting properly etc. It's well worth making sure your form is perfect when rehabbing to avoid a similar problem.

Archived