Personal football injuries.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Numerous pulled muscles and knocked out/bloody noses from sticking neck out on the line as a defender, but the worst was when I played 5s with a few mates it was my turn to go in goals after we conceded and one of my mates who was in the opposite team hit a fierce shot. He has the hardest shot I have ever witnessed in the flesh so I either had the option to just let it go in or man up and do a Manuel Neuer. I chose the latter and went to save the ball with my right hand but the ball was hit that hard that it bent my fingers all the way back and touched my forearm, breaking my wrist in the process.

It is one of the worst pains I have ever known, only behind earache, and I threw up whilst I waited on my dad to give me a lift to A+E.

Happy footballing!

This has been an interesting read. I've actually noticed a kind of connection. You have all been injured whilst playing football or an alternative sport. On the other hand, I have never suffered from a sports-related injury, possibly because I don't play football and I don't exercise at all. I think these things are connected in some way.

Just a little bit of food for thought. Have you ever considered that you might have been injured because you've participated in a sport? If so, is exercise really worth the risk?

My latest (and current) injury is some sort of damage to my left ankle ligaments. Was in goals and went to close a guy down who was charging into the box, just as I got to him/went down my left toe caught a divet and I kept going as my foot stayed behind me. Instantly heard a snap and realised I'd either broken my ankle or done the ligaments in (done my right ankle ligaments twice, second time I heard three loud cracks and was terrified but it was just air escaping so knew the sound) luckily it was just ligament damage. Missus made me go down to A&E to see what the script was as we are getting married on 1st of May and she wanted to make sure that I didnt need a cast! Thankfully I didnt need one. That was a fortnight ago so if my right ankle is anything to go by I'll be out for another 8-10 weeks, cunting thing took ages to heal.

ETA: Numerous pulled/torn muscles but the worst has been when I have torn my right glute at some point playing football and never done anything about it/kept playing on it. Was told by a sports physio that it was causing my sciatica after going to a chiropractor for a year and a half. After 8-10 sessions with him I was brand new but I do get niggles now and then but just cant afford to go every week right now.

Dislocated both my knees numerous times, awful scenes. Its the feeling/sight more than the actual pain that gets me. Luckily both popped in themselves.

By far the worst pain ive ever had was when I tore ligaments. Stupidy didnt go to the doctor til it was too late and tried to struggle on, knee swelled up to the size of a balloon. I was standing at the supermarket one day and had the worst pain ever shoot up my entire leg. Awful stuff.

Do what the doctors say and take your time! Cant reccomend this enough!

I've played football a few times a week for the last fifteen or sixteen years and I have been really lucky with injuries. I am a fairly combative defender and end most games with skinned/bloody knees but I have never had any breaks or any serious pulled muscles. I must admit I have never been mega fit though so maybe because I haven't got finely tuned muscles it means I have managed to avoid any of that. Once I did fear a fractured eye socket after winning a header and then coming down onto the back of the head of the opposing striker but it was just really deep bruising.

My friend just posted a picture on Facebook of an injury he had to help yesterday in a match he was involved in and it looks horrific, really glad I have avoided any of that in my time playing football.

I once barged from behind (careful now!) at some sort of blaes pitch at Broadwood in a supporters match. I think the guy broke his collarbone. I felt pretty guilty about that one, especially after sneaking out and hearing his team mates rage that I never apologised.

If he's reading this, I'm sorry. The shame kept me from coming to say sorry.

I've been injured since about October and after my most recent injury won't be back playing until at least after Christmas. I blame playing against angry little men who just play so they can find a moderately acceptable way to be gratuitously violent. I think I'm going to sack it and take up table-tennis instead anyway.

I stopped playing 5s because of folk taking it too seriously. It's supposed to be fun, but you get fannies as described in the post above and it's just not worth it.

I've been injured since about October and after my most recent injury won't be back playing until at least after Christmas. I blame playing against angry little men who just play so they can find a moderately acceptable way to be gratuitously violent. I think I'm going to sack it and take up table-tennis instead anyway.

Yeah the 7's league I play in is full of complete arseholes. Last game we played someone intentionally stamped on the ankle of one of my mates while he was on the floor. There's taking it seriously and then there's just being a complete c**t.

Snapped my ankle when I was 15/16, but I was fucking hopeless anyway.

Had to stop playing 5s a few years ago after injuring my wrist saving a pile driver while taking a shot in goals - could have had an adverse effect on my already dodgy guitar playing. And my sex life.

I stopped playing 5s because of folk taking it too seriously. It's supposed to be fun, but you get fannies as described in the post above and it's just not worth it.

Games of 5s are much more fun when it is taken seriously, nothing worse than playing with folk who just want to fanny about

Done my ankle ligaments before which was a real pain in the arse as I was playing 6 days a week at the time and flying fitness wise. That's all though, not bad considering I've played since I was 6

Seen a few mates who were absolutely fantastic players when younger never get anywhere near their potential level because of constant niggling shitey injuries they kept getting as they got older

Yeah the 7's league I play in is full of complete arseholes. Last game we played someone intentionally stamped on the ankle of one of my mates while he was on the floor. There's taking it seriously and then there's just being a complete c**t.

Obviously when I said it's more fun when games are taken seriously I didn't mean like that. :lol:

Obviously when I said it's more fun when games are taken seriously I didn't mean like that. :lol:

Yeah I take it seriously myself, don't see the point in turning up if you're going to fanny about and not even try. However, some folk just take it a step too far for what is essentially just a bit of fun.

It depends where you draw the line at seriously. I'd like to think I take it fairly seriously when I'm playing 5s/7s, but there are few things worse than someone who takes it so seriously that they're right up your arse when the ball's stuck in the corner rather than letting you bring it out, or who goes tits at someone for not blocking a shot with their face in a glorified kickabout.

It depends where you draw the line at seriously. I'd like to think I take it fairly seriously when I'm playing 5s/7s, but there are few things worse than someone who takes it so seriously that they're right up your arse when the ball's stuck in the corner rather than letting you bring it out, or who goes tits at someone for not blocking a shot with their face in a glorified kickabout.

:lol:

Happened to me at the weekend. In a very, non-serious kick about. Nearly left me with a fractured jaw, instead it's just sprained ligaments, which means I can't chew properly. As well as knocking 2/3 of my front canine tooth out. Never once got an injury whilst playing seriously, bar a few pulled muscles.

:lol:

Happened to me at the weekend. In a very, non-serious kick about. Nearly left me with a fractured jaw, instead it's just sprained ligaments, which means I can't chew properly. As well as knocking 2/3 of my front canine tooth out. Never once got an injury whilst playing seriously, bar a few pulled muscles.

The top 2/3 or the bottom 2/3?

Archived