Motherwell vs St Mirren 07/04/15

Goodwin was hilariously bad last night, from heading the ball out for a corner in the 1st half with nobody near him, right up until Dom skinned him which resulted in a goal and Goodwin being subbed 2 minutes later. Glorious.

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like Goodwin the premiership needs characters like him. When he turned round to the crowd to say he'd only moved it forward a tiny bit and then pretended to spray vanishing spray I thought it was quite funny.

I like Goodwin the premiership needs characters like him. When he turned round to the crowd to say he'd only moved it forward a tiny bit and then pretended to spray vanishing spray I thought it was quite funny.

Agree with this - we need loonies like Goodwin - but I'm glad he doesn't play for us. I think a couple of seasons back, he was actually a damn good player as well - he looks like a shadow of that now. Thompson was the same when he came on - looks done to me but he'll be able to play on at a lower level no bother...

St Mirren looked pretty poor on the highlights - sair yin for the travelling fans to take!

Congrats to Motherwell who have played well the past few games.

How are you feeling as a Killie fan? Do you think your lot will be dragged into it? Tough couple of games you have before the split - Aberdeen and Celtic.

I completely forgot to mention Sutty last night, fair play to the guy. He must be averaging a goal every 15 mins or so over the last 3 games and his attitude even after being dropped to the bench despite usually being a certain starter over the last 18 months has been first class. Not a hint of a strop and always gives his all when he gets his chance.

It's a shame in a way because when he was starting this season he was usually isolated and starved of service. If he'd had Skippy alongside him and the deliveries from wide areas that Ainsworth and Johnson have been providing in recent weeks from the start of the season there's no doubt he'd be hitting 20 plus goals again like last season.

His total as it is considering how pish we've been this season up until recent weeks is still very impressive mind. I get the feeling sadly he might be on his way at the end of the season though.

I completely forgot to mention Sutty last night, fair play to the guy. He must be averaging a goal every 15 mins or so over the last 3 games and his attitude even after being dropped to the bench despite usually being a certain starter over the last 18 months has been first class. Not a hint of a strop and always gives his all when he gets his chance.

It's a shame in a way because when he was starting this season he was usually isolated and starved of service. If he'd had Skippy alongside him and the deliveries from wide areas that Ainsworth and Johnson have been providing in recent weeks from the start of the season there's no doubt he'd be hitting 20 plus goals again like last season.

His total as it is considering how pish we've been this season up until recent weeks is still very impressive mind. I get the feeling sadly he might be on his way at the end of the season though.

I noticed that he's joint 3rd top scorer in the league, which is mental. He's unfortunately a victim of the success of the Skippy/Erwin partnership which won't be broken up before the end of the season.

I'm sure someone mentioned earlier in the thread, over the last three games, he has played a total of 64 minutes, and scored 4 goals. My point was those 4 goals have been from a total of about 8 yards!

Completely agree regarding his attitude. First class indeed. Also agree, there's a fair chance he may well be moving on, which would be a shame as I doubt there's a Motherwell fan out there who doesn't like John Sutton. You could argue all day about his ability, but you could never accuse John Sutton of giving anything less than 100% every time he crosses that white line. Also, last night ensured he has got into double figures in each of his 5 seasons with Motherwell. Superb. BJSMN9!

I suppose it depends on who's all out of contract at the end of the season and who the manager wants to keep/bring in and what budget he has to play with, which is obviously dictated by what division we're playing in. Of all those whose contracts are up I'd say Sutton would be the one player I'd genuinely want to see the club make an effort to keep around the club. Regardless of his age he's proven season on season he's consistently worth goals in double figures.

I imagine he's on a decent salary and question is whether we could justify that for a player who, at the moment, is coming off the bench but I'd really hope that we'd at least try to keep hold of him. The fact that he's joint 3rd top scorer in the league playing in a team that for more than half of the season isolated him and gave him next to no service is remarkable.

As far as i'm aware, the following are out contract

Simon Ramsden, Lionel Ainsworth, Paul Lawson, John Sutton, Iain Vigurs, Mark O'Brien (loan), Bob McHugh, Josh Law, Lee Erwin, Fraser Kerr, Adam Cummins, Anthony Straker (loan), Conor Grant (loan), Scott McDonald.

I'd be surprised if more than two from that list are Motherwell players next season.

Lee Erwin looks like a cracking prospect. Looks like a proper all around modern number 9 in that he's quick, tall, strong and most importantly can put the ball in the back of the net.

Reminds me of the type of striker in the Lukaku mould (and I know he's not as good before anyone calls me deluded) and really hope for Scotland's sake he progresses well.

Having said all this Celtic will probably poach him and barely play him. Or he'll end up on the bench for an English League One side. Hopefully not, and well done Motherwell for bringing him through.

As far as i'm aware, the following are out contract

Simon Ramsden, Lionel Ainsworth, Paul Lawson, John Sutton, Iain Vigurs, Mark O'Brien (loan), Bob McHugh, Josh Law, Lee Erwin, Fraser Kerr, Adam Cummins, Anthony Straker (loan), Conor Grant (loan), Scott McDonald.

I'd be surprised if more than two from that list are Motherwell players next season.

Cheers, I wasn't sure about Erwin's contract situation. Obviously he fits with the new owner's criteria of bringing through young players with potential sell on value so hopefully he'll follow Dom Thomas and Luke Watt in extending his deal. Agree with you though, I can't see too many of those being retained.

I'm led to believe Erwin's contract extension is imminent. Although, the longer is goes without being signed, the more worried i'd be!

I'd love for us to re-sign McDonald, although whether that's affordable is another matter. Same again with Sutton, can we afford someone like that, who I would assume would be one of our top earners, to sit on the bench for most games?

Would fully expect Ramsden, Lawson, Vigurs, Kerr, Cummins and loan guys to leave with the minimum of fuss. Also forgetting Laing & Long would be due back to their clubs. As for Josh Law - who knows? I would have driven him home myself a couple of months back, but he's made himself the first-choice right back. I'd certainly give him another year, develop him in the way that Tom Hateley was. A midfielder is his own head, but a very capable full-back for Motherwell.

Lee Erwin looks like a cracking prospect. Looks like a proper all around modern number 9 in that he's quick, tall, strong and most importantly can put the ball in the back of the net.

Earlier in this thread I was saying how those highlights of the 3-2 comeback game last season reminded me of how much we miss what a fit Thommo brought to our team. And then Erwin gave a textbook demonstration of exactly the same thing. Someone who can control the ball, hold it up, and get a shot away.

Erwin took 18 minutes last night to match the striking output of any of our forwards this season. :blink:

Archived