The Witcher 3

spud131

Went back to this after about a month away from it and got a nice surprise with the new interface which is terrific, and a huge improvement on what was there. I'd planned on finishing the game and completing the first DLC before B&W came out, but work has gotten in the way, so I'm still kicking about between Velen & Skellige. Velen is just a few side quests and some undiscovered locations to go check out before it's totally done, and I've already done a couple of the main quests in Skellige. Should get the main story polished off by next weekend.

Another thing I noticed after the latest update was a couple of quests automatically failed as soon as I loaded the game up. Nothing important, but annoying all the same. Another quest involving Radovoid (?) and Triss partly fails if I try and go near Triss - even though going to talk to her is part of the quest! It also knocked a good 1000xp or so off my experience. I was about 1000xp in to level 19, yet it had went back to 1500/1500 and level 18. And it knocked about 70 hours off my play time as well. Nothing game breaking, but little annoyances.

Just finished Hearts of Stone.  No spoilers, but apart from the slightly weak ending, think it gives you the best quest-line they've ever done in the Olgierd one.  Got pretty dark towards the end too, towards Dark Souls/Silent Hill territory.

Bought Blood and Wine last night, and probably managed to download about half a gig of it.  Just going to work through the quests I have left to give a clean slate, then maybe make a dent in the hundreds of undiscovered locations (seriously, there's so many), then looking forward to getting started on it.

Ive started playing this again tonight, just continued from the save i started earlier in the year, Im in Skellege

Just completed the Necomancy part with Yennifer

I was heading back to the main island by boat, grabbing some undiscovered locations on the way when some b*****d sirens sunk my boat. Having to swim back to the island now FFS :lol:

I haven't finished Blood and Wine but have to say I'm a little underwhelmed by the main storyline so far. The writing seems a little off, as if it's a first draft that they haven't really knocked into shape yet - quite often you're left pointing out obvious holes in the plot or the characters' actions to yourself. Still, the world is wonderful.

I've sunk endless hours in to the Witcher 3 but I've never bothered to work out what the hell is going on in Gwent. Is it really worth making the effort?

It's very simple to pick up and a brilliant wee game of strategy.

Now that it's coming out as a full standalone game I'm glad I took the time to pick it up.

Assume you'll be playing against other humans, as I've just been hammering every NPC bar the girl in the high stakes tournament (playing an extra decoy card worked) first time for ages now as I went about the collect them all achievement.

I thought gwent was awesome when I was playing the game. So satisfying if the opponent had a deck of monsters filling up the infantry slot while you sit gleefully with frost in your hand. Wouldn't have thought a standalone game would come out of it though to be fair.

gwent is fantastic and actually really simple, highest score wins a round, best of 3. There are 3 rows of cards (look at the symbols on the cards to see where each one will go when placed, it will match one of the symbols on one of the rows.) There are cards, frost, rain and fog which affect the field and reduce all cards on that row to 1, bare in mind these cards affect both you and the opponent. The only exemption to this are the  special cards which have orange around them and are usually worth 10+ points. frost affects row 1, fog row 2 and rain row 3, daylight clears the field. Cards with the eye symbol, such as djikstra will boost the other players score but give you 2 new cards from your unused deck.

For example if you have the rain card, play your cards on rows 1 and 2 and then use the rain card towards the end of the game to reduce the opponents score on row 3. 

Edited by killie_lad

gwent is fantastic and actually really simple, highest score wins a round, best of 3. There are 3 rows of cards (look at the symbols on the cards to see where each one will go when placed, it will match one of the symbols on one of the rows.) There are cards, frost, rain and fog which affect the field and reduce all cards on that row to 1, bare in mind these cards affect both you and the opponent. The only exemption to this are the  special cards which have orange around them and are usually worth 10+ points. frost affects row 1, fog row 2 and rain row 3, daylight clears the field. Cards with the eye symbol, such as djikstra will boost the other players score but give you 2 new cards from your unused deck.

For example if you have the rain card, play your cards on rows 1 and 2 and then use the rain card towards the end of the game to reduce the opponents score on row 3. 

I don't really bother with weather cards now, I do have the leader ability to clear weather in case someone tries it against me, just play it at the end of the round. 

Think the main thing to learn is that it's often best to lose the first round if your opponent spunks all their best cards, which the NPCs do quite often, though some are better than others. Particularly if you play lots of the spy cards (like Dijkstra) and end up with about 15 cards in the last round when they have about 8

This was one of my best efforts, certainly the one that got me the over 200 achievement.

post-107-0-07846600-1465927801_thumb.jpg

Would be OK to play against other real people though I'm not sure I'd be shelling out much on it. I'm sure you'll just be able to buy all the best cards anyway rather than earn them.

^ obviously was a dick to Ciri and didn't get the good ending

Aye, checked the ending and it turns out if you're overprotective of ciri then she ends up doubting herself and then...well people will know the rest.

Going to have another play-through, as I'm sure I wasn't that far away decision wise to have a different ending.

Said before but that’s probably my main bugbear about the game, that you can play through the main story and trillions of side missions for hours and the outcome of the main story hinges on 4 or 5 conversation choices, some of which have a countdown timer and you have to react instantly.

Same with the HoS ending, though at least you can go back and replay the last mission to get the different ending.