Queens v Dumbarton

Congrats to Dumbarton on staying up by a distance. Maybe surviving in this league as part-timers is not quite as tough as it was, say , 15 years ago when Arbroath did it, followed by ourselves but it still says a lot about Murray and the his team.

I was pretty confident throughout today's game but, as at Alloa, we made pretty heavy weather of it against a well organised side. Once they went two down, Dumbarton made subs and showed more attacking intent. I thought we were pretty slack and laboured in that spell and the consolation goal was a gift.

We should rest some key players for the Livi game now. Don't think I'll bother giving Almondvale my dosh next Saturday.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

CONGRATULATIONS to James Fowler and the whole squad on securing the play off spot today.I am sure there will be team changes for the Livi game, I think Holt is only 1 booking away from suspension so will surely be rested along with any others that need a wee break before the play offs start.

Great effort from the whole club in securing 4th spot & not breaking the bank in doing so.

Not a great game. It was about the result though and the job is done with a week to spare even if Falkirk did try their damnedest to keep the race alive another week!

First half was awful, livened up only by one piece of good football from us which saw Lyle place a perfect header back across the keeper only for Rogers to produce a stunning save with his feet to keep it out. That and Beanie's worrying head knock. Turner was a wee bit unlucky to be booked. It's a foul and he was, as usual, late, but it was the way Russell turned over and landed on his head and neck which caused the problem more than the actual challenge I think.

Second half was a little better. Apart from the two goals Lyle also had one in the net, Kidd probably should have scored late on and Paton had one headed off the line quite spectacularly after Reilly pounced on a short backpass. For their part Atkinson did well to tip one Dumbarton effort over and then McCallum scored a neat finish albeit from a horrible Durnan error.

Wasn't a vintage performance by any means but we deserved the win.

That's the way I saw it as well but I wasn't sure if it was due to my Sons tinted spectacles, the tackle itself was nothing out of the ordinary but Beanie landed heavily on his neck/head. I guess with injuries in that area you can't take any risks and hopefully he's ok. Did look like he might have been slightly concussed when he left the pitch.

Rogers save from Lyle was incredible. I think absolutely every single person in the stadium thought it was in. He's got to be favourite for POTY.

If McCallum doesn't start next week I'm bringing the 'Murray Oot!' banner. 1 goal every 13 minutes in the league is a stunning record. He's also only 1 behind Campbell who's made 29 more appearances than him. Looks a real talent.

Not a great game. It was about the result though and the job is done with a week to spare even if Falkirk did try their damnedest to keep the race alive another week!

First half was awful, livened up only by one piece of good football from us which saw Lyle place a perfect header back across the keeper only for Rogers to produce a stunning save with his feet to keep it out. That and Beanie's worrying head knock. Turner was a wee bit unlucky to be booked. It's a foul and he was, as usual, late, but it was the way Russell turned over and landed on his head and neck which caused the problem more than the actual challenge I think.

Second half was a little better. Apart from the two goals Lyle also had one in the net, Kidd probably should have scored late on and Paton had one headed off the line quite spectacularly after Reilly pounced on a short backpass. For their part Atkinson did well to tip one Dumbarton effort over and then McCallum scored a neat finish albeit from a horrible Durnan error.

Wasn't a vintage performance by any means but we deserved the win.

How is beany ?

That's the way I saw it as well but I wasn't sure if it was due to my Sons tinted spectacles, the tackle itself was nothing out of the ordinary but Beanie landed heavily on his neck/head. I guess with injuries in that area you can't take any risks and hopefully he's ok. Did look like he might have been slightly concussed when he left the pitch.

Rogers save from Lyle was incredible. I think absolutely every single person in the stadium thought it was in. He's got to be favourite for POTY.

If McCallum doesn't start next week I'm bringing the 'Murray Oot!' banner. 1 goal every 13 minutes in the league is a stunning record. He's also only 1 behind Campbell who's made 29 more appearances than him. Looks a real talent.

Yep it was a robust challenge and a foul but not a booking IMO but once the ref saw that Beanie was that hurt, I think he thought he should do more. It was the awkward fall that was to blame though .

Ha! As for the Lyle "miss" , it's a Meekins moment for me, as I didn't know / see that Rogers had stopped it going in. Angles, eh, what are they like?

Foul on Russell wasn't that bad the way he turned he flew and landed awkwardly. Was a foul but not a booking and restricted how turner could tackle rest of game. Great finish from mccallum . Queens deserved it but sons did compete and play better than of late

Dumbarton ended the game well I thought and might have nicked an equaliser.

What was it all about at end of game . Our bus diverted wrong way up one way through red lights by police to avoid troop of queens fans waiting to attack the bus if we left by normal route including bypass.

The Police like to overreact down here. Makes them feel important

Without delivering a great performance, we deserved to win that.

We were flat in the first half, only really producing much football during that terrific move that led to the Lyle header diverted by the goalkeeper's legs (did it hit the post too?).

In the second, we got on top following Holt's scrappy goal. We might have got more before McKenna's clever shot looked to have made it safe.

It was therefore annoying to lose a goal, but I thought it owed more to a smart dummy than a defensive howler.

We've definitely had a good league season, capped by a pretty fantastic April.

Fourth spot is very comfortably ours now and plenty of credit is due.

Credit to those Dumbarton fans who turned up in fancy dress. Their team had nothing to play for yet they still turned up to support them. In fact I would say the Dumbarton fans where the more vocal in a very subdued first half. The " shall we sing in a song for you" made me smile.

Onto the game, well that's as poor a performance as I've seen all season at Palmerston but I suppose it was all about the result.

I now fully expect it will be Sevco at home on the 9th of May with a full house. Bring it on.

Beanie, looks like bad karma's caught up with him.

I'll bite.

Meaning what exactly? The guy can go down with minimal contact (yes, contact) but other than that he's hardly a nasty or dirty player. Winning soft free kicks hardly makes him worthy of a bad looking injury.

Onto the game, well that's as poor a performance as I've seen all season at Palmerston but I suppose it was all about the result.

I wouldn't agree that it was an especially poor performance.

We weren't great, but were comfortably in command for nearly all of it and might have won by a bigger margin.

What was it all about at end of game . Our bus diverted wrong way up one way through red lights by police to avoid troop of queens fans waiting to attack the bus if we left by normal route including bypass.

Did they seriously divert our bus because of a bunch of 12 year olds? :lol: how embarassing for all involved, from the weans to the polis :lol:

We had a similar problem at out last game at Raith Rovers. We were advised to leave by a different route because a small group of children were waiting along the road with malicious intent. I thought at the time perhaps the police should be dispersing this crowd of urchins rather than pandering to their threat and making them feel important. I'm not sure what the trigger was for these rascals to want to cause trouble, it's not as if there is a history of bad feeling between the sets of supporters.

I wouldn't agree that it was an especially poor performance.

We weren't great, but were comfortably in command for nearly all of it and might have won by a bigger margin.

I certainly wouldn't have said it was a particularly poor performance. If that's what it's going to go down as in the history books then it shows just how spoiled we've been of late!

The first half was fairly low on entertainment. It still saw us creating a few chances, including one excellent move involving 20+ passes that resulted in a great save from the Dumbarton 'keeper. We also managed to comfortably restrict the number of Dumbarton chances in that period as well.

The second half was virtually one way traffic, with the result never looking in much doubt.

Credit to those Dumbarton fans who turned up in fancy dress. Their team had nothing to play for yet they still turned up to support them. In fact I would say the Dumbarton fans where the more vocal in a very subdued first half. The " shall we sing in a song for you" made me smile.Onto the game, well that's as poor a performance as I've seen all season at Palmerston but I suppose it was all about the result.I now fully expect it will be Sevco at home on the 9th of May with a full house. Bring it on.

How many Dumbarton fans made the trip SD ?

Archived