Euro 2016 format

HibeeJibee

Assuming the top 24 ranked European teams qualify here's the seeding projection as it stands

Pot 1: France*, Germany, Belgium, Netherlands, Romania, England

Pot 2: Portugal, Spain, Croatia, Italy, Czech Republic, Slovakia

Pot 3: Wales, Austria, Switzerland, Denmark, Iceland, Bosnia-Herz

Pot 4: Poland, Scotland, Ukraine, The Failed Statelet, Greece, Sweden

How have Switzerland gone from being seeded in the WC last year to likely 3rd seeds in the Euros?

The seeding at the Euros is done by UEFA coefficient, while the seeding for a World Cup is based on World Rankings.

That's a weird selection of teams there - I'm struggling to work out how it has been determined. Russia don't seem to be listed, but I'd imagine they're certainly ranked above lots of the teams listed there.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The seeding at the Euros is done by UEFA coefficient, while the seeding for a World Cup is based on World Rankings.

That's a weird selection of teams there - I'm struggling to work out how it has been determined. Russia don't seem to be listed, but I'd imagine they're certainly ranked above lots of the teams listed there.

I took it from a site that is projecting seeding for the world cup qualifying, moving France up to p1 and then ranking the next 23. I didn't realise they use a different ranking system and of course forgot about Russia because they aren't involved in the world cup preliminaries.

Assuming the top 24 ranked European teams qualify here's the seeding projection as it stands

How have Switzerland gone from being seeded in the WC last year to likely 3rd seeds in the Euros?

'Cause their top seeding was due to clever manipulation of the ranking system. Everyone knows their team wasn't good enough to merit that position. Pot 3 seems about right.

How on Earth are Romania ranked so highly? England and Belgium ought to feel fortunate to finish above some of the teams in Pot 2 as well.

So if there's a group with a diddy in it then the tie-break between the proper competitive sides would come down to who thrashed the diddy team by the most goals? I prefer a method which allows the tie-break to be based on direct competition between the teams involved. Goal difference causes just as many "moral" problems, if not more.

Also, the example you gave about Spain thrashing Bulgaria 6-1 is irrelevant, given that Paraguay finished a point ahead of them. Goal difference was used in the World Cup.

Already explained the error...i wasn't using the Spanish result as an example. Where i'm coming from here, is that in example of a three-way tie break, the last sixteen is asking for the best third placed sides. How can a known and executed mutually beneficial result like the 2-2 draw in 2004 be a good thing going into a final match....it renders the other final match obselete. On the flip side, here's another very likely scenario.....back in the days of the 24 team WC, many teams made it through on just two points, or equivalent at that time to a win. Let's say team 1 wins the group, beating all the others 1-0, 2-0 and 3-0, thus finishing with 9 points. The other three cut each other's throats, with the team which lost 3-0 defeating the side who only lost 1-0 to the group winners (the scoreline would be irrelevant, they would automatically finish above them, irrespective of the outcomes of the other two matches). The said 1-0 losers then defeat the 2-0 losers by 1-0, who in turn thrash the 3-0 losers to take second place. The side which thrn finishes bottom, would, in a head to head with the ither 3rds, almost certainly progress....but are prevented from doing so using the group formula. Sporting integrity, etc.

Imagine getting to a finals and landing a group like Romania, Czech Rep and Denmark....WE COULD WIN THIS!

Imagine getting to a finals and landing a group like Romania, Czech Rep and Denmark....WE COULD WIN THIS!

Still wouldn't be putting any money on it :P

Are Denmark really the worst team in that Pot 3? How times change...

Archived