Euro 2016 format

HibeeJibee

Might have been mentioned in some other thread, but I see that UEFA has re-confirmed the format and scheduling details for Euro 2016.

Wallchart: http://www.uefa.com/MultimediaFiles/Download/competitions/General/02/09/59/58/2095958_DOWNLOAD.pdf

Opening match is on Friday 10th June... then 3 group matches per day from Saturday 11th June to Tuesday 14th (only 2 on the Tuesday) for the first round of group games. Followed by 3 group matches per day from Wednesday 15th to Saturday 18th, for the second round of group games. Basically like the World Cup.

Concluding group games are Sunday 19th (Group A), Monday 20th (Group B), Tuesday 21st (Groups C-D) and Wednesday 22nd (Groups E-F).

Of course the top 2 in each group and the best 4 third-place qualify. So there is then a complicated series of either/or's for the knockout draw:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2016#Knockout_phase_structure

and a 2-day break to accommodate that.

Last 16 are Saturday 25th June (3 games), Sunday 26th (3 games) and Monday 27th (2 games). Then another 2-day break.

Unusually the QFs are then spread-out over 4 days from Thursday 30th June to Sunday 3rd July. Then another 2-day break.

Semi-Finals on Wednesday 6th & Thursday 7th July, and Final on Sunday 10th July. No third-fourth place playoff.

Quite long but plenty action.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very informative. Any word on who we're playing in the final? :P

Only kidding. Seeing as how we're going back to the old '80s World Cup format, it'll be a third-place finish and a group stage exit.

Basically ruining what was a decent format by having too many teams qualifying

I dunno. I kinda miss the end-of-stage gangbang for the best third place slots, despite the inevitable qualification of at least one team with a shocking record. Technically, you can get through with a couple of draws.

Let's look on the bright side - we could be that awful team! :P

Personally I've always thought that expanding to 24 teams was too many, particularly given the format sees 2/3 of the 3rd place finishers progress and 2/3 of the finalists making the knockout round. Euros had always seemed a straightforward competition and broadly high quality.

However, makes it easier for Scotland to qualify.

If you think about it the 3rd place thing is a bit unfair when the groups don't all finish at the same time? It'll be easier to know what's required to qualify, if you're in Groups E&F particularly.

If you think about it the 3rd place thing is a bit unfair when the groups don't all finish at the same time? It'll be easier to know what's required to qualify, if you're in Groups E&F particularly.

I think it led to more cynical play at the World Cups too. Countries like Uruguay would regularly shitfest their way past the group stage without even attempting to win matches, and I don't think we've seen anything close to the appalling stand-off of Italy 1990's Group F since the tournament expanded to 32 teams.

I've got a strange fondness for the 24 team system, but the overall quality of football has undeniably been improved by forcing the teams to rack up a win or two.

Already got plans to head over to the Euros for a mates 40th. Going to start in Marseille, head up to Lyon midweek and then possibly back to Marseille. That plan might change if Scotland make it but will be booking digs in the next week or so!

Not a great format not easy though with 24 teams. 8 groups of 3 teams would be cool and every match would mean a lot and have the top 2 go into the knockout round. Any decent team would still have at least 3 games.

Could also have the groups as they are with a 2nd group phase with 4 groups of 3 with winners progressing to semi finals.

I think the ideal number would have been 20 teams - 5 groups of 4. Group winners and best runners up go through and the remaining runners up go into play off round or have 5 group winners getting a bye with runners up and best 3rd placed team going into play off round. Think Rugby world cup done something like this before going to 4 groups of 4 teams.

I think the ideal number would have been 20 teams - 5 groups of 4. Group winners and best runners up go through and the remaining runners up go into play off round or have 5 group winners getting a bye with runners up and best 3rd placed team going into play off round. Think Rugby world cup done something like this before going to 4 groups of 4 teams.

This.

RWC 1999.

• 1 month later...

I've said up til now I'll only go if Scotland do but I'm not getting any younger and the 3 major tournaments after this (pending unlikely re-awarding of world cups) all seem pretty shithouse so going to sort out potential travel companions and go for it anyway.

Cities dovetail quite nicely into 5 pairs that are close together- Lens and Lille, Toulouse and Bordeaux, Lyon and St Etienne, Marseille and Nice, and the 2 Paris grounds so will make applications based on that. Worst case scenario, should be able to punt tickets on.

Lens sounds like an absolute shithole though, even the Wikitravel page says there's f**k all there.

Anyone know if you can pay for tickets via Debit Card? Selected games and stuff yesterday but didn't go past the payment bit just incase. It came to €2015. I know there's next to no chance of getting 4 tickets for all 4 games selected, but suppose I need that kind of money in my account just incase.

Anyone know if you can pay for tickets via Debit Card? Selected games and stuff yesterday but didn't go past the payment bit just incase. It came to €2015. I know there's next to no chance of getting 4 tickets for all 4 games selected, but suppose I need that kind of money in my account just incase.

:blink:

At that price, does Michel Platini let you go "around the world" before or after the game?

Archived