Euro 2016 format

HibeeJibee

The four best third placed teams thing does add a bit of drama, even if it allows for shitfesting.

Look at Scotland in 1990. After finishing 3rd in our group behind Brazil and Costa Rica and ahead of a very disappointing Sweden -

1. Needed Germany to beat/gub Columbia. It ended 1-1 with the Columbian equaliser coming late in the game. Bugger.

2. Needed South Korea to hold Uruguay. We got treated to a "let's go live" moment to see Uruguay score from the last free kick of the game. Shit.

3. Needed the two games in England's group to end 1-0 and we were into a draw for lots with Austria. England and Holland were 1-0 up, then Ireland equalised and that was our World Cup finally over. Bollox.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:blink:

At that price, does Michel Platini let you go "around the world" before or after the game?

Haha. It's for 4 tickets each for 4 games in the Cat 1&2 sections. Obviously would never get them all, but need the money in my bank just in case.

Haha. It's for 4 tickets each for 4 games in the Cat 1&2 sections. Obviously would never get them all, but need the money in my bank just in case.

As far as I'm aware they tell you what tickets you get & when they will take the payment after applications close.

So how does this work- I think it's a bit of a rip-off to take money up front and refund it if you're unsuccesful, but surely otherwise folk will just apply for loads of tickets on the basis they're not going to get them all?

As far as I'm aware they tell you what tickets you get & when they will take the payment after applications close.

Ahhh. That would be ok then. My worry was that they would just attempt to take the money as soon as the tickets had been allocated. If I had a day or two to collect the money off my mates it would be fine.

Checked t&c's and they take the payment straight away. If you don't have enough in the bank they cancel the application.

If you are allocated tickets, payment will be due in Euro. Tickets can only be bought by credit card (MasterCard and Visa accepted) and must be valid until at least 31 August 2015. Successful applicants’ credit cards will be charged automatically and immediately. By debiting the credit card, the transaction will be made final. Applicants are responsible for ensuring that sufficient credit is available on the card. If payment is not possible, the application will automatically be cancelled, and the tickets will be given to another applicant. There will be no second attempt to charge the card. The results of the random draw will be announced no later than 15 August 2015.

Your credit card will be debited from UEFA - EURO 2016 – Avenue Kleber 112 – 75773 - Paris Cedex 16 – 1260. The Merchant ID that will appear on your bank statement is 101301211.

I read this as meaning they charge your card once tickets are allocated not at application stage.

Even so, I wouldn't pay that much, even for a ticket to Judith Ralston's live ice cream and cocaine themed sex show.

As a birthday present for Mozza, of course.

Euro2016 Ticket Frenzy thread for this pish. On a more formatty-themed subject, UEFA's differing tiebreaker criteria i'd imagine will throw up a whole new concoction of skulduggery with the final group fixtures. 2004, and Italy's 6-1 demolition job on Bulgaria was rendered absolutely meaningless after Denmark and Sweden played out/manufactured a 2-2 draw, after both had defeated the Bulgars and drew 0-0 and 1-1 with the Eyeties earlier. Fast forward 4 years, and Croatia, Holland, and Portugal had 1st place sealed after two games, rested their key players and all tumbled at the last eight, based purely on direct results. My understanding of this is that despite the fact that it's entirely possible for the same to occur again (Usa94 had a group with Argentina Nigeria and Bulgaria slapping Greece about something stupid, and all finished on 6 points) is it something which Uefa are prepared to move on if, as the 3rd place finishes dictate, that its possibke for a team to actually have the best record in their group, and possibly the tournament, yet exit the competition?? I know alls fair if we all know the rules, but i find it duplicitous that group.placings are of no reflection on every match in the group, yet its used as a form of splitting up the third placed sides who havent faced one another whatsoever.

Euro2016 Ticket Frenzy thread for this pish. On a more formatty-themed subject, UEFA's differing tiebreaker criteria i'd imagine will throw up a whole new concoction of skulduggery with the final group fixtures. 2004, and Italy's 6-1 demolition job on Bulgaria was rendered absolutely meaningless after Denmark and Sweden played out/manufactured a 2-2 draw, after both had defeated the Bulgars and drew 0-0 and 1-1 with the Eyeties earlier. Fast forward 4 years, and Croatia, Holland, and Portugal had 1st place sealed after two games, rested their key players and all tumbled at the last eight, based purely on direct results. My understanding of this is that despite the fact that it's entirely possible for the same to occur again (Usa94 had a group with Argentina Nigeria and Bulgaria slapping Greece about something stupid, and all finished on 6 points) is it something which Uefa are prepared to move on if, as the 3rd place finishes dictate, that its possibke for a team to actually have the best record in their group, and possibly the tournament, yet exit the competition?? I know alls fair if we all know the rules, but i find it duplicitous that group.placings are of no reflection on every match in the group, yet its used as a form of splitting up the third placed sides who havent faced one another whatsoever.

You're talking shite.

Sweden beat Bulgaria 5-0 and Denmark beat them 2-0, since the games between the top 3 were all draws, the group was determined by whoever beat Bulgaria by the most goals.

Had your phantom "6-1" game actually happened the Italians would have gone through at Denmark's expense. What actually happened, of course, is that the Azzuri had to come from behind and score a 94th minute winner to win 2-1.

I read this as meaning they charge your card once tickets are allocated not at application stage.

Yeah same. I was wondering if they allocated the tickets then gave you a time to pay by.

Hands up. Spain fucked Bulgaria, in 98 and went out. Confused, but not wrong otherwise. 2-2 was the very score required to lock the Italians out whatever their result was against Bulgaria due to goals scored between the teams involved in the tiebreak. Its still.completely relevant in how a team knows what it needs to get third place next year, with no.eye whatsoever required on second place because of the rules, and is completely open to further 'mutual' results like the Viking carve-up.

You're talking shite.

Sweden beat Bulgaria 5-0 and Denmark beat them 2-0, since the games between the top 3 were all draws, the group was determined by whoever beat Bulgaria by the most goals.

Had your phantom "6-1" game actually happened the Italians would have gone through at Denmark's expense. What actually happened, of course, is that the Azzuri had to come from behind and score a 94th minute winner to win 2-1.

Wrong. It went to gd between the three tied sides so 2-2 so both scandanavia sides through regardless of how Italy got in having free 1-1 with Sweden and 0-0 with Denmark.

Well, aye. The final standings should reflect every major incident, ie scoring and conceding goals, in its standings. Especially as those two factors are the only feasible manner of deciding who the four best 3rd placed teams will be. There will be enough confusion throughout those final matches as it is, without adding to it further. If you find a team in 3rd place on 6 points (entirely possible with six groups) and with a superior gd to 1st and 2nd, but found their direct results inferior to those, (be it they win and lose a match to each of to them 1-0, but the 1st v 2nd game ends up 2-1 or 3-2), whqt is the best team in the group then could feasibly play a 1st placed team which has finished potentially on just 5 points (or even four...Mexico in 1994) instead of facing their rightful 3rd placed opponent. Of course, with only three matches, they should really only know they've won the group after the final match, unless they have absolutely thrashed their first two opponents, but again gd is a last last absolutely the last resort. Expect a lot of tactical results in the same vein as the Sweden Denmark match, but it could be a gamble if teams deliberately take it to game 3.

Assuming the top 24 ranked European teams qualify here's the seeding projection as it stands

Pot 1: France*, Germany, Belgium, Netherlands, Romania, England

Pot 2: Portugal, Spain, Croatia, Italy, Czech Republic, Slovakia

Pot 3: Wales, Austria, Switzerland, Denmark, Iceland, Bosnia-Herz

Pot 4: Poland, Scotland, Ukraine, The Failed Statelet, Greece, Sweden

How have Switzerland gone from being seeded in the WC last year to likely 3rd seeds in the Euros?

So if there's a group with a diddy in it then the tie-break between the proper competitive sides would come down to who thrashed the diddy team by the most goals? I prefer a method which allows the tie-break to be based on direct competition between the teams involved. Goal difference causes just as many "moral" problems, if not more.

Also, the example you gave about Spain thrashing Bulgaria 6-1 is irrelevant, given that Paraguay finished a point ahead of them. Goal difference was used in the World Cup.

Archived