Brechin v Alloa

Excellent result. The first goal on Saturday will be key. Brechin got it two years ago after the same result in the first leg and made a real game of it. All to play for still but very happy indeed to come back from the Glebe with a 2 goal lead.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That was a total let down ! Players have set themselves high stándards all season and fell way below that tonight! Alloa were hard working and in our faces all night nothing flashy but effective !!!Deserved their 2 0 win but a quick goal down there and ties wide open ! As mentioned only Tapping showed any spark tonight ! Players have done well all season and a shame we might go out on a whimper !! Nvr a foul let alone a booking for Pabs in last min that eventually cost us a goal but 2 0 fair result !!

Alloa by far and away deserved winners tonight. Second half they were especially dominant. Was disappointed in Brechin - expected a lot more from them with their recent form. Pongo was different class I though - his ball for the first goal was sublime. Benedictus was excellent too - didn't lose a thing at the back.

Wee mention for the ref - absolutely atrocious for both sides. Missed so many fouls. The hand ball decision near the end was baffling - clearly strikes the Brechin defenders hand and the ref is pointing at his shoulder.

Alloa by far and away deserved winners tonight. Second half they were especially dominant. Was disappointed in Brechin - expected a lot more from them with their recent form. Pongo was different class I though - his ball for the first goal was sublime. Benedictus was excellent too - didn't lose a thing at the back.

Wee mention for the ref - absolutely atrocious for both sides. Missed so many fouls. The hand ball decision near the end was baffling - clearly strikes the Brechin defenders hand and the ref is pointing at his shoulder.

Agree with all of this. McCord was my Man of the Match tonight, excellent control and passing on what I thought was a really bumpy pitch. I'm expecting both ourselves and Brechin to play better and create more chances at The Indodrill on Saturday. I was surprised to see him taken off, although I'd lost track of time and didn't realise there was only 10 minutes left to go.

Thought the referee was very lenient to both teams, let play run on from a lot of fouls (and I don't mean he used the advantage rule). Aside from the handball incident his ineptitude was fairly even for both sides during the second half, although I reckon the decisions went more for Alloa in the first, very un-Colvin-like!

Was worried about Brechin's threat before the game tonight, Trouten and Jackson especially, but the defence were very solid and Gibson was rarely troubled at all. Not complaining! Both those players were subbed during the second half for two ex-Alloa loanees in Thomson and Tapping but I expect both will start the second leg anyway. Our defence does seem a lot more settled with Gibson behind them and they seem to be able to concentrate more on bringing the ball out and playing passes rather than just clearing it now, which is enabling us to keep more possession and get our creative players on the ball more often too. This obviously is also releasing the pressure on our backline more often aswell.

Still a long way to go though and I expect Brechin will come flying out the blocks on Saturday. But if it is an Alloa - Forfar final then I'd still take the same weariness into the Station Park game next midweek as I did tonight because Forfar seem very capable of scoring goals, especially at home. If we manage to stay in the tie then I'd be pretty confident of finishing the job at home as we've been very good there since Lennon has taken over.

Why was Gibson playing? I thought he'd blown it at Alloa.

He was injured earlier in the season and McDowall took his chance with some decent displays. McDowall's form had started to decline a little recently though and when Lennon was appointed manager, he just watched his first game from the stands at Tynecastle in a 3-0 defeat and I don't think he was too impressed with him so he changed it instantly for the next game, which we ended up winning 3-0 against Dumbarton. The only worry is that Gibson has put on quite a bit of weight since he was injured and lost his place in the team...but so far so good just now. Fingers crossed we manage to scrape over the finishing line this season.

Are Alloa at home for the 2nd leg, if they get through to the final? Might go to it.

Yeah if we get to the final the second leg would be at Alloa. Hopefully we can finish the job against Brechin and stay in contention after the first leg of the final because our home performances under Lennon so far have been excellent.

Cheers for the reply. Hope Gibson manages to tie down the goalkeeping position at Alloa as he was always a decent keeper.

Hasn't impressed me so far, can't comment on yesterdays game as I wasn't there but I never feel confident with him in. Hopefully clean sheets against Dumbarton, cowdenbeath and now brechin has given him confidence

Hasn't impressed me so far, can't comment on yesterdays game as I wasn't there but I never feel confident with him in. Hopefully clean sheets against Dumbarton, cowdenbeath and now brechin has given him confidence

He had very little to do, Alloa's central defence was impressive though Brechin did make it easy for them..

He had very little to do, Alloa's central defence was impressive though Brechin did make it easy for them..

Pretty much the same in all 3 clean sheets then, can only do his confidence good though no matter how he gets them.

Wasnt at the game but it would appear that Benedictus gave another fine performance. Assuming that Dundee release him we must look to get him signed up for next season especially with Marr's continuing injury problems. Have to say I had my doubts earlier in the season but he's been outstanding recently.

On the subject of our keepers I would get rid of both and start afresh for next season. Noticed that Couser has been on the bench for the last few games. Something up with McDowell or just out of favour?

Wasnt at the game but it would appear that Benedictus gave another fine performance. Assuming that Dundee release him we must look to get him signed up for next season especially with Marr's continuing injury problems. Have to say I had my doubts earlier in the season but he's been outstanding recently.

On the subject of our keepers I would get rid of both and start afresh for next season. Noticed that Couser has been on the bench for the last few games. Something up with McDowell or just out of favour?

Been told he is injured but im sure he was warming up with the other two keepers on Saturday. I'd keep one of them as number two but that's all they really are is backups at this level tbh.

Been told he is injured but im sure he was warming up with the other two keepers on Saturday. I'd keep one of them as number two but that's all they really are is backups at this level tbh.

He wasn't out warming up the 2 keepers. It was mikey, Gibson and butters.

He wasn't out warming up the 2 keepers. It was mikey, Gibson and butters.

I was in late as the teams were just going in and thought I seen him heading towards the tunnel. Must have been someone else then.

Crowd was poor for such an important game.

Wait till you see the crowd at the Recs on Saturday. We're ridiculously charging full price (£16) Cant see many more than the regulars turning up in the home end and after last night I wouldnt expect a large travelling support.

Benedictus gave another fine performance. Assuming that Dundee release him we must look to get him signed up for next season especially with Marr's continuing injury problems. Have to say I had my doubts earlier in the season but he's been outstanding recently.

I agree. Kyle has proven to be an excellent loan signing.

Archived