Family Shame

FuzzyAffro

My Mum was the first openly Yes Labour councillor in Scotland, then she left them. My Dad was a big Yes man long before most. Both ken the score.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know this was a big issue during the referendum, but I can only assume that in 20 years or so the death toll in Scotland will have taken a larger chunk of Labour and Tory than any other group proportionately.

As my mate Dario so succinctly put it: "we were one bad winter away from Independence"

My cousin works for Ed Miliband.

How sad as Two Kitchens is even worse than the thick Welsh Windbag who advises him. Kinnockio sold out to Brussels for a huge salary and a cushy European job for his son - now married to the Danish PM and selected for a safe Labour seat. What a bunch of parasitic and hypocritical scumbags.!

Quite surprised by the number of young people voting Tory. On my facebook feed it's all Green/Labour with bits of the SNP mixed in but when I asked some mates when we studied together over the last few days a lot of them are voting Tory. Mind you I'm at Edinburgh uni and a load of my mates were private schooled so maybe it's not all that surprising.

Young folk nowadays (at least the ones who are interested in politics) seem to fall into two distinct camps - either they're ultra-radical anti-establishment smash-the-system types (usually with a huge dollop of bleeding heart authoritarian social-justice-policing thrown in, and they always end up voting Labour) or they're baby-faced rightist-libertarian Pinochet-admirers of the most extreme stripe.

The ones on the right sometimes seem even more like self-parodies than the ones on the left. It's like they've decided to do a life-long impression of Katie Hopkins (that'll probably end abruptly when they hit their mid-twenties).

Not saying your mates are like that Mr. Bairn - the extremes are probably just more visible to me - but there's a lot of them about.

The website Torysay, which collected the wit and wisdom of Young Conservatives from social media, was a blast back in it's heyday. Chock full of uni-age Sebastians and Oberons and Petronellas stoating about in starched evening wear.

My mum once went to one of Willie Rennie's surgeries and told him "I've voted Conservative in the past but thanks to you I'll now vote Labour". Part of me definitely died when she told me what she'd done, on various levels. Kind of wish I was there to see Rennie's face before he got her telt though.

That said, I suppose if she was a Labour voter then I would also be a Labour voter because, erm, that's just the way it works, isn't it?

Eta: The other half's dad is planning on voting UKIP in protest because "it'll give the government the shake up it'll need". Aye, cause that'll be a useful vote in Moray.

My Mum has said twice 'that UKIP guy talks a lot of sense'

My Dad is a quiet RedRob

One sister will almost certainly vote Tory as she's pig-headed and rich

which ukip guy? farage or surely not Coburn? :o

my 86 year old dad is a lifelong tory and no voter, I never talk to the rest of the family about politics as if they were on the dark side I may never forgive them. tho my old tory auntie told me she was voting yes last year as her 14 year old grand son had persuaded her, so she can live for ever :wub:

my 86 year old dad is a lifelong tory and no voter, I never talk to the rest of the family about politics as if they were on the dark side I may never forgive them. tho my old tory auntie told me she was voting yes last year as her 14 year old grand son had persuaded her, so she can live for ever :wub:

Don't tell Oaksoft about that, he might literally puke at the thought.

My Mother is sadly a firm No voter and was going to vote for unionist candidate that was most likely to give SNP a run in her constituency. However she fucked her postal vote application and missed the deadline so cannot vote.

My mum and dad vote SNP. No shame there.

My younger brother lives in California, but is a big SNP supporter, SNP member and donates.

My youngest brother lives in Aberdeenshire, works in the oil industry, voted No in the referendum and will undoubtedly be backing some form of unionist party. Not so much shame, as disappointment.

Aye Farage, she's no that stupid. Close like.

My Mother is sadly a firm No voter...

I visited my step-grandparents last weekend and within a minute of conversation, I discovered that they think independence is stupid and that the "Darwin theory where we all came out of the water" is a load of nonsense too.

How I miss the joyful days of hide and seek. :(

My dad voted labour all his working life but switched to SNP around 2005 after he retired. Still voted No, mind.

I've never heard my mum talking about voting for anyone, or almost any party politics at all, for all I know she could be a BNP voter. She told me she voted Yes but I suspect that may have been to shut me up after me going on at her for ages and could well be a lie.

Most of my cousins that I have on Facebook voted Yes and a couple have linked to pro SNP stuff. There's one who was the opposite but he lives in England so IDGAF what he does tomorrow.

Folk that pretend they voted yes are the worst. I work with a couple, one late 50's, baby boomer, decent house paid off etc. Just an I'm alright jack ignorant knobend. Likes to join in with the chat and pretend he's one of the good guys but he's as staunch a no as you could find.

Archived