Mhairi Black appreciation thread

Mr Bairn

Also the failure to make one picture stating her most famous phrase "I fucking hate celtic " is dissapointing , even I would have greenied that one

...its only a matter of time I reckon ;)

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Come on Smurph. Just realised that those don't have Mhairi Black MP on them. Shame on you sir.

Jim Murphy, Margaret Curran, Dougie Alexander, Esther McVey, Danny Alexander, Vince Cable, Nigel Farage

You have just lumped her Paisleyness in with those losers

FROM STEPHEN DAISLEY STV:

Amid the 56 SNP MPs descending on Westminster this week, one is standing out from the crowd.

Mhairi Black sent shockwaves through the political establishment last Thursday when she ousted shadow foreign secretary Douglas Alexander.

In doing so, she turned a 17,000 Labour majority into a 6000 edge for the Nationalists in Paisley and Renfrewshire South.

That she is only 20, Britain's youngest MP, and has still to finish her university exams (politics and public policy, natch) are just some of the reasons she is garnering attention from national and international media.

Black is also a formidable public speaker, her gift for wowing a crowd coming to prominence during the independence referendum in which she was a leading Yes campaign activist.

She and her colleagues are finding their feet and their offices this week but I managed to catch five minutes with her in the domed hive of political activity that is the courtyard of Portcullis House.

It is reassuring to find her just as grounded as she was when we first met on the campaign trail last month.

Back then, when I queried the sometimes rapturous response she received on the streets of her native Paisley, she was quick to put it in perspective, telling me: "This isn't about me, it's about the arguments. People are finally getting a party that is trying to put people at the heart of what it's doing."

She shows no signs of letting the grandeur and historical import of Parliament get to her head.

She says: “The best piece of advice I've had is to remember it’s just a workplace. It’s just a fancy office. I’m walking about that place and it’s so historical and so beautiful inside. You do get taken in and get swept up in this phenomenal building. But remember you’re not there to enjoy a museum. You’re there to work.

“I keep reminding myself: The only reason you’re here is because people have put their trust in you."

Black is acutely conscious that she is here for a purpose, beyond herself and her party.

She points out: “We’ve seen a higher voter turnout than in any general election in recent years. We’ve seen an incredible swing towards the SNP that a year ago I would have said was impossible. People have put their faith in us and it’s the people that are suffering.

"Everything we said in the campaign is still happening and despite the fact that I’m here in London sitting in a lovely building doesn’t change the fact that there’s still folk sitting up in schemes in Paisley who can’t afford to eat. It’s reminding yourself" Why am I here?”

She hopes her constituents will come to see that she's "not just in it to live down in this London bubble", adding: "I said it during the campaign and it still stands now: The problem with MPs is that they would disappear to London and reappear five years later when it was time for re-election. I campaigned on the fact that I don’t want to be that and now I have this opportunity I full intend to carry that through.”

Resisting the Conservative government's austerity policies is the priority for Black and she sees it necessary to break through the chummy political consensus at Westminster.

She tells me: “What we said throughout the campaign was that the reason we’re against austerity is not just because it doesn’t work but because it’s wrong. It’s not right in any sense, morally, economically, socially. It’s just plain wrong.

"Especially now that I’ve seen that Parliament and the way some MPs are so cosy and best pals. When we would describe it as a boys’ club, we were right because there’s elements in that building where they are just a boys’ club and you can see that with this big bulk of Conservative MPs.

"So I can understand how they do live in a bubble and they don’t see the folk in the schemes in Paisley, they don’t see the effects of their policies. We campaigned that Scotland would have a louder voice and now we need to be a channel for that voice to tell them: By the way, this stuff’s harming people. It’s got to stop.”

Although the hard work begins in earnest, she has taken the opportunity to have a look around the Commons chamber, where she will sit for the next five years.

“It’s smaller than it looks on the telly," she offers, "and the seats are quite uncomfy."

I wonder what her mum and dad make of their daughter becoming a Member of Parliament. Black's family were once rock-solid Labour but drifted to the SNP over a number of years.

“They’re just buzzing," she admits. "I genuinely mean this when I say it: They’re more excited about the fact that there’s 56 of us going down. Because they’ve really been waiting for change, they’re really excited that Scotland has a presence in that Parliament now. That their wean’s part of that is just an added bonus."

"My mum keeps getting on at me to eat properly, so we won’t tell her about this,” she adds, guiltily rustling around in a bag of crisps.

And what of her own political ambitions?

“Genuinely, my only priority is to make sure that in five years’ time I can campaign for re-election and say: This place is better than I found it. If I can do that, then that’s a good start.”

The unpredicted Conservative majority leaves the SNP's influence in the Commons much diminished on what had been expected. Tory feet have nothing to fear from a Nationalist fire -- yet.

But Black insists the party won't be sidelined.

“With 56 of us, we’ll be quite hard to ignore," she grins. "We can be quite loud.”

Interview by Stephen Daisley, STV’s digital political correspondent. You can contact him at stephen.daisley@stv.tv.

The words of a 20 year old with no life experience. Chip munching schemie from Paisley, who has a voice that would rip a hole in the Arran ferry.

So enough of the detractors opinion

She will do just fine. I know what I want my MP to do. And Mhairi Black, if true to her word, will be standing up and shouting for her constituents. I just hope all 56 are the same, but I do have my doubts with the odd one or two.

I truly hope she has a long and successful career in WM and then the independent Scottish Parliament, whenever that arrives

The words of a 20 year old with no life experience. Chip munching schemie from Paisley, who has a voice that would rip a hole in the Arran ferry.

:lol:

Dundee Barry seems to have found himself a new gig

http://bbc.scotlandshire.co.uk/index.php/city-news/936-shades-of-black-mhairis-first-days-at-westminster.html

The Mhairi Black Diaries - A Satirical look at life in Westminster

The best laugh wis Kirsten Oswald who goat Murphy's auld midden. Poor lassie didnae know whit tae dae wi aw the empty ginger boatles. Lucky fur hur, Creepy came doon tae Lundin tae take them aw back fur the deposits.

Dundee Barry seems to have found himself a new gig

http://bbc.scotlandshire.co.uk/index.php/city-news/936-shades-of-black-mhairis-first-days-at-westminster.html

The Mhairi Black Diaries - A Satirical look at life in Westminster

I've nae idea if it's for real but

Ah've only gone an been allocated Eric Joyce's auld office.

I think somebody doon here's takin the pish.

Poor Philipa goat Mag Curran's auld cowp but it will be aw right efter a guid airin.

The best laugh wis Kirsten Oswald who goat Murphy's auld midden.

Poor lassie didnae know whit tae dae wi aw the empty ginger boatles.

Lucky fur hur, Creepy came doon tae Lundin tae take them aw back fur the deposits. :lol: :lol: :thumsup2

On the off chance she reads this thread:

Mhairi: me and my mate Mark, another Yes voter, live in London and yer welcome to join us for a pint after work. We know of three really good pubs and a lot of shite ones and I know at least four off licences that sell Buckfast: two of them 24 hours a day. Tennet's, however, is a bit of a b*****d to find. My missus thinks yer amazin' as well (and she's Romanian for f**k's sake) so you can natter away with her if yer worried it'll be a bit of a sausage fest or anything like that. We've even got a pub down here that puts on the BBC Alba games for us..

PS

Bring Ronnie Cowan wi' ye tho'. I want tae hear stories about his da'

On the off chance she reads this thread:

Mhairi: me and my mate Mark, another Yes voter, live in London and yer welcome to join us for a pint after work. We know of three really good pubs and a lot of shite ones and I know at least four off licences that sell Buckfast: two of them 24 hours a day. Tennet's, however, is a bit of a b*****d to find. My missus thinks yer amazin' as well (and she's Romanian for f**k's sake) so you can natter away with her if yer worried it'll be a bit of a sausage fest or anything like that. We've even got a pub down here that puts on the BBC Alba games for us..

PS

Bring Ronnie Cowan wi' ye tho'. I want tae hear stories about his da'

That's nice.

If she dis reply tell her Wee Willie is askin' for her. :thumsup2

I've seen more people moaning about people criticising the tweets than actually criticising the tweets :lol:

The independent article with the tweets and everything else I've seen that's mentioned them was very light hearted. The independent headline was something like "Mhairi's NSFW tweets are our new favourite thing"

Obviously she shouldn't be criticised for them, and she isn't being.

I've seen more people moaning about people criticising the tweets than actually criticising the tweets :lol:

The independent article with the tweets and everything else I've seen that's mentioned them was very light hearted. The independent headline was something like "Mhairi's NSFW tweets are our new favourite thing"

Obviously she shouldn't be criticised for them, and she isn't being.

You obviously didn't read the comments section. Also the daily express ran a totally different spin on it

You obviously didn't read the comments section. Also the daily express ran a totally different spin on it

Well the Daily Express nailed their colours to the mast of UKIP before the election & have nailed their bollocks to the wall as a result of the result no one could have predicted.

Archived