Next UK Labour Leader

FlyerTon

Next UK Labour Leader  

243 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Within the context of Labour, even those MPs who previously would have been considered towards the moderate left of the party on economic policy, like Yvette Cooper, are opposed to it.

My worry isn't that Jeremy Corbyn is taking time to develop policies, but that there might be no policies forthcoming. In the event of Corbyn proposing some more 'radical' policies, it will be difficult to get the Shadow Cabinet and PLP onside. Labour under Ed Miliband had too little to say to people, and lessons have to be learned from that regardless of who the leader is.

Corbyn quite clearly is trying to bypass the PLP with an appeal to the membership, who gave him a huge mandate to develop a platform to the left of Blair and Brown's pro-business contuinuity Thatcherism.

Hence it is going to be messy for Labour for a while, and I don't think Corbyn's strategy wil succeed. Trying to recreate the Labour party of the late 1970s with a mixture of wishful thinking and deselection chicanery won't work simply because he doesn't have the time for it to work.

A smart Corbyn would be trying to do the heavy lifting for eighteen months-two years, alter the internal dynamic of Labour, and then let someone else take the reins before 2020. Much as he seems a thoughful and polite guy with his heart in the right place, quite clearly he is not a leader, and totally unelectable.

I don't think anyone either within or outwith the Labour party saw it becoming quite such a shambles so quickly. And any fix is not easy at all.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Miliband saying he wouldn't work with the SNP appeared to be a huge turn off for folk.

'Yes you can democratically elect who you want but don't expect me to respect the result'. Ignorant, unaware, badly advised tosser.

Including in England. It's the good old Labour mistake of not realising the golden rule of politics - Tory voters will vote Tory. They also fail to realise that in England, people don't vote Labour to stop the SNP or to stop Scottish independence, or because the Tories don't stand a chance (which they don't in Scotland).

Another internal Labour faction has been launched, calling themselves 'Open Labour'. From what I can decipher from this article, they are essentially attempting to provide an organisational base for the soft-left: http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/dec/09/labour-activists-launch-new-group-on-partys-left?CMP=twt_gu

Mmmm.. This will end well !

The Labour Party and the PLP is beginning to look like a scene out of 'The Life Of Brian'.

I think the move to a Corbynite left is their only chance of redemption but there are too many disparate factions.

Mandatory deselection* is their only hope.

*Sorry, reselection

• 2 weeks later...

Someone on Twitter has compiled a list of the performance of Labour in council by-elections since Corbyn became leader.

I won't type out constituencies for every region of England

London + 3.3%

North - 12.9% (NOTE SINGLE CONSTITUENCY)

North West -5.5%

South East -2.6%

Wales +0.1%

West Midlands -10.6%

Eastern -4.1%

East Midlands -5.6%

I've included the constituencies in Scotland.

Scotland -8.8%

Ayr E -7.3%

Blantyre -7%

Dunfermline -18.7%

George Street/Harbour -5.4%

Glenroethes West and Kinglassie -9.3%

Irvine Valley -6.3%

Linlithgow +2.6%

Midstocket/Rosemount -11.2%

Rosyth -13.2%

Sitrling -11.9%

Not sure if you are really interested in Linlithgow labour increase but it is because of this:

The regular election contains a very popular tory candidate who is also west lothian provost. However in the by-election the tory candidate wasn't very popular locally so it appears a fair chunk of the provosts unionist supporters went to labour rather than tory for the by-election. I expect the labour vote will drop again for 2017.

• 2 weeks later...

It will be interesting to note whether or not Jeremy Corbyn chooses to sack Michael Dugher. He is essentially briefing against and opposing Corbyn at every turn, and not making much of an effort to hide it. He is a close ally of Tom Watson, however, which makes him difficult to move without some strife.

Wanting to get his top table on defence/foreign affairs to be in agreement with him. Obviously they're the highest profile issues usually so makes sense that he'd want a united front there but I'd imagine it'll just make him more unpopular amongst THE PLP

Archived