Next UK Labour Leader

FlyerTon

Next UK Labour Leader  

243 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Wow.

Just wow. It was not a joke. Alienated people who wave England flags during the world cup. Have someone who knows little about defence as point on defence, have someone with serious patriotism questions on point in defence and sack someone for allegedly saying terrorists are responsible for terrorism.

This is disastrous to the point of being like it was written by Armando Iannucci.

Its like Goldsmiths Student Union is running the Labour party.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Many years ago,when I was active in the Labour Party, the worst insult you could make or receive was being naive. No one wanted to be thought of as naive.

Sadly Corbyn is naive; and I don't mean it as an insult. He genuinely thinks he can create some sort of consensual approach that takes in the different views within the PLP. His approach reminds me of the film line (The Untouchables?) of bringing a knife to a gunfight.

There's people within the PLP that would stamp on Corbyn's head (figuratively and, possibly, literally) if they could get away with it. They don't want consensual, internal politics - they want Corbyn and his ilk destroyed.

Corbyn has a problem with the right within the PLP because they stand in the way of his vision. They have a problem with him because he stands in the way of their careers.

Nail / head interfacing...

Wow.

Just wow. It was not a joke. Alienated people who wave England flags during the world cup. Have someone who knows little about defence as point on defence, have someone with serious patriotism questions on point in defence and sack someone for allegedly saying terrorists are responsible for terrorism.

This is disastrous to the point of being like it was written by Armando Iannucci.

Its like Goldsmiths Student Union is running the Labour party.

Two points here:

1) It's more or less a given that Defence secretaries know nothing about defence, it's the only way to rationalise 40 years of defence policy. A broader point is that these guys are almost always lawyers or Oxbridge poltiics graduates, the health secretary is not a doctor, the energy secretary does not have a wealth of engineering industry experience, the chancellor is not an economist.... and on, and on and on.

2) The Labour party, famously, is not a fan of Scottish nationalism - why would they then be a fan of any expression of English identity over British? How does that qualify as a patriotism issue? Surely her patriotism is directed at the Union flag - not St Andrews or St Georges'

Three labour front bench resignations today, PMQ was a shambles for Corbyn and they look like they are a party in full civil war.

I've never seen a party collapse like this before, it's car crash stuff yet totally enthralling at the same time.

Jonathon Reynolds, Stephen Doughty and Kevan Jones. I take a reasonable interest in politics and have never heard of any of these three. The level of absolute no marks in the shadow cabinet is frightening.

I haven't a clue who they are either.

The level of seethe on twitter is off the scale just now. How difficult is it to deselect a sitting MP? Anyone know?

Mandatory reselection was something the Labour party introduced about 30 years ago after a long fought campaign by the left. Unless the rules have changed it shouldn't be too difficult.

However I'm not sure if its an electoral college comprising component parts or just a straightforward vote by the CLP management comittee. If it's the latter then the influence of the party establishment will be greatly diminished.

Jonathon Reynolds, Stephen Doughty and Kevan Jones. I take a reasonable interest in politics and have never heard of any of these three. The level of absolute no marks in the shadow cabinet is frightening.

I don't, so it's unsurprising I've never heard of them.

However, I've just googled the labour front bench team (don't worry, they can't touch you for it), and I recognise very few - Hilary Benn, Diane Abbott, Andy Burnham, Charlie Falconer, Chris Bryant & John McDonnell (and I'd never heard of him until he was appointed) - that's about it.

Heidi Alexander rings a bell, but I may be getting her confused with someone else.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjiif62qZXKAhVKhhoKHUn8CykQFgggMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.labour.org.uk%2Fpages%2Flabour-frontbench&usg=AFQjCNG1Qt9fag91kRCzjkwKp40W9OX8Ig&sig2=tWenBelPVw1BuLACD0NnJQ

There are a decent number of better known MPs who aren't on the front bench.

Whole thing has been a disaster. Why did it take him so long to do this? He clearly wanted to punish people who voted against him in the 'free vote' or people who haven't silently followed what the Glorious Leader has done and said but then realised he couldn't get rid of who he wanted to without rebellion by moderate members he wanted to keep. It all sounds like he's spent two days trying to work out who he can get rid of that is big enough to send a message, but not so big as to cause anything resembling a rebellion.

There are a decent number of better known MPs who aren't on the front bench.

Whole thing has been a disaster. Why did it take him so long to do this? He clearly wanted to punish people who voted against him in the 'free vote' or people who haven't silently followed what the Glorious Leader has done and said but then realised he couldn't get rid of who he wanted to without rebellion by moderate members he wanted to keep. It all sounds like he's spent two days trying to work out who he can get rid of that is big enough to send a message, but not so big as to cause anything resembling a rebellion.

It's curtains buddy

Archived