Holyrood '16 polls and predictions

Crùbag

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Calais?, what are they doing there?, did they not realise there were plenty of countries between where they came from and Calais that are perfectly safe?

Agree with this,they will have came through plenty of countries but the aim is to get to the uk for obvious reasons.

Calais?, what are they doing there?, did they not realise there were plenty of countries between where they came from and Calais that are perfectly safe?

Clearly because they were told we have an open door policy, family connections, an affinity with the English language, and a great admiration for our reputation for fairness and respect for those seeking to better themselves through hard work.

Clearly because they were told we have an open door policy, family connections, an affinity with the English language, and a great admiration for our reputation for fairness and admiration for those seeking to better themselves through hard work.

Haha aye, I'm sure that's what it is.

You haven't explained why they're still there when we have an open door policy.

Its not the biggest of doors but hey, Net migration of 336000 last year, a fair few must have got through and that is only the ones we know about.

I'm sure if they wait a wee while longer, they will all be welcomed to our wee island with open arms.

It was all going so well until the insult at the end.

Tell you what, its tiring speaking to people who only see and hear what they want.

But here goes one last time.

As I have said previous times, I believe in controlled immigration as opposed to the open door policy we currently operate.

Controlled immigration allows country, populace & migrants to asorb easily into society.

This is not racist nor is it bigoted.

Multiculturalism pretty much means that the existing culture of that country is either lost or changes significantly, this is not what I want for Scotland.

The great thing about travelling, meeting and seeing other countries, people and places is the fact you get to experience different cultures and way of life.

If the human race becomes one big giant global multicultural megaculture there is a good chance many of these will dissapear and be forgotten.

Again, that is only my view, I struggle to see anything racist or bigoted about it.

Racism to me is discriminating against someone be it colour of skin, ethinicty, nationality or faith.

I have not nor would I ever dream of doing something like that just I as would never discriminate based on someones gender or sexuality.

Points you don't want to accept...

immigration is tightly controlled - even for 'white' Aussies and Yanks w/ family connections and job skills.

'Existing culture - WTF is that? Do you mean the multi-culturalism we've had for millennia? Who is threatening it?

Megaculture - they come and go. Look how Latin covered half the globe before either dying in the conquered territories or morphing into several distinct languages. English is going the same way which is why Jamaican English can be unintelligible to someone who speaks only RP or even Glaswegian English. This is the natural way.

Scotland has always been multicultural, ever since the Celts displaced or merged with the pre-Indo-European inhabitants, themselves having come here from Africa, if my science serves me right. The only 'pure' and original Europeans left are the Basques. The Basques are very protective of their ancient tongue and culture but also welcoming of others. In Basque schools, kids learn Basque, Spanish and English with a 4th to follow in secondary - this could be Polish, Arabic or French. Modern Basque music features a lot of ska and Afro-influences - apparently the linguistics fit the rhythms, or so im told.

In Scotland, weve had settlers in larger or greater numbers from the Romans and their African slaves (here before the English/ AngloSaxons ironically), different Celtic tribes, Norse, Germanic until recent centuries w' Italian, Jewish, Polish (circa WWII) and others. The world didn't cave in and we weren't taken over. We didnt all turn Catholic again after thousands of Irish and Polish made their homes here and we didn't adopt Judaism as a faith either.

Language, like culture, is fluid. So, where will you draw the line?

Should we go back to indigenous Ogham script? The one us Gaels used before adopting the Roman alphabet which our old churches then passed onto the English who were a bit slow in finding literacy? Should we stop using the Arabic numerals and stop teaching Algebra to the kids as they are foreign and 'bad' Islamic concepts?

How about in my parents' day when Scots didnt celebrate the pagan/ Roman festival of Xmas? A friend of mine with maternal Irish grandparents who settled in a typically Proddie small town in central Scotland were the only ones to have a Xmas tree back in the 40s and 50s. Prods didn't work the Sabbath. Now, all good Rangers' fans, sorry, Prods, celebrate Catholic festivals with an array of pagan and Jewish regalia and break the Proddie Sabbath at will.

Then again, I dont give a flying fck. I don't care that my neighbour's half-English son has a 'brown' kid with his African partner. How will that threaten me in the slightest?

I dont know how old you are but if you're older than 20-ish, then you should fkn know better.

End of debate, loser.

Makes the 'both votes SNP' thing look a bit pointless in Glasgow, which was always my suspicion.

Will lend my second vote to the Greens or RISE if it means booting a Tory into touch.

suspect a Green vote might actually count toward someone being elected, pretty clear at this stage that a RISE vote won't.

Points you don't want to accept...

immigration is tightly controlled - even for 'white' Aussies and Yanks w/ family connections and job skills.

'Existing culture - WTF is that? Do you mean the multi-culturalism we've had for millennia? Who is threatening it?

Megaculture - they come and go. Look how Latin covered half the globe before either dying in the conquered territories or morphing into several distinct languages. English is going the same way which is why Jamaican English can be unintelligible to someone who speaks only RP or even Glaswegian English. This is the natural way.

Scotland has always been multicultural, ever since the Celts displaced or merged with the pre-Indo-European inhabitants, themselves having come here from Africa, if my science serves me right. The only 'pure' and original Europeans left are the Basques. The Basques are very protective of their ancient tongue and culture but also welcoming of others. In Basque schools, kids learn Basque, Spanish and English with a 4th to follow in secondary - this could be Polish, Arabic or French. Modern Basque music features a lot of ska and Afro-influences - apparently the linguistics fit the rhythms, or so im told.

In Scotland, weve had settlers in larger or greater numbers from the Romans and their African slaves (here before the English/ AngloSaxons ironically), different Celtic tribes, Norse, Germanic until recent centuries w' Italian, Jewish, Polish (circa WWII) and others. The world didn't cave in and we weren't taken over. We didnt all turn Catholic again after thousands of Irish and Polish made their homes here and we didn't adopt Judaism as a faith either.

Language, like culture, is fluid. So, where will you draw the line?

Should we go back to indigenous Ogham script? The one us Gaels used before adopting the Roman alphabet which our old churches then passed onto the English who were a bit slow in finding literacy? Should we stop using the Arabic numerals and stop teaching Algebra to the kids as they are foreign and 'bad' Islamic concepts?

How about in my parents' day when Scots didnt celebrate the pagan/ Roman festival of Xmas? A friend of mine with maternal Irish grandparents who settled in a typically Proddie small town in central Scotland were the only ones to have a Xmas tree back in the 40s and 50s. Prods didn't work the Sabbath. Now, all good Rangers' fans, sorry, Prods, celebrate Catholic festivals with an array of pagan and Jewish regalia and break the Proddie Sabbath at will.

Then again, I dont give a flying fck. I don't care that my neighbour's half-English son has a 'brown' kid with his African partner. How will that threaten me in the slightest?

I dont know how old you are but if you're older than 20-ish, then you should fkn know better.

End of debate, loser.

End of debate, loser?, and your querying what age I am.

That has to be one of the biggest loads of shit I have ever had the misfortune to read.

If immigration is so tightly controlled as you say, Why are there non-British gypsies begging on the streets?

How are people who do not have a job lined up allowed

In the country?,

Why is it easier for someone fleeing a war zone half way round the world to get into the UK than it is for English speaking Yanks and Aussies with discernible skills?

Back on topic, good to see healthy pro-Indy majority.

Sad to see two Ukippers scrape in on the list - thanks to Glasgow and Falkirk/ Airdrie.

LibDems down to 4 with Greens in 4th place. And Labour... :lol:

Cb-45kbWwAAkroi.png

suspect a Green vote might actually count toward someone being elected, pretty clear at this stage that a RISE vote won't.

Greens well worth it in certain areas - Edin, Lothian and Highlands or so it seems.

RISE are a waste of space at the moment, however much I sympathise with their general aims. They don't even have key policies yet - like education - 'We'll finalise that in the next weeks...'. The fkc election is in the next few weeks! They should leave it until after Indy.

Haha thought so. Love it!

Hope I have got this right. You want to use the existing visa system to regulate immigration. The one that is already working an open door policy in your opinion. This is the same visa system that will suddenly reverse this open door policy when it will be working harder when it has to deal with EU Migrants as well. Simple analogy I know but that makes no sense.

I ask again.

Why are they travelling halfway around the world often risking themselves, their kids and their families lives to come to a small island at the edge of Europe?

because its a rich country..

Sad to see two Ukippers scrape in on the list - thanks to Glasgow and Falkirk/ Airdrie.

Cb-45kbWwAAkroi.png

Cb-45kbWwAAkroi.png

if UKIP win 2 .. then yay ;p

Btw, immigration is reserved to WM. What's it got to do w/ Holyrood polls?

will leave this here anyway....

o-EU-MIGRANTS-570.jpg?6

so we have 2.2 split across Europe , i wonder how many of those are low paid workers.. meanwhile we had much more then 2.2 million come here on one small island

Archived