Holyrood '16 polls and predictions

Crùbag

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've never been sure why slab think Baillie is their star player when it comes to rent-a-gobs.

I've encountered many people in my life who lack self awareness. Scottish Labour suffers from the same problem.

For example do their Holyrood members genuinely believe that Dugdale is anything but woeful at FMQ's? I'm assuming they don't given that she never improves.

I've encountered many people in my life who lack self awareness. Scottish Labour suffers from the same problem.

For example do their Holyrood members genuinely believe that Dugdale is anything but woeful at FMQ's? I'm assuming they don't given that she never improves.

It's strange - some many slabberers accuse independence supporters of blind loyalty, and yet they seem absolutely blind themselves to the utter ineptitude of the people who represent them. I can only surmise that the "blind loyalty" accusations are cases of projection from the most tribal voters Scotland has to offer.

How any intelligent people can continue to give the likes of Dugdale and Baillie their full support is beyond me. No thinking person can genuinely believe these people are good (or even competent), principled politicians. They're coasting puppets. The irony is that slabberers who continue to offer them loyalty are supporting the exact type of people that have brought their party to such a sorry pass.

It's strange - some many slabberers accuse independence supporters of blind loyalty, and yet they seem absolutely blind themselves to the utter ineptitude of the people who represent them. I can only surmise that the "blind loyalty" accusations are cases of projection from the most tribal voters Scotland has to offer.

How any intelligent people can continue to give the likes of Dugdale and Baillie their full support is beyond me. No thinking person can genuinely believe these people are good (or even competent), principled politicians. They're coasting puppets. The irony is that slabberers who continue to offer them loyalty are supporting the exact type of people that have brought their party to such a sorry pass.

In fairness people will vote for a political party that they THINK represents their values/point of view regardless of those in charge.

Labour benefitted from blind loyalty for decades, though it could be argued that at least for part of that time the support was genuine based upon a desire for an alternative to Tory values. Personalities aside, at the last election if Labour had adopted an anti-austerity agenda they may have not lost so heavily in Scotland; I'm not even sure if they would have suffered much worse elsewhere.

SLab's problem (one of many) is who they are presently appealing to. Who will be their candidates over the next 5, 10 or 15 years? For the most part they will be political chancers and apparatchiks; they would probably sell their souls for one Mhari Black type candidate. Though such a person is unlikely to be attracted to SLab, and vice versa.

A fair point regarding people thinking a party represents their values and views. Part of the problem slab have is that it's an accounting unit (as stated by Dugdale herself). It might try and market itself as having distinct policies, but its status is well known to voters.

Now take UK-issues like the much-ballyhooed Trident. The truth is that neither slab nor the SNP are in a constitutional position to prevent it (even if every voter in Scotland wanted its renewal halted). But the major difference is that the SNP actively want to be in a position to do so and slab don't. Thus their pretence of having *different* policies to the party to which they belong rings hollow: a cheap stunt. Similarly, Dugdale and Baillie claim to be anti-austerity and to do things differently from the UK. So do the SNP. But slab simultaneously want Scotland to remain a wee bit of the UK (and just have Scots pay more than everyone else to make up for that). Once again, their policy rhetoric is at complete odds with their constitutional rhetoric.

They have quite spectacularly managed to f**k up everything, from their stance on Scotland's constitutional position and its relationship to their claimed policy preferences, to their leaders, candidates and bedfellows.

Pleasing.

:lol:

The "you're saying you don't care how its spent" line is maybe a bit harsh but the general gist is spot on. Scottish Labour aren't even trying to produce any  serious policies these days. Luckily most of the Scottish population aren't thick enough for their bluffing, whingey shite.

SNP to spell out their tax proposals. Should stop Murdo moaning for a couple of secs. And SLAB to outline their Council tax plans. Given they didn't like the SNP,s meagre offering I assume theirs will be a bit more radical ?

I wonder if they will go for a scrap, and go down another route, Land tax or a rejigged local income tax. Or even a return to some form of rates. I think they will look at a revaluation.

SNP to spell out their tax proposals. Should stop Murdo moaning for a couple of secs. And SLAB to outline their Council tax plans. Given they didn't like the SNP,s meagre offering I assume theirs will be a bit more radical ?

I wonder if they will go for a scrap, and go down another route, Land tax or a rejigged local income tax. Or even a return to some form of rates. I think they will look at a revaluation.

To be fair, the SNP have left their left flank open on this, it shouldn't be hard at all for Labour to look more radical (though if they are raising income tax on everyone, they might just cut the lower CT rates to compensate?).

Will be interesting to see what the SNP do with the income tax (is that today?), I think they do need to try something a wee bit bolder than the obvious, symbolic, raising the upper threshold to 50p.....

Just hope we don't end up with another SNP whitewash like the election last year provided. What's the point of a parliament with no opposition?

Can honestly see there being 1 Labour, 1 Tory and maybe 1 Lib with the rest being the other lot

Fingers crossed :thumsup2

Just hope we don't end up with another SNP whitewash like the election last year provided. What's the point of a parliament with no opposition?

Can honestly see there being 1 Labour, 1 Tory and maybe 1 Lib with the rest being the other lot

There is opposition - it's just crap at doing its job. The scenario you envisage is not going to happen under PR. But how was the election last year a whitewash? The SNP won most seats in Scotland but we got a Tory government. That must be one of the union dividends - by being incorporated into another state, we can't become a whitewashed one party state because we'll always be outvoted. Makes you feel all #bettertogether

There is opposition - it's just crap at doing its job. The scenario you envisage is not going to happen under PR. But how was the election last year a whitewash? The SNP won most seats in Scotland but we got a Tory government. That must be one of the union dividends - by being incorporated into another state, we can't become a whitewashed one party state because we'll always be outvoted. Makes you feel all #bettertogether

Whitewash in the sense that the only people representing Scotland there are SNP

Whitewash in the sense that the only people representing Scotland there are SNP

That's not true, actually - a cabinet member is a Tory who represents Scotland (badly). But of course I'm amused that a party having a majority of Scottish seats is suddenly a bad thing. Because apparently it wasn't when it was a regionalist party dedicated to keeping Scotland a minor region of the UK state. When Labour were riding high in Scotland and England, I don't remember accusations of "whitewash", "one party state" or "bad for democracy".

That's not true, actually - a cabinet member is a Tory who represents Scotland (badly). But of course I'm amused that a party having a majority of Scottish seats is suddenly a bad thing. Because apparently it wasn't when it was a regionalist party dedicated to keeping Scotland a minor region of the UK state. When Labour were riding high in Scotland and England, I don't remember accusations of "whitewash", "one party state" or "bad for democracy".

Never before had there been so many people from one party elected to represent Scotland at Westminster, until May 2015

I can remember those days.

I can also remember when the Tories ruled the UK but only had a handful of MP's in Scotland.

They used tae fill the Scottish Question Time (what was it called?) with English MP's who turned up, never spoke but voted on Scottish matters.

Never before had there been so many people from one party elected to represent Scotland at Westminster, until May 2015

Labour won 56 seats in 1997. You must have been absolutely outraged. Or maybe not, because they're a regionalist party who oppose Scotland's statehood.

Archived