Montrose vs Brora (Pyramid Play-off 2nd leg)

Rather enjoyed that today, a story of two captains changing the game for better / worse (depends which side you support). Cracking weather other than the aforementioned wind which ruined it a bit, but hey, it was never going to be a silky gentlemanly match given the occasion. 20 mins in and I was thinking "there's going to be a red card here" given the ref's love affair with his yellow card. I wasn't wrong.

Montrose looked the better side throughout although with 11 v 11 they were struggling to make it count, until a blatant shove / foul on the defender in front of the lino helped set up a nice pass to smash in for the first.

Brora came out looking slightly better in the second half, quickly nodding home a tidy header (only decent chance they made from memory) but the red card almost immediately after brought everything down around them. Full defence mode obviously set in and worked fairly well with some cracking defensive blocks until Andrews stood head and shoulders above the rest, very fitting after his OG had made the difference in the first leg. Quite enjoyed the Brora midget #11 challenging Andrews in the air during the match I must add.

Confidence evidently dropped and the quick fire third goal with a cracking shot into the far top right corner from outside the box, was well worth winning any tie. Now ensures that there'll be at least one Angus Derby next season rather than four sides in four different leagues.

Hornblower chipper on way home to complete a good day out. Congratulations Mo of course, the better side won.

Eta: Have to say that the reaction I saw from most Brora fans after the game implied that they didn't really care if they won or lost. Maybe the realisation than the distance travelled this morning would be standard stuff in League 2? Great turn out and support I need to add. Glad I wasn't in the seat beside the piper though.

Interesting that- the buggers celebrated when they beat City on penalties...

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really enjoyable occasion today.

The 2,132 attendance compares favourably with other play-off attendances, doubtless boosted by soccer tourists, but also many vocal and colourful supporters from both clubs.

It was the right result. Montrose played some nice football, and given how Brora have walked the HL with some cricket scores, it belied the home side’s position as the clear 42nd best of the SPFL. Not sure if the equaliser was an indicator of their set piece achilles heel, or if the home players just respond to bigger crowds (e.g. 3-0 win vs Arbroath).

The sending-off was a turning point, but Montrose had still looked the much better side at 11 vs 11.

I wouldn’t criticise the celebrations or the pitch invasion. Clearly there’s been chronic underachievement to be in that position, but with 20 minutes to go today, a history of league football in the town was in danger of being wiped out for potentially a generation, or even forever.

Montrose have had some decent sides in the past, certainly in the 70s and 80s, but have floundered recently, clearly being the poorest of the Angus clubs in the past 10-15 years – but if this won’t wake them up from their slumber, nothing will.

They kept up appearances, so no danger of that. Montrose have dodged a bullet but I suspect this won't be their last playoff appearance and next time the opposition could be an LL club like Spartans. I don't think we will be waiting too many years to see a club get relegated.

:bairn :bairn

The thing that impressed me today was the turnout to rally round their local neighbour. Met Brechin and Forfar fans in the pub and Aberdeen and Arbroath fans in the ground. A massive kudos to all non Mo and Brora fans for turning out. Think the Pyramid playoffs could be deemed a success. Well done Mo, thoroughly deserved their win. On that showing surprised how well Brora have done in last 2 years.

Mobile phone post.....Woah! I never want to go through that ever again. The threat was getting a bit too near and real for a while. What can I say about Woody hitting that exocit missile into the roof of the net? Not a lot other than Ive never celebrated like that in my life....

it must have been hard to take for the Brora support; they put on a great show today.

Right. Next season.....! I really hope we have the current mgmt team. Crowds: 2200 there today; how do we galvanise some of them?

Delighted for Montrose. Can't imagine the horrific feeling you must have had in the run up. Don't really ever want to find out what it feels like either!

You will next year Annie.

Prepare for oblivion and an avalanche of Clyde goals v Queue Pee . :bairn

When it mattered Brora bottled it. When it mattered Brora players chose to go on stag trips and holidays. When it mattered players picked up needless bookings. When it mattered a player fancied an early bath and scuttled the game. When it mattered the chairman announces we don't want to go up and ruins our reputation. When it mattered we turn up without any subs. When it mattered we didn't.

Guest The Phoenix

When it mattered players picked up needless bookings. When it mattered a player fancied an early bath and scuttled the game.

Harsh and completely without foundation.

The bottom line is that Brora simply weren't good enough.

I remember saying on here at the time marv signed for elgin that when the chips are down, his aerial ability will win games by goals and mopping up panicking hoofballs in the last 10mins. ill take it. Cant see him being with us next year.

I remember saying on here at the time marv signed for elgin that when the chips are down, his aerial ability will win games by goals and mopping up panicking hoofballs in the last 10mins. ill take it. Cant see him being with us next year.

He is too expensive

When it mattered Brora bottled it. When it mattered Brora players chose to go on stag trips and holidays. When it mattered players picked up needless bookings. When it mattered a player fancied an early bath and scuttled the game. When it mattered the chairman announces we don't want to go up and ruins our reputation. When it mattered we turn up without any subs. When it mattered we didn't.

Can't be easy right now for the Brora guys that actually wanted to do it and that's the problem of being the big fish in financially-doped terms that chooses to stay in the wee pond. The novelty value of what seemed a fantasy a few seasons ago soon wears off.

Archived