SNP to Abstain from Fox Hunting Vote

Except the snp have a stance whereby they don't vote on laws which only affect England and they expect that only Scottish representatives should vote on matters which only affect Scotland.

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Except the snp have a stance whereby they don't vote on laws which only affect England and they expect that only Scottish representatives should vote on matters which only affect Scotland.

Well this one affects England & Wales so it doesn't count.

By voting on this it gives more weight to arguments for EVEL.

I was thinking that initially as well. It's clear the Tories will try and push through EVEL anyway so I'm not sure it actually matters from that perspective.

It will be interesting if the others see it as a bad thing that the SNP will vote on English Laws or if actually they might see it as an opportunity to have more people voting with them on things. Could go either way.

Well this one affects England & Wales so it doesn't count.

Ffs just add "and Wales" after England then. The point is we imo we should stick to our principles and not vote on laws which do not concern Scotland.

Could be a masterstroke from Sturgeon and the gang.

The Tories' having been using the 'Westminster Question' (England's 600ish MPs to our 59) to moon us ever since the GE triumph of the SNP. They can get it up them as far as I'm concerned. Anyway, like the guy above says, No Borders an aw that. Better Together. Union dividend etc etc...

Roll on #indyref2

I was thinking that initially as well. It's clear the Tories will try and push through EVEL anyway so I'm not sure it actually matters from that perspective.

They had to push EVEL into next session because some of their backbenchers weren't going to support it. This raises the possibility that some of those backbenchers could change their mind after watching Scottish MPs decide English (AND WELSH) policy.

Ok this is just going round in circles. For me, we should stick to our principles no matter what "the other side" have done rather than breaking those principles to make a (petty imo) point

Ok this is just going round in circles. For me, we should stick to our principles no matter what "the other side" have done rather than breaking those principles to make a (petty imo) point

I don't agree, fox hunting is abhorrent and the opportunity to outlaw it, no matter where, should be taken. I would have made it a free vote based on conscience though.

So what has fox hunting in England to do with Scotland?

It's fucking horrible.

They just want to change the rules to those the SNP Government allow in Scotland. Why would the SNP vote against that?

Isn't it the case that the "rules" are, more or less, already in line with Scotland? The only difference being that you can only use a pack of two (?) dogs when flushing out foxes in E&W. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Anyway, if you're going to kick up a fuss and vote on English and Welsh laws (the media seem keen to forget about Wales because it doesn't fit the "SNP = anti-English) then you might as well vote on a non-issue like this. Symbolic without having any real impact.

Isn't it the case that the "rules" are, more or less, already in line with Scotland? The only difference being that you can only use a pack of two (?) dogs when flushing out foxes in E&W. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Anyway, if you're going to kick up a fuss and vote on English and Welsh laws (the media seem keen to forget about Wales because it doesn't fit the "SNP = anti-English) then you might as well vote on a non-issue like this. Symbolic without having any real impact.

Is it a non-issue? I'd argue that it represents more of a principled stance than any opposition to EVEL, which I suspect the SNP are probably in favour of anyway.

I take the point that its symbolic legislation, but I'd like to think there's a moral stance being taken here - hence the lack of a free vote.

I'm glad the SNP have decided to vote on this. It's morally the right thing to do, whether it affects Scotland or not, so I applaud them for it.

I do find it funny, that almost in unison the SNP MPs were on twitter last night saying how they were all 'delighted' to be voting against, yet not so long ago they were giving the 'doesn't affect Scotland' line. Are they not allowed to use their own brain on these issues?

Archived