SNP to Abstain from Fox Hunting Vote

I haven't read the full thread, so apologies if this has already been covered. To my mind, this is a cheap ploy by Lynton Crosby/ The Tories.

It reads to me like they've all got round a table early on and held a meeting on what piece of legislation they can table early on that will be uncomfortable and difficult for the SNP.

If the SNP abstain, plenty down south will say "but you said you'd be ushering in progressive politics across the UK". If they vote against the repeal the other side of the arguement will question why the SNP are voting on strictly English only matters.

I'm in 2 minds. My mrs, although being against fox hunting, says the SNP have an obligation to stick to their pre election pledge and not get involved. I'm kind of veering towards they should vote against the repeal in the name of progressive politics.

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a 100% English only matter with no effect on us directly or indirectly and all 59 Scottish MP's along with thier Welsh and Northern Irish counterparts should abstain, if this was about hunting up here it would be in the Scottish parliament with the English Welsh and NI not getting a vote so as long as England doesn't have it's own parliament any vote which has no effect directly or indirectly on Scotland should be abstained from by our MP's. We wouldn't like it if English MP's effected our choice so we have no right to do it to England. I think fox hunting is an awful sport and totally wrong and I would like all 59 of our MP's to be vocal about this but it is a vote for the English MP's only. Many coutries were against Japan's whaling and the way the Russians treat bears and were very vocal on the subject but it was up to Russia and Japan to decide not the other counries.

I haven't read the full thread, so apologies if this has already been covered. To my mind, this is a cheap ploy by Lynton Crosby/ The Tories.

It reads to me like they've all got round a table early on and held a meeting on what piece of legislation they can table early on that will be uncomfortable and difficult for the SNP.

If the SNP abstain, plenty down south will say "but you said you'd be ushering in progressive politics across the UK". If they vote against the repeal the other side of the arguement will question why the SNP are voting on strictly English only matters.

I'm in 2 minds. My mrs, although being against fox hunting, says the SNP have an obligation to stick to their pre election pledge and not get involved. I'm kind of veering towards they should vote against the repeal in the name of progressive politics.

that's old firm levels of paranoia there- if you think the Tories will base every decision on making the SNP look bad..... They should abstain, English MPs can't vote on our fox hunting laws. This SNP progressive politics stuff is cringeworthy, anyone that falls for it with their record at holyrood needs their head examined.

that's old firm levels of paranoia there- if you think the Tories will base every decision on making the SNP look bad..... They should abstain, English MPs can't vote on our fox hunting laws. This SNP progressive politics stuff is cringeworthy, anyone that falls for it with their record at holyrood needs their head examined.

Where did I say "every decision"? I said specifically they've come up with this one piece of legislation early on that potentially could be uncomfortable for the SNP.

And whether you like it or not, the SNP are politically progressive. Which is proven, given how they coasted the election last week and will coast Holyrood next year.

But of course, you'll be correct and it'll be the Scottish electorate that are stupid, eh?

It's not exactly OF levels of paranoia. Unless you're naive enough to think that these sorts of games don't get played in politics. I'd like to think that if SNP ever got a chance like it, they'd do the same.

Imagine - politicians puling a political trick.

I'd be very surprised if that wasn't the case.

It's not exactly OF levels of paranoia. Unless you're naive enough to think that these sorts of games don't get played in politics. I'd like to think that if SNP ever got a chance like it, they'd do the same.

!00% spot on*. It's what political parties do.

* or even 100% spot on.

Who cares whether the SNP vote on fox hunting? I've never understood why people make such a big deal out of it. Given the choice I would keep it illegal, but in the grand scheme of things the Tories are planning on doing I struggle to understand why it's fox hunting that seems to be dominating.

It's an English only issue that has no direct effect on Scotland.

Of course they should abstain.

What if a Scottish fox crosses the border and is savaged by toffs?

Tories state they will look to repeal the ban in their manifesto.

England votes Tory

https://www.facebook.com/pages/National-Fox-Welfare-Society/608995775800729?fref=ts

National Fox Welfare Society goes after the SNP. Fucking mind numbing idiocy

Presumably they're doing so because putting pressure on the SNP might actually have an effect, though? Why waste your time shouting at a party that has been directly associated with fox hunting since before political parties were actually a thing?

I'm not at all torn on this one. I don't want the SNP to abstain from England-only laws, and I don't care in the slightest for any of the people who will be upset by them voting on England-only laws. They should be acting as England's moral compass, because sure as f**k nobody else is going to do it.

Archived