SNP to Abstain from Fox Hunting Vote

Foxes need to be culled do they not? If a load of folk want to run around killing them for nothing then they are doing society a favour in my opinion. Will we ban pheasant shooting and fishing next? Hardly a significant matter.

It's the hunting with dogs part that's illegal is it not? Think yer allowed to shoot them

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Foxes need to be culled do they not? If a load of folk want to run around killing them for nothing then they are doing society a favour in my opinion. Will we ban pheasant shooting and fishing next? Hardly a significant matter.

Have ye seen pheasants in the wild?

They are like chickens.

A long time ago I went out with a gamekeeper friend o' mine tae feed the pheasants.

He slipped a leather pouch over his shoulder then went in among the rhododendron bushes.

He whistled and the pheasants came running while he threw seed for them.

I wis astonished.

Nae wonder they have tae employ beaters otherwise a' ye would have tae dae is whistle and they'll come running.

I ken there's big bucks in pheasant shooting but it is a f**king scandal.

If the SNP voted against fox hunting, Bryan Ferry would hoik their theme song aff them.

Let's work together. :unsure:

We were tearing about up the woods one day, up near Craigieburn, when I was wee, and a huge sea of hounds suddenly came pouring out of the forest and enveloped us. They were excited but friendly. About five minutes later a bunch of toffs on horses went by. They were pretty shabbily dressed by fox-hunting standards, tbh. Even I, as a tink, thought they looked a bit rough. They could obviously afford horses and a big ton of hounds though, which is a bit of a class indicator.

We followed the hounds on foot for miles, and ended up getting a lift in a land rover off a posh woman, to follow on with the hunt.

At some later point she informed us that the kill had happened. She was nice enough.

Went home and drank a gallon of Kia Ora.

Even this extremely minor acquaintance with the hunts, from probably about twenty years ago now, leaves me undecided on the issue to this day. Sad.

Bizzare that you're allowed to shoot them, probably leaving a significant proportion injury and dying in agony over proceeding days, but you aren't allowed to kill them with dogs. A non issue.

I understand that farmers have tae protect their chickens and lambs etc by shooting the foxes.

But what is the mentality of some bloodthirsty c**t chasing a fox wi' a pack o' hounds.

So you're only justification for banning it is that people derive pleasure from it? Should we make it a precondition of shot gun licences that you DONT enjoy killing and must remain sombre at all times?

Don't think that would make much difference to the number of licenses issued - most shotgun owners of my acquaintance are dour buggers.

So you're only justification for banning it is that people derive pleasure from it? Should we make it a precondition of shot gun licences that you DONT enjoy killing and must remain sombre at all times?

There'll be a moratorium on pullin the heid aff it next.

It's political correctness gone mad mate.

Neither do hedgehogs. What's your point?

My point is that animals don't get a vote. If I was ever given the opportunity to prevent cruelty to animals anywhere in the world I would take it. To me, it's a moral issue. Say I was given the opportunity to have a say in stopping a new motorway being built through a rainforest in the Far East, I would take it rather than care about what the Malaysian people had voted for. It's just my opinion, but animal welfare is above borders for me so I wouldn't feel in the slightest bit wrong about interfering in another countries decisions on it.

Well done SNP for abstaining on this trifling, petty and insignificant issue. Save your votes for important stuff.

Just noticed this quote below from Tony Blair - utterly incredible that he can own up to making a mistake by introducing the bill for a ban on foxhunting, but yet, still insists he took the right decision on Iraq. He's completely fucking deranged.

Quote : "It was former Prime Minister Tony Blair’s Labour government who brought in the hunting ban, and in an interview with The Guardian in 2010, Mr Blair admitted that the decision was a mistake.

Admitting it was “not one of my finest policy moments”, he said: “I didn’t quite understand, and I reproach myself for this, that for a group of people in our society in the countryside this was a fundamental part of their way of life.”

I understand that farmers have tae protect their chickens and lambs etc by shooting the foxes.

But what is the mentality of some bloodthirsty c**t chasing a fox wi' a pack o' hounds.

Every dog should have its day.

They harp on about being told to lead the UK then moan when they get told to bolt. Lead the UK and less off the double standards

No doubt they'll jump into bed with the Tories in the EU Referendum...aka Labour September 2014

Could you qualify your first sentence?

Fox hunting is already illegal here. Let the English deal with their own laws. They're also members of the EU - should they take issue with the Spanish on bullfighting?

My point is that animals don't get a vote. If I was ever given the opportunity to prevent cruelty to animals anywhere in the world I would take it. To me, it's a moral issue. Say I was given the opportunity to have a say in stopping a new motorway being built through a rainforest in the Far East, I would take it rather than care about what the Malaysian people had voted for. It's just my opinion, but animal welfare is above borders for me so I wouldn't feel in the slightest bit wrong about interfering in another countries decisions on it.

I trust you're a vegetarian and Hunt Saboteur? I know many but IMO the SNP are right to abstain on this.

There's a chance to take a moral stance here. Cruelty doesn't stop as soon as you cross s border

Why should we get to tell the English what to do? They returned a Tory majority so they are obviously happy with their policies.

I always find it amusing when people get worked up on issues that have zero affect on their lives. Whether it be fox hunting, abortion or gay marriage. Having looked after hens I can't tell you the level of fear and menace foxes cause for owners.

The law in Scotland is they can chase the fox with dogs but they must shoot it when the dogs catch it. As the police aren't with them at the time, it is safe to say this doesn't happen. One passes a relative's house and I got told they had killed 4 foxes...when asked if I had heard a gun going off...the answer was No...Not sure what the law is in England.

Rich southern toffs coming here and shooting deers....how do we know the deer don't suffer if the guy misses the target area?

At the end of the day it's still killing for sport, but there seems to be not much objection? Possibly because it's a big money spinner for Highland Estates.

Would like to see them vote against it but they did say they would not vote on matters that don't affect Scotland. This doesn't.

Once the Tories bring in "EVEL"

The 56 SNP MP's and the 3 others wouldn't be able to vote on such things anyway.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/generalelection/general-election-2015-english-votes-for-english-laws-enacted-within-a-year-tories-promise-10199807.html

Basically in about a year this would be a non story.

Once the Tories bring in "EVEL"

The 56 SNP MP's and the 3 others wouldn't be able to vote on such things anyway.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/generalelection/general-election-2015-english-votes-for-english-laws-enacted-within-a-year-tories-promise-10199807.html

Basically in about a year this would be a non story.

I'm not sure EVEL will be introduced. Cameron May realise the implications or there may be enough Tory backbenchers who will revolt.

I always find it amusing when people get worked up on issues that have zero affect on their lives. Whether it be fox hunting, abortion or gay marriage. Having looked after hens I can't tell you the level of fear and menace foxes cause for owners.

I've always been of the opinion if a human being, with all the tools at their disposal, can't create a fox proof chicken coop then they've got no right to kill the fox for being outwitted by it

Archived