SNP to Abstain from Fox Hunting Vote

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is it a non-issue? I'd argue that it represents more of a principled stance than any opposition to EVEL, which I suspect the SNP are probably in favour of anyway.

I take the point that its symbolic legislation, but I'd like to think there's a moral stance being taken here - hence the lack of a free vote.

In the grand scheme of things, I don't think fox hunting is a big issue. I'm not convinced that the SNP are acting out of any sense of moral obligation/duty, and I'm perfectly fine with that.

It's an opportunity to land a punch on the Conservative government. That's good.

Because the law in Scotland is being re-examined and likely tightened up.

This supposedly monstrous law's been there since 2002 and they've only just decided to have a look at it?

In the grand scheme of things, I don't think fox hunting is a big issue. I'm not convinced that the SNP are acting out of any sense of moral obligation/duty, and I'm perfectly fine with that.

It's an opportunity to land a punch on the Conservative government. That's good.

Or its an opportunity for the Tory government to have the snp vote on a pretty meaningless in the grand scheme of things English law to prove a point.

Or its an opportunity for the Tory government to have the snp vote on a pretty meaningless in the grand scheme of things English law to prove a point.

That's certainly a possibility but I think the SNP will win more friends than enemies by voting against the government on this issue.

Quite the brass neck from the SNP to flip flop on that so early. If they wanted to vote on it, fair enough.. Just don't say you're not going to in the first place.

Quite the brass neck from the SNP to flip flop on that so early. If they wanted to vote on it, fair enough.. Just don't say you're not going to in the first place.

"We'll make Scotland the most powerful devolved government in the world."

Unless we get a majority in Westminster, in which case it's f**k you, back in your wee box.

Looks like they're going to delay the vote now. That's a second victory for the SNP over the tory majority. Get in.

Quite right. Beyond the moral case of not tearing poor foxes to pieces for funzies the British government have already trashed the 'mutual respect' agenda between them and the SNP. If you aren't going to recognise the clear mandate for more devolution granted the SNP by the people of Scotland, if you are not going to even implement the whole of the anaemic Smith commission and if you are gonna use English votes to trample down amendments pertaining to Scottish matters - then don't be surprised or whine when Scottish MPs use their powers to inconvenience you.

The SNP have played this brilliantly. A great little 'f**k you' to the Tories which will only increase their support around Britain as they now look to be the ones that have stopped this ridiculous bill going through, at least temporarily.

The SNP have played this brilliantly. A great little 'f**k you' to the Tories which will only increase their support around Britain as they now look to be the ones that have stopped this ridiculous bill going through, at least temporarily.

I think it's made them look like petty hypocrites. They've done nothing to change the law in Scotland in all the years they've had to do it, and now they've chosen just to investigate if it's been adhered to. As a principle they've always said they won't vote on matters that don't affect Scotland. What have they gained? Zilch.

DC has a tory majority of 12,

If this was a popular decision and vote amongst the Tory group then he could win the vote no matter what the SNP, Lab, Plaid, LD or anybody else did.

It is a pile of crap nonsense he can't even get his own party to back,

hence his chickening out of a vote.

welshbairn, on 14 Jul 2015 - 11:10, said:

I think it's made them look like petty hypocrites. They've done nothing to change the law in Scotland in all the years they've had to do it, and now they've chosen just to investigate if it's been adhered to. As a principle they've always said they won't vote on matters that don't affect Scotland. What have they gained? Zilch.

They've made David Cameron and the Tories look silly. They've made it look like they're doing Labour's job for them and all the while receiving almost complete adulation from the left side of society, not just restricted to Scotland.

Essentially, they've made the party look stronger than it actually is and willing to stand up for things whilst Labour look spineless.

They've made David Cameron and the Tories look silly. They've made it look like they're doing Labour's job for them and all the while receiving almost complete adulation from the left side of society, not just restricted to Scotland.

Essentially, they've made the party look stronger than it actually is and willing to stand up for things whilst Labour look spineless.

What are they standing up for, that English and Welsh foxes deserve to be chased by fewer dogs than Scottish foxes? Not exactly a high minded principle when they've done nothing to change the law in Scotland.

Archived