SNP to Abstain from Fox Hunting Vote

I'm happy that the SNP have shown that they can be a force for good and that they aren't an irrelevance, but they deserve every bit of shit thrown at them. Think they need to accept that and get on with it.

If they can continue to make an impact, who'll care?

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm a paid up SNP member and voter, and think they've scored a sizeable own goal to their rightful position on EVEL. What do you think they've gained?

I honestly don't care about EVEL and I don't particularly care if the right view the SNP as hypocrites. The SNP did pledge not to vote on English matters at a time when the English parties were pledging to push through meaningful devolution for Scotland. The landscape has changed and it's up to the SNP to adapt to that as they see fit.

I'd imagine they've gained admirers across the UK. Those of a progressive persuasion will be realising that the SNP can be a positive force and someone a minority left of centre party in England ought to work with. Those of a right-wing persuasion will be smashing their fists on the table about bloody Jocks. It's up to the likes of Labour to decide who they should try and appeal to next time a hung parliament looks possible.

Honesty as a party.

Thankfully every party is the same, but I'm disappointed.

So they haven't lost anything then ?

They're highlighting the hypocrisy of the Tories bleating on about EVEL whilst English MPs vote on Scottish laws. Good on them.

Credibility.

In what respect? Given how the SNP amendments to the Scotland bill have been defeated by trooping scores of MPs out of the bar come time to vote, the fact that Smith isn't even being implemented in full and generally the way they think they can afford to ignore the SNP, it's a good reminder that the SNP can still force the odd issue and that 'respect' is a two way street.

In what respect?

Sturgeon (Feb 2015) :- "The SNP have a longstanding position of not voting on matters that purely affect England - such as foxhunting south of the border for example - and we stand by that"

Except the snp have a stance whereby they don't vote on laws which only affect England and they expect that only Scottish representatives should vote on matters which only affect Scotland.

There is an issue with hunts in the Borders. I can imagine that policing/managing hunt that goes across the border could pose a few problems - to be bluntly honest - unmanageable.

I don't agree, fox hunting is abhorrent and the opportunity to outlaw it, no matter where, should be taken. I would have made it a free vote based on conscience though.

Jesus - what's happening - I am in complete agreement with Parp again.

It should have been left as a free vote - if all 56 did vote against then fine.

Archived