Stenhousemuir FC - The Warriors - The 2023/24 Thread

I've said it before and I'll say it again - the graphics used to trail our match highlights and matchday information is superb. The graphic that accompanies yesterday's highlights, with Adam Brown going in for a challenge, are class.

The photos from yesterday's game are excellent too. Huge credit to Ray Davies for capturing the moment Matty Yates' shot hit the post in injury time. The look on the faces of Marc McCallum and Andy Munro is superb.

F22e-IqXUAAwYxQ.thumb.jpeg.169de56a27bc220b7db4b9b9550cd643.jpeg

Now more than a little concerned at what is going on with the squad and in particular the lack of updates. Why are we struggling to get players in the door? Which players is it that are without a club at this stage?
Our squad photo was depressing. It looked like they’d pulled guys in off the street just to pad it out a bit. All it did was highlight the ridiculous position we are in.

1 hour ago, Nigel Blackwell said:

Now more than a little concerned at what is going on with the squad and in particular the lack of updates. Why are we struggling to get players in the door? Which players is it that are without a club at this stage?
Our squad photo was depressing. It looked like they’d pulled guys in off the street just to pad it out a bit. All it did was highlight the ridiculous position we are in.

You should try being an Elgin supporter if you think it’s difficult getting players in!

7 minutes ago, Am Featha *****h Nan Clach said:

I can't believe I thought Crighton for Buchanan was an even swap. Buchanan is sensational.

I know Forfar fans will get their knickers in a twist but Jamieson, Jamieson, Buchanan is the best keeper/defensive duo in the league by a distance.

Am gonna bite . Only because you said by a distance 

27 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

You really got me with that part, Ray Davies is a well respected man.

Yeah, he wrote that great song: Ochilview sunset

Bet you can’t sleep at night after reading this thread. Kinky

Edited by true fan

I wonder what the attendance will be for tomorrow night's SPFL Trust Trophy clash with Rangers' children's team. With the home side's lack of enthusiasm towards the opposition, Rangers' game with Servette broadcast on national television on the same evening and an overall apathy towards the competition, I think we'll be lucky to break the 200-mark here.

Speaking after Saturday's game with Peterhead, Brown Ferguson said they're going to use this encounter to give a run out to the players who have recently been on the bench (which, admittedly, is a small number given our overall lack of options). Curtis Lyle, Edin Lynch, James Berry, Ross Taylor and Matty Aitken are all likely to start. I might have headed along if we were playing a proper team - I'm keen to see what Berry, Taylor and Aitken have to offer - but this fixture leaves me cold.

Narrow home win.

5 a side then?

are trialists allowed in this competition or is it the old viaplay cup handicap system again?

are these 3 amateurs even at the club now - after their non appearance on the bench lately?

regarding our difficulty expanding the squad - is the manager not a fan of loans or are teams from higher leagues changing their practices for loaning out?

1 hour ago, true fan said:

5 a side then?

are trialists allowed in this competition or is it the old viaplay cup handicap system again?

are these 3 amateurs even at the club now - after their non appearance on the bench lately?

regarding our difficulty expanding the squad - is the manager not a fan of loans or are teams from higher leagues changing their practices for loaning out?

I'm not sure what the rules are regarding trialists competing in the SPFL Trust Trophy but I think it's a fair assumption we're unlikely to see the three amateurs again, given they were last seen three weeks ago in the League Cup tie against Alloa Athletic.

Regarding our squad building, Gary Naysmith said after the Forfar Athletic match that he wanted to sign good players that he trusts and could make a difference, not just boys brought in for the sake of it (and you only have to look at Clyde's team to see the perils of throwing shit at the wall and hoping something sticks). I was told players were coming in prior to the Forfar game, but that didn't materialise. Nevertheless, the club are monitoring a number of candidates at left-back and up front and it's just a matter of being patient for the time being and hoping that our current crop can see us through. I was very antsy in the week after the League Cup when no-one was brought in but I've come to terms with the fact we're going to be a little light until later in the month, or maybe even September.

For what it's worth, Forfar and Peterhead only had a handful of substitutes on their respective benches, so we're not exactly in a poorer position than our play-off rivals.

We have to be patient and see who comes through the door. Some gaffers may still be deciding who is surplus after seeing their team play competitively or what level to loan specific fringe players.

Can't help but still get apprehensive though, especially when I see teams recruiting loans and these players being dished out to the likes of Bo'ness. Players like Lucas Stenhouse, whom may have done a job for us and it makes you wonder who will be available. Got to have hope. We've done a much better job recruiting this season. 

Did alright. They were rapid up front which caused a few problems. Lyle made some good saves, but we had a few chances of our own, although it would be fair to say that while Rangers shots were generally on target, the same could not be said of us. Twice we had stramashes on their goal line, one of which was cleared on the line, above head height, by foot. Amazing! We also annoyingly managed to cut the ball back from the byline 3 or 4 times, behind our forwards who had all advanced to the 6 yard box. 

There was a degree of inevitability about the winner. It came just after Adam Brown had missed a real sitter and then, in typical Stenhousemuir fashion, a sclaffed shot that took a deflection and looped up over Lyle before limping across the line. 

Matty Aitken did well 1st half and to be fair to him looked a decent target man. Michael Anderson was impressive - seemed to be playing in support of Aitken, but went hard at it the full 90 minutes. Ross Taylor had flashes while James Berry was a little anonymous. Booked early which seemed to hold him back. Really like Bilham at left back. He is solid, but also good on the ball. 

Nicky Jamieson was injured. Really, really hope he is fit for Saturday. Edin Lynch while being pretty solid, was pretty careless with his distribution. At least he scored. 

1 hour ago, Nigel Blackwell said:

Edin Lynch while being pretty solid, was pretty careless with his distribution.

Obviously a few years since we had Eden Lynch, but we were a team of ballers back then and I have the burning recollection they purposefully didn't pass to him.