Stenhousemuir FC - The Warriors - The 2023/24 Thread

Despite the result, Stenhousemuir turned in another encouraging performance and gave another display that augurs well for the season ahead. The Warriors hit the post towards the end of the first half and were the better team after the interval and on the balance of play, a draw would have been the fairest outcome. Once again, against full-time opposition several divisions above, Stenny looked competitive. From my vantage point, it was hard to tell what happened at Ayr United's goal, but it looked like Kinlay Bilham got skinned down the flank before the cross was converted from close range. Other than that, and one shot that whacked off Curtis Lyle's face from close range, the home team were limited.

Our two best players were, once again, Ross Meechan and Mikey Anderson. Meechan, who wore the captain's armband for the evening, put in a terrific shift at centre-back and largely kept Fraser Bryden at bay. He was aggressive in the tackle and his distribution was crisp. Anderson, meanwhile, got through a power of running in the first half and did his best to disrupt Ayr before moving to right-back following the restart. Someone said this could be his "breakout season" and I agree with them. Everyone else played well, especially Nicky Jamieson, Nat Wedderburn and Euan O'Reilly, a half-time substitute. James Berry was a little subdued and Edin Lynch played like he suffered a collapsed prolapse, but there wasn't much to complain about.

The only real blow was the injury to Matty Aitken - he was coughing up blood at one point - and according to our Twitter page, he's gone to hospital with a "painful throat injury". Let's hope he's back in action very soon. We need new players in - and fast! (But good ones, not dumplings deemed not good enough by Clyde.)

There was talk last night that Gregor Buchanan won't be available until the final game against Alloa Athletic. Other than a handful of initial training sessions, he hasn't played in any of our pre-season or League Cup fixtures. I have never heard of someone taking such an extended honeymoon before outside of an F Scott Fitzgerald novel and you have to say "fair play!" to the management for allowing him such a generous holiday. Hopefully the match against the Wasps and the Jersey Bulls at the end of the month give him the game time he needs.

Yeah I don't have any worries about Buchanan. Centre back isn't the most strenuous of positions on a football park so I'm sure he will slot in just fine when he's back.

Meechan was really good last night but I am looking forward to us having our strongest defence for the league and that area alone looks an upgrade on last season when they are all fit and playing.

We still need two or three through the door that can add quality to the squad as we are clearly short on numbers.

Quality will have to come from the loan market I don't see much kicking about from the free agents and we don't want to go down the route of Clyde just filling the squad with anyone who has a pulse and may have played fives before.

Jordan Lowdon has suddenly and unexpectedly left the club - CLICK.

Although I didn't particularly rate Lowdon, I wish him a speedy recovery and hope he's back playing soon. This is a pain in the arse for us in the short term and leaves us scrambling around to find another defender - it's been hard going to put together this team and it's another body we need to recruit. We now need three players, I'd reckon - a left-back, a wide attacker and a striker.

1 minute ago, true fan said:

Yeah - not a rich blood supply so heals very slowly. Good luck to him. Took me over 2 years with, as you say, several false dawns along the way.

Where did callum yates end up?

Think I clocked him at Civil Service Strollers.

4 hours ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

There was talk last night that Gregor Buchanan won't be available until the final game against Alloa Athletic. Other than a handful of initial training sessions, he hasn't played in any of our pre-season or League Cup fixtures. I have never heard of someone taking such an extended honeymoon before outside of an F Scott Fitzgerald novel and you have to say "fair play!" to the management for allowing him such a generous holiday. Hopefully the match against the Wasps and the Jersey Bulls at the end of the month give him the game time he needs.

It takes a while to humph all that monogrammed luggage 😉 I wish Bucky and Iona all the very best.

I know they'll be reading this but you have to say a massive "fair play" to our multimedia team over the past few months - the calibre of the graphics we're producing to promote our season tickets and our League Cup matches has been great. The collage of players looks excellent and the recent infographics with supporters like Roy Guthrie and Owen McGuckin have been class and really emphasises the club's community feel.

12 hours ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

I know they'll be reading this but you have to say a massive "fair play" to our multimedia team over the past few months - the calibre of the graphics we're producing to promote our season tickets and our League Cup matches has been great. The collage of players looks excellent and the recent infographics with supporters like Roy Guthrie and Owen McGuckin have been class and really emphasises the club's community feel.

Many thanks for the kind words

We're still trying to find our feet this season and had a few issues along the way, but we're in a strong place, have a really talented, dedicated and enthusiastic team and have some really big ideas for the season. We have the documents, the strategy and planning processes in place that would improve a full time club

We brought in Connor Ferguson from Cowdenbeath to lead our matchday media team and he's crushing it with the ideas and plans that he has, so stay tuned. No doubt you'll have already seen a sharp rise in matchday media content. This is driven by Connor who is determined to drive on and make us the best

We've also brought in Rennie Hamilton who will help us pull the club and community closer together and a lot of the community stuff that you're already seeing is coming from Rennie, so it's good to see that it's having the desired effect

We have two of the best photographers in the league in Aaron Marshall and Raymond Davies who know exactly what we're looking for and are always in the right place at the right. Along with the community, we want to bring the fans in closer to the club and use that passion that you guys show every week in our media content. So if you see the guys pointing a camera at you, make sure you bring the passion that we want to get across to everyone else!

We're also pleased to welcome Chris MacMillan to the team this week. Chris was Dumbarton TV commentator last season and he'll join us as our matchday commentator as well as interviewer, potential podcast host, and will become the voice of The Warriors

There are still a few bits that we need to iron out though as we get used to working with each other. We've invested in some new equipment, in particular, microphones and lighting to help us produce the best interview. We're also looking to take that extra step in our matchday highlights packages, which have been neglected a bit. We are looking for a videographer to help us avoid having to use Pixellot, so if anyone is keen to join, or knows anyone that's interested, please send them our way. It's not a skilled position, but it's vital to help us achieve our goals

As always, if anyone has any ideas on how we can improve, let's hear it in a constructive way

Thanks, Ian

Another shaky start yesterday, although Anderson and Lynch as full backs is never going to be a good combination. Both struggled until Lynch was subbed and Anderson swapped with Berry. From then on we did Ok, but the damage was done.

We do have a lot of options going forward and Buchanan steadied the ship when he came on, so once we can get defenders fit and hopefully get 3 or 4 new players through the door we should be in a good place.

On the balance of play we deserved a draw and but for what looked a clear penalty (it was so obvious that I am now doubting myself!) we may well have got one. It was a pivotal decision by the referee. O’Reilly was kicked, pulled, body checked the whole game by the no6 in particular, and we ended up getting O’Reilly and Buchanan booked as frustration boiled over.

As for Tuesday, we are so low on numbers I am wondering if we may actually end up having to play Lyle or Jamieson outfield. 

Edited by Nigel Blackwell

Bilham injured. I think Gary would be as well registering himself for Tuesday and playing. That's an utterly bizarre thing to say with two weeks to go until the real stuff but the Alloa game is a dead rubber now and we can't afford anymore injuries.

We have acquited ourselves well in the group but I can't remember ever being so low on numbers heading into a season at this stage. Where is this infamous database of players we have? Are we just waiting on loans?

Hopefully it comes together but the last few signings in Bilham and Lynch are clearly in the lower end of the wage budget. We aren't going to get sufficient quality to bolster the squad if we are looking along the same lines. 

Will the new strip be ready for the first league game? I'm sure it isn't for the want of trying but everything  seems a bit chaotic as we approach the league games.