Stenhousemuir FC - The Warriors - The 2023/24 Thread

10 hours ago, true fan said:

What exactly does amateur mean with regards to terms and conditions?
Can be paid expenses? Expenses but no salary allowed? Can be terminated more easily by us, for example if injured?
we can’t hold on to them if another offer comes their way? We can’t sell them?

just wondering

I’m guessing trialists will be keen on free trip to jersey

Can be paid expenses, and can leave at any time for free (might be a week's notice, I can't remember exactly) is usually the deal with amateur contracts. Be that because the player wants to move on, or because the club want rid.

I must admit to be being a little worried about the upcoming season at the moment. I did expect that we would have filled out the squad a little before now. You're left hoping that Naysmith knows what he is doing and only time will tell, but we only had 11 fit players on Tuesday night. Priority are a left back and a centre forward - not benchwarmers, but starters. No idea what this Jersey trip is going to be like unless we plan to use trialists. I suspect that we can probably see it far enough.

On the plus side, I have been impressed with what I've seen, given the circumstances. Defensively we have had a nightmare. I don't actually think Ross Meechan has played a single minute at right back, but going forward I think we should see a little more activity around the opposition goal than we did the last two seasons. 

I've been blown away watching Tiwi Daramola's performances for Kelty Hearts so far this season. The striker has scored four times and recorded four assists in his three League Cup appearances and it looks like he could get about 30 goals over the course of the year. I appreciate that it doesn't work out for some players and some clubs and they can go on to flourish elsewhere, but why was he overlooked by successive managers and coaches during his time at Stenhousemuir? Even when he was young and developing, his speed and acceleration alone should have afforded him in a run in the first team.

I think he'll be at Kelty for 12 months before being sold on to a Premiership side or a club in England. He really does seem like "the one that got away"!

I remember watching Tiwi play at youth levels and was delighted when he signed on with us in the first team. Could understand  when he was farmed out to Oakley and Camelon but should never have been released without given an opportunity. It does highlight though that we can develop decent players in the youth set-up and the pathway to the first team should be restored immediately. Especially when you look at our squad this season. If we were giving opportunity to young lads who were mostly bench filling, it's still experience of the first team and most fans would appreciate the development.

On 27/07/2023 at 10:22, Nigel Blackwell said:

I must admit to be being a little worried about the upcoming season at the moment. I did expect that we would have filled out the squad a little before now. You're left hoping that Naysmith knows what he is doing and only time will tell, but we only had 11 fit players on Tuesday night. Priority are a left back and a centre forward - not benchwarmers, but starters. No idea what this Jersey trip is going to be like unless we plan to use trialists. I suspect that we can probably see it far enough.

On the plus side, I have been impressed with what I've seen, given the circumstances. Defensively we have had a nightmare. I don't actually think Ross Meechan has played a single minute at right back, but going forward I think we should see a little more activity around the opposition goal than we did the last two seasons. 

There will be a left back over in Jersey. Decent pedigree (not Naysmith) so let's see how that goes tonight.

I understand it was Matthew Shiels. He was at Hamilton Academical last season. Eye-witness accounts suggest he was poor against a very mediocre Jersey Bulls side this evening.

The other trialist was Aaron Reid, formerly of Heart of Midlothian and St Mirren. He appears to have disappeared off the radar in recent seasons, with Transfermarkt listing Camelon as his most recent club in 2021.

25 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

I understand it was Matthew Shiels. He was at Hamilton Academical last season. Eye-witness accounts suggest he was poor against a very mediocre Jersey Bulls side this evening.

The other trialist was Aaron Reid, formerly of Heart of Midlothian and St Mirren. He appears to have disappeared off the radar in recent seasons, with Transfermarkt listing Camelon as his most recent club in 2021.

Matthew Shiels spent a stint on loan to ourselves when he was at Rangers as a youngster and he was fairly hopeless. That was a few years ago in the league above mind you, he may well have improved after his spell with Hamilton.

3 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Matthew Shiels spent a stint on loan to ourselves when he was at Rangers as a youngster and he was fairly hopeless. That was a few years ago in the league above mind you, he may well have improved after his spell with Hamilton.

Genuinely don't remember him. I'm sure he's great.

Had really high hopes that from our early signings we would go on to have a really strong squad and have a good season.  Now getting the fear that we are in for another struggle unless we get a couple of decent signings in before the Forfar game. We cannot afford to be lacking in out first 4 or 5 games and be playing catch up.

14 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Matty Shiels started his career as a striker, came to us as a full-back but seemed to only really be trusted on the wing. I thought he was physically superb, but technically attrocious.

He's had a decent career since then though, and played a good chunk of games for Hamilton. So I assume he's improved a fair bit. He'd probably be a good signing for a club at this level.

19 hours ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Matty Shiels started his career as a striker, came to us as a full-back but seemed to only really be trusted on the wing. I thought he was physically superb, but technically attrocious.

He's had a decent career since then though, and played a good chunk of games for Hamilton. So I assume he's improved a fair bit. He'd probably be a good signing for a club at this level.

Likewise, he had a spell at ourselves during the Covid ceiling and I believe David W described him as a low floor, high ceiling player during that spell. As Jan said, he’s gone on to play a number of games for Hamilton and I believe he left there holding out for a better full-time offer. I’d certainly think Stenhousemuir could do worse than sign him.

I apologise to @Francesc Fabregas on behave of most Forfar fans, that one of our lads have started a Stenny home thread.

Please ignore that thread and start your own in good time. Manners seem to be lost with him.

Nothing beats a Francesc start of the season write up.