Stenhousemuir FC - The Warriors - The 2023/24 Thread

On 25/07/2023 at 22:59, true fan said:

What exactly does amateur mean with regards to terms and conditions?
Can be paid expenses? Expenses but no salary allowed? Can be terminated more easily by us, for example if injured?
we can’t hold on to them if another offer comes their way? We can’t sell them?

just wondering

I’m guessing trialists will be keen on free trip to jersey

On 26/07/2023 at 09:40, Jan Vojáček said:

Can be paid expenses, and can leave at any time for free (might be a week's notice, I can't remember exactly) is usually the deal with amateur contracts. Be that because the player wants to move on, or because the club want rid.

Can be paid 'genuine' expenses but are not employees. So if it costs them £25 of fuel to get to training and games then that can be refunded no issue but they can't get £20 paid for playing nor earn any bonuses.

Termination is no different to a professional fundamentally. It can be cancelled only if both parties agree to it and if so then it's cancelled immediately. The concept of "notice" as referred to by Jan is for employment so wouldn't apply to an amateur. Can't be ended by either club or player unilatterally anyway, although an amateur can appeal to the SFA for his release if the club refuses it. An amateur registration runs from the day it is signed to the next 30th June. All amateur registrations end on that date nationwide, regardless of level of football.

Clubs have no 'rights' on amateur players though. They can't 'sell' them and the player can leave the club at the end of his amateur registration without any compensation being due regardless of age or whether a contract was offered. 

Edited by Skyline Drifter

Sorry to intrude on your thread but I just wanted to commend the club on a brilliant initiative. My six year old son is a young maroon and is there every Saturday morning at Ochilview. 

I have just seen that he gets a free U16 season ticket for the coming season. He will be delighted and in all likelihood you'll either get myself (or his mum) paying at the gate when Ayr United aren't at Somerset! Starting this Saturday against Forfar. You won't convert me (as an Ayr diehard) but you do have the chance of converting him!

3 hours ago, Trogdor said:

Sorry to intrude on your thread but I just wanted to commend the club on a brilliant initiative. My six year old son is a young maroon and is there every Saturday morning at Ochilview. 

I have just seen that he gets a free U16 season ticket for the coming season. He will be delighted and in all likelihood you'll either get myself (or his mum) paying at the gate when Ayr United aren't at Somerset! Starting this Saturday against Forfar. You won't convert me (as an Ayr diehard) but you do have the chance of converting him!

You can get a community season ticket for £70, if its worth your while due to your Son playing for the Young Maroons.

New season = high expectations but how long will they last?  Do we have a big enough squad to deal with injuries and suspensions?  Can we achieve a top 4 finish this year or will we be fighting at the bottom?

As usual many questions and hopes before a new season starts - lets hope it is an enjoyable one for club, players and supporters.

48 minutes ago, Moonglum25 said:

New season = high expectations but how long will they last?  Do we have a big enough squad to deal with injuries and suspensions?  Can we achieve a top 4 finish this year or will we be fighting at the bottom?

As usual many questions and hopes before a new season starts - lets hope it is an enjoyable one for club, players and supporters.

A month or so ago, I thought we were putting a team together that could win the league. I was excited by the likes of Darren Jamieson, Ross Meechan and James Berry and I believed we could go on to have a successful season. But since that initial rush, business has been frustrating. We've signed a mediocre defender in Edin Lynch and an untested full-back from the PFA exit trials in Kinlay Bilham, and it's hard to believe we're two days away from the opening game of the league campaign with a squad of just 16. It's very disappointing, to be honest, and it's difficult to remember a time when we seemed so unprepared - maybe 2016/17?

I think we have the players that can win a division but we don't have the squad. As such, I've downgraded my expectations from "title challengers" to "top-four hopefuls" (that might change if we're able to bring in the three players we need, of course). I don't think we'll struggle at the bottom but I don't think we have enough to bother Dumbarton and Forfar Athletic at the top.

I am very much looking forward to it all the same!

Edited by Francesc Fabregas

As others have stated I cannot believe that 2 days from the start of the league we only have a squad of 16. Had it been 16 top notch players that would have been bad enough but it looks like there may well be a couple of shirt fillers in there, time will tell. I would have been happy with a squad of 18 to start with and then use loanees for any that are struggling or needing offloaded.

Any word if the manager is going to have a meeting with the fans. Would love to hear his thoughts and plans on the current situation?

The first five games are going to be difficult and will give us a good indication of where we are.

Will only take a few injuries to hamper our season and those in first 11 are going to be playing a high number of minutes throughout all competitions. 

Like others, I'm worried about the squad depth and lack of signings coming into the season. Just got to hope the club have a few things planned and waiting on them materialising. 

43 minutes ago, true fan said:

Why didn’t we stick the 3 amateurs on the bench today? Serious question

What would be the point of having folk there that we're never going to put on? We had a keeper, defender, midfielder and striker on the bench. Not ideal but there's no point in just filling it up for the sake of it 

5 minutes ago, Am Featha *****h Nan Clach said:

What would be the point of having folk there that we're never going to put on? We had a keeper, defender, midfielder and striker on the bench. Not ideal but there's no point in just filling it up for the sake of it 

To cover, in case the shit hits the fan?

2 minutes ago, Old Fashioned Stramash said:

To cover, in case the shit hits the fan?

I don’t see how they would cover the fans from being covered In shit as the bench is on the opposite side from the stand 

1 minute ago, C_titz said:

I don’t see how they would cover the fans from being covered In shit as the bench is on the opposite side from the stand 

Suppose,  but they could run round and pull the big nets closed. Wouldn't stop all of the spray but at least it'd catch some of more solid tollies. 

33 minutes ago, Am Featha *****h Nan Clach said:

So what happens if there are 2 or even 3 injuries to defenders in the match - why not have Aaron Reid on the bench ready to come on if needs be?  Do teams in the champions league have 1 defender, 1 midfielder, 1 forward on the bench? Signing amateurs and not putting them on the bench is a waste of time. Robs them of a chance of finding a pro contract, deny ourself an extra insurance against injury during the match. Costs us nothing financially. Daft imo

8 minutes ago, true fan said:

So what happens if there are 2 or even 3 injuries to defenders in the match - why not have Aaron Reid on the bench ready to come on if needs be?  Do teams in the champions league have 1 defender, 1 midfielder, 1 forward on the bench? Signing amateurs and not putting them on the bench is a waste of time. Robs them of a chance of finding a pro contract, deny ourself an extra insurance against injury during the match. Costs us nothing financially. Daft imo

Because shuffling senior pros into unfamiliar positions is preferable to putting on absolute dross. Saying that, Reid would have been just about serviceable. 

Interesting that Naysmith said he had made offers to two players last week. Presume one was the guy that signed for Dumbo. I had assumed he was going to take loan signings (and I presume he still will) but it looks like he was hoping to have 18 or 19 signed players. He is going to have to pull a couple of rabbits out of the hat now as the pool of quality players looking for a contract must be dwindling.

Shiels signed for Dumbarton - more local to him and he is keen to play as winger, which they are allowing. As we know, we were looking at him for left back

Anybody know who the other player is/was?

Edited by true fan