Stenhousemuir FC - The Warriors - The 2023/24 Thread

10 minutes ago, Old Fashioned Stramash said:

Signed Edin Lynch today, who was last with Dumbarton. Don't know much about him but plays a centre or right back. 

He's not very good. Tries hard and will header a wall for you but as I previously said to a Clyde fan asking about him, he's always sort of looked like a Lowland League player. He'll probably do a job filling in here or there but if he's required to start games for any period of time his lack of quality will show. 

On 05/07/2023 at 09:39, The Moonster said:

In League 2 you're getting the last pick of the loans and usually anyone decent comes with a price as well (St Johnstones young players for example are a money making exercise as much as it is about getting players experience

Pardon?

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

Pardon?

St Johnstone have built up a good academy of players over the years and as such their young players come with a decent reputation. St Johnstone being the well run club they are use that reputation to leverage funds from other clubs when sending players on loan. I'm sure some of your boys will go out for next to nothing but any player your club rates will come at a price. It wasn't meant as a dig at your club.

47 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

St Johnstone have built up a good academy of players over the years and as such their young players come with a decent reputation. St Johnstone being the well run club they are use that reputation to leverage funds from other clubs when sending players on loan. I'm sure some of your boys will go out for next to nothing but any player your club rates will come at a price. It wasn't meant as a dig at your club.

On 05/07/2023 at 09:39, The Moonster said:

St Johnstones young players for example are a money making exercise as much as it is about getting players experience

Was that line that made it sound critical, and as if the young players are seen as just cash cows. I think we do a decent job of making sure they dont just fester in our youth system before either being chucked into our squad or on the scrapheap.

Not a clue about money wise so interesting to hear we do charge for loans. Always wondered how it worked.

1 hour ago, Old Fashioned Stramash said:

Signed Edin Lynch today, who was last with Dumbarton. Don't know much about him but plays a centre or right back. 

You guys have signed well enough but I'm not too concerned hearing that. I doubt he'll be a regular starter, fine as a squad player though. His injury status hasn't been great the last couple of years either.

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

Was that line that made it sound critical, and as if the young players are seen as just cash cows. I think we do a decent job of making sure they dont just fester in our youth system before either being chucked into our squad or on the scrapheap.

Not a clue about money wise so interesting to hear we do charge for loans. Always wondered how it worked.

I did say "as much as"! Can only go from what I've heard when we had your guys on loan in the past, and I believe is a big reason our manager has largely avoided loans for two seasons now. You guys do a good job, no doubting that. 

Another pointless exercise today - similar to Tuesday but no centre halfs today (except the injured new boy that came on at right back!) even Naysmith was named as a sub! 
Taylor had flashes of skill again but faded out, O’Reilly usual decent performance and Yates fine when introduced! 
Meechan and Wedderburn at centre half was just bonkers! 
roll on proper games!! 🙄

Edin Lynch has all the physical attributes you'd want from a defender at this level. He's strong, quick, will run all day and is good in the air. If you thought Sean Crighton was ropey with the ball at his feet though then, my word, are you in for some fun with Lynchy. He'd batter forward into some good attacking positions for us, then balloon the ball out of play and into the Leven several times a game.

There might be a rough diamond in there. He barely played for us last season, even when we basically ran out of players. Although he kept Charlie Reilly quiet at Cliftonhill in the new year game. We did turf him on at left wing at one point during the injury crisis mind you, which was a good laugh. But I was surprised when Clyde were linked with him, and I'm even more surprised to see Stenny bringing him in.

Maybe he'll do you a turn. Maybe he's actually a centre-half and not a RB. Who knows. But I wasn't expecting him to come up against us this year.

On one hand, we shouldn't be looking too much into yesterday's match - our first-choice centre-backs were unavailable, the starting XI was thrown together and our 44-year-old manager was listed on the bench - but on the other, it's another defeat to a Lowland League side and consecutive matches where we've conceded twice in the opening seven minutes. Of course, these friendlies, as well as our upcoming League Cup fixtures, are just preparation for the league campaign and are more about getting minutes in the legs and trying thing out more than anything else, but you want to see something to whet the appetite. It doesn't augur well and I'm a little anxious about the season ahead.

Edin Lynch is effectively the new Dan Higgins - he's unlikely to play ahead of Gregor Buchanan, Nicky Jamieson or Ross Meechan and will only feature sporadically. Nevertheless, it's not a particularly encouraging signing and doesn't appear to improve the quality of the squad. I think we're one attacker away from finishing our business (and I'm absolutely terrified it's going to be Robert Jones) and it's been pretty underwhelming, all in. We were quick off the mark with some of our signings and addressed some of our problems from last season (goalkeeper, midfield, a big centre-forward) but there are still issues. The probable starting XI is quite good but I'm not sold on Jordan Lowdon at left-back, the Nat Wedderburn conundrum rolls on and I think Ross Taylor will need time to adjust to rigours of the SPFL. Outside of the starting XI, there's a drop off in quality and all it takes is an injury to Buchanan or Matty Yates for us to look exposed.

All our signings apparently go through some degree of scouting and analysis but that can't be the case if we're bringing in players from the SPFL Exit Trials or guys like Lynch are pitching up. It's clear we're having a hard time putting a team together. It all reminds me a bit of the 2019/20 season under Colin McMenamin after we were relegated back to League 2 - a difficult summer left us with a handful of decent players alongside a lot of dreck and ultimately led to a disappointing campaign.

Hopefully I'm getting my knickers in a twist over nothing and we go on to win the division!

Here's how the squad's looking:

GOALKEEPERS
Darren Jamieson (signed from Kelty Hearts)
Curtis Lyle

DEFENDERS
Kinlay Bilham (signed from Ayr United)
Gregor Buchanan (signed from Dumbarton)
Nicky Jamieson
Jordan Lowdon
Edin Lynch (signed from Dumbarton)
Ross Meechan (signed from Darvel)

MIDFIELDERS
Mikey Anderson
James Berry (signed from the University of Stirling)
Adam Brown
Jordan Kirkpatrick (signed from Darvel)
Nat Wedderburn

FORWARDS
Matty Aitken (signed from Forfar Athletic)
Euan O'Reilly
Ross Taylor (signed from Auchinleck Talbot)
Matty Yates

And this will probably be our first choice XI going forward:

- Matty Aitken -

- Euan O"Reilly - Matty Yates - Ross Taylor -

- Nat Wedderburn - James Berry -

- Jordan Lowdon - Gregor Buchanan - Nicky Jamieson - Ross Meechan -

- Darren Jamieson -

Edited by Francesc Fabregas

Alternatives might be?

1/ Yates up top and Kirkpatrick central attacking midfielder?

or

2/ o’Reilly                        Yates                         Taylor

Berry       Wedderburn     Brown

some feel miller dropped off last season but sooner have him than some of the signings

not confident right now

at 17 players now. Wasn’t that the number we heard? If we getting one more, we might need loan player that turns out to be a world beater

Edited by true fan

14 hours ago, true fan said:

Alternatives might be?

1/ Yates up top and Kirkpatrick central attacking midfielder?

or

2/ o’Reilly                        Yates                         Taylor

Berry       Wedderburn     Brown

some feel miller dropped off last season but sooner have him than some of the signings

not confident right now

at 17 players now. Wasn’t that the number we heard? If we getting one more, we might need loan player that turns out to be a world beater         

It's certainly a fair point. I appreciate his form tailed off towards the end of last season (no more so than anyone else, it must be said) and with James Berry joining, he might not have been an automatic starter, but Michael Miller is a good player and someone who could operate well in a couple of different positions. Letting him go while bringing in someone like Edin Lynch doesn't make much sense to me. It weakens the quality of the squad and when injuries and suspensions inevitably hit, we're going to be worse off.

As always - I hope I'm wrong and just sounding off like a big worrywart!

Last season vs this season…still hopeful we can get a decent striker in. Starting with Aitken as our frontline striker gives me the fear.

Improvements

Jamieson vs Brennan / Cantley

Taylor vs Orr

Berry vs Forbes

Kirkpatrick vs Miller

Downgrades

Lynch vs Higgins

Aitken vs Reilly

Unsure

Meechan vs Corbett

Buchanan vs Crighton

Bilham vs Yeats

16 hours ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

- Matty Aitken -

- Euan O"Reilly - Matty Yates - Ross Taylor -

- Nat Wedderburn - James Berry -

- Jordan Lowdon - Gregor Buchanan - Nicky Jamieson - Ross Meechan -

- Darren Jamieson -

Looking at the Clyde squad so far, our starting lineup would be something like:

- Martin Rennie -

- Euan Cameron - Liam Scullion - Ross Forbes -

- Barry Cuddihy - Stuart Carswell -

- Jon Craig - Eric Sula - Peter Grant - Darren Hynes -

- Jack Leighfield -

We’ll likely add one or two more, but they’re probably going to be the likes of Isaac Layne/Carlos Lyon and a boy from Rossvale (queue Norm McDonald “All the stars!” meme) so needless to say Im looking at the Stenny lineup practically frothing with jealousy. 

Edited by Brian Carrigan

2 hours ago, Burnsythebinman said:

Darren Jamieson will be on good money, so will buchanan, meechan, aitken. unless weve won the lottery, the other new signings will be plsyers on less. decent enough but not big earners. hoping for another striker but fear theres not many available

Aye, I appreciate it's not quite a black-and-white issue and things like money, motivation and external factors will all feature in players moving in and out but nevertheless, it's not hugely encouraging.