Stenhousemuir FC - The Warriors - The 2023/24 Thread

It was only a matter of time before Gregor Buchanan pitched up at Ochilview. On paper, he seems like a solid signing and an upgrade on Sean Crighton and I hope he can do us a good turn. We seem to be putting together a useful squad and I hope we can sign a good left-back to complement this new-look backline.

It's still early days but our business has been generally quite positive, especially when compared to our divisional rivals. Who knows! It might lead to that elusive title win. It probably won't but you have to dream!

Another update on the squad for the season ahead:

GOALKEEPERS
Darren Jamieson (signed from Kelty Hearts)
Curtis Lyle

DEFENDERS
Gregor Buchanan (signed from Dumbarton)
Nicky Jamieson
Jordan Lowdon
Ross Meechan (signed from Darvel)

MIDFIELDERS
Mikey Anderson
James Berry (signed from the University of Stirling)
Adam Brown
Jordan Kirkpatrick (signed from Darvel)
Mikey Miller
Nat Wedderburn

FORWARDS
Matty Aitken (signed from Forfar Athletic)
Euan O'Reilly
Ross Taylor (signed from Auchinleck Talbot)
Matty Yates

The club have announced that a consultation with supporters over the Conference League proposals will take place at Ochilview on Thursday 1 June at 7pm.

I'm pleased the board had put the proposition towards the fans and I hope to see as many of you there as possible!

Hope there's a good turnout.

The club has organised a meeting for Stenhousemuir supporters on Thursday 1st June in the Ormond Suite at Ochilview Park, commencing at 7pm.

The purpose of the meeting is to discuss the proposal from the Scottish FA to establish a new Conference League at Tier 5 in the Scottish football pyramid.Ā  The Board of Stenhousemuir Football Club would like to ensure that supporters can see for themselves the full proposals that have been issued, hear what the club believes are the positives and negatives, and provide their own feedback, views and opinions.

All Stenhousemuir supporters are welcome to attend and participate.

Ā 

I'm just back in from this evening's forum between the Stenhousemuir FC board and supporters. The Conference League proposal is nothing more than a joke, something that's been written up on the back of a fag packet, and it's appears even more desperate and pathetic when every step of it is broken down. It's supposed to benefit Scottish football but even if you're taking it on good faith, it still relies on intangibles and anecdotal evidence to back up its big selling points. It lacks serious analysis and seems to be a solution in search of a problem. Let's have it, it's really designed to benefit Rangers, Celtic and other big clubs daft enough to get involved. The division sounds terrible and I'd be mortified if I ever had to watch Stenny compete in a competition as shabby as this. Chuck in the fact it'sĀ anotherĀ buffer between clubs in the Highland and Lowland Leagues and below from getting into the SPFL and it's a hopeless proposition.

I'm confident the Stenhousemuir board will do the right thing and vote this down on Tuesday next week.

As said above the full thing is a complete farce. They do not even have the fourth SPL team at this time. The cost implications will be too much for some SPL teams and will cast it in doubt.

Definitely designed for the Bigot Bros and hopefully all clubs will throw this in the bin. Vote this through and within 5 years you will have B teams in League 2.

What is George Craig's association with us?

10 hours ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

I'm just back in from this evening's forum between the Stenhousemuir FC board and supporters. The Conference League proposal is nothing more than a joke, something that's been written up on the back of a fag packet, and it's appears even more desperate and pathetic when every step of it is broken down. It's supposed to benefit Scottish football but even if you're taking it on good faith, it still relies on intangibles and anecdotal evidence to back up its big selling points. It lacks serious analysis and seems to be a solution in search of a problem. Let's have it, it's really designed to benefit Rangers, Celtic and other big clubs daft enough to get involved. The division sounds terrible and I'd be mortified if I ever had to watch Stenny compete in a competition as shabby as this. Chuck in the fact it'sĀ anotherĀ buffer between clubs in the Highland and Lowland Leagues and below from getting into the SPFL and it's a hopeless proposition.

I'm confident the Stenhousemuir board will do the right thing and vote this down on Tuesday next week.

Never mind all of that, I hope that older Stenhousemuir people will recall that in the summer of 1964 Rangers attempted to have them, Albion Rovers, Berwick, Brechin and Stranraer removed from the Scottish League on the basis that they were the poorest supported clubs.

Four years later the idea was finally canned with the support of Airdrie, Hamilton and ironically Celtic, who obviously had a more principled Board of Directors back then.

But here we are, in the age of greed when the democratic principle of 'one club, one team' doesn't seem to matter.Ā  I'm sure you'll vote the right way šŸ˜‰

On my TV in recent weeks has been a Youth Cup final featuring the gruesome twosome and then numerous games between their womenā€™s teams. What Scottish football really doesnā€™t need is another form of this brand infiltrating the lower leagues. One of the huge attractions of the lower leagues is that it is generally free of their toxicity, so it goes without saying that they can stick the B teams where the sun doesnā€™t shine.Ā 

Stenhousemuir FC will be voting noĀ for the Conference League.

Great news all round. I'm pleased the club invited supporters to discuss the proposition and I'm pleased they've listened to how we feel about it.

Will it conclusively end discussions about colt teams? No, but we live to fight another day.

"Hurricane" Dan Higgins has reunited with Stephen Swift at Broomhill.

I'm unsure if he was any good or not. His first start for the club - a 3-0 defeat at Stirling Albion where he cost us a goal before being sent off, all within the first four minutes - was the most hapless performance I've ever seen from a player but there were times he looked capable enough. If he can stay fit he might do his new side a decent turn.