Stenhousemuir FC - The Warriors - The 2023/24 Thread

2 hours ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

We've made our first signing of the summer: Matty Aitken has joined from Forfar Athletic.

Not sure what to make of this. I liked Aitken at Albion Rovers and thought he was a very useful lower-league striker, but he looked mince at Forfar and I'm sure their supporters will be delighted to see the back of him.

Nevertheless, let's hope he can reprise his form from his spell at Cliftonhill.

Unlucky 

I thought Aitken was decent first season back with us, he ended up in double figures for goals and assists and did a lot of clever stuff in and around the box. This season his form fell off a cliff and I'm glad he's away. Naysmith saying he'll give you a "physical presence" is bizarre to say the least.

Edited by Jupiter Jazz

2 hours ago, Old Fashioned Stramash said:

Got to be hopeful that he can find form but what an underwhelming signing. He was dug meat against us last season. 

Not what your manager says 

50 minutes ago, Am Featha *****h Nan Clach said:

If he's a back up fine, if he's been signed as a first choice, it's a very poor signing. 

Your manager says he’s signed him because Matty Yates will accompany him well. 

he really is pish . Gutless would be the word 

As always I'll judge a player in the maroon and not the word of yokels on a football forum.

He was excellent at Albion and poor at Forfar. Part time players in general will do some clubs a turn and rotten at others.

Hopefully Matty can do us a turn. 

35 minutes ago, Neilly said:

As always I'll judge a player in the maroon and not the word of yokels on a football forum.

He was excellent at Albion and poor at Forfar. Part time players in general will do some clubs a turn and rotten at others.

Hopefully Matty can do us a turn. 

Yokels who have watched him for most of his playing career . 

Here's how the squad is shaping with our two recent additions:

GOALKEEPERS
Curtis Lyle

DEFENDERS
Nicky Jamieson

MIDFIELDERS
Mikey Anderson
Adam Brown
Mikey Miller
Nat Wedderburn

FORWARDS
Matty Aitken (signed from Forfar Athletic)
Euan O'Reilly
Ross Taylor (signed from Auchinleck Talbot)
Matty Yates

There are strong rumours we're bringing in some boys from the Lowland League very shortly - watch this space!

Edited by Francesc Fabregas

Yeah, Paddy Martin is someone I'd be looking for us to bring in. I was really impressed with him at Bonnyrigg Rose last season and the difference he made to their team was obvious.

If Curtis Lyle is our #1 next season, that's it, I won't be back (for a week).

I still would like to see us bring in loan goalkeeper, Urminsky was a massive improvement when he came in. It couldn't have got worse that season to be fair. I know it could go either way with loans but the difference in their level of training could be key. We need that reassurance, I feel. 

However, Martin has developed a lot since he was with us and I'd feel confident with him as our number 1. Interested to see how Lyle would react to being second choice and whether the competition for the place will push him on or not. 

50 minutes ago, Old Fashioned Stramash said:

I still would like to see us bring in loan goalkeeper, Urminsky was a massive improvement when he came in. It couldn't have got worse that season to be fair. I know it could go either way with loans but the difference in their level of training could be key. We need that reassurance, I feel. 

However, Martin has developed a lot since he was with us and I'd feel confident with him as our number 1. Interested to see how Lyle would react to being second choice and whether the competition for the place will push him on or not. 

What difference does it make if our goalkeeper's signed permanently or signs on loan?

7 hours ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

What difference does it make if our goalkeeper's signed permanently or signs on loan?

It doesn't.

Just think we're more likely to pick up a better keeper in the loan market. Look at our previous goalie signings...I think the expected standard can be higher of the loan player too, especially if they came from a Premier league club.

The impact Urminsky had when he came in and the relief/assurance it gave to our defence, knowing that a decent keeper was there and not a bombscare. If we could get a gem like Schwake was for Edinburgh, it could make our season. Wishful thinking.