Stenhousemuir FC - The Warriors - The 2023/24 Thread

Berry looked like he might have been a bit of a prospect for us at one point, however we were very strong in midfield and then we went up to the Championship, he just wasn’t quite going to break through with us. He’s a lovely guy though, really hope he does well back in the SPFL with you.

Edited by Enigma

We signed 2 from Stirling Uni Blair Lyons and Craig Brown both very good player's.We also signed Aidan Quinn from HWU you might have seen him for East Fife at the tail end of the season,another good player and we have just signed another guy can't remember his name also from HWU a few weeks ago....The Mo going Uni daft!

8 minutes ago, mo83 said:

We signed 2 from Stirling Uni Blair Lyons and Craig Brown both very good player's.We also signed Aidan Quinn from HWU you might have seen him for East Fife at the tail end of the season,another good player and we have just signed another guy can't remember his name also from HWU a few weeks ago....The Mo going Uni daft!

More degrees than a thermometer!

It looks like we’re signing Ross Meechan going from the teaser tweet this morning.

It’s been a really interesting close season so far and I’m glad we’re doing business early.  A top keeper, a few signings who I’m intrigued by and now a solid and proven right back.  Still some way to go but I’m please with what we’ve done so far.

56 minutes ago, Nigel Blackwell said:

Not all that enthused about this signing. Good guy, and it will be good to see him back, but never convinced about players returning, particularly after they were successful first time around. 

I'd be amazed if Ross wasn't one of the best right backs in the league next season. 

I think Ross Meechan will be a smashing piece of business for the Warriors. We all know how good he is - he's very fit, rarely absent, defends well, resilient, can operate all across the back four (and in midfield if need be), supremely professional - but I think we're getting a better player than the one who left us in 2018, even if he has spent the past season in the West of Scotland League with Darvel. Jim Weir, who signed Meechan at Forfar Athletic, described him as "pound for pound the best player I'll ever sign", while Mick Kennedy has also spoken glowingly of him. I think he'll be installed as our captain.

Meechan's one of my all-time favourite Stenny players. I remember when he first joined us under Scott Booth in 2014, where he looked reckless and out of his depth, but he grew as the season went on and was a stand-out as we won the play-offs to stay in League 1. I was really impressed with his attitude and how he dealt with adversity - I'll admit I lost my temper with some of his performances and wanted him out of the team, but ended up being bowled over by his application and determination. His final act in his first spell was to get us promoted back to the third tier. On top of that, he's a lovely guy too and someone who holds his time at our club in high regard.

Adam Corbett is a better footballer with a higher ceiling, but Meechan's more reliable and never lets down his team. I'm really looking forward to seeing him back in action.

Just in case anyone's lost count:

GOALKEEPERS
Darren Jamieson (signed from Kelty Hearts)
Curtis Lyle

DEFENDERS
Nicky Jamieson
Jordan Lowdon
Ross Meechan (signed from Darvel)

MIDFIELDERS
Mikey Anderson
James Berry (signed from the University of Stirling)
Adam Brown
Jordan Kirkpatrick (signed from Darvel)
Mikey Miller
Nat Wedderburn

FORWARDS
Matty Aitken (signed from Forfar Athletic)
Euan O'Reilly
Ross Taylor (signed from Auchinleck Talbot)
Matty Yates

Meechan gives us a different option at right back and is arguably better defensively than Corbett was but more limited going forward, fair assumption? Proven at this level and should be another solid signing.

I'm liking the look of how the team is shaping up and how quickly we are doing our business. Got to give more credit to the club, they're addressing the key issues well. 

59 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

Just in case anyone's lost count:

GOALKEEPERS
Darren Jamieson (signed from Kelty Hearts)
Curtis Lyle

DEFENDERS
Nicky Jamieson
Jordan Lowdon
Ross Meechan (signed from Darvel)

MIDFIELDERS
Mikey Anderson
James Berry (signed from the University of Stirling)
Adam Brown
Jordan Kirkpatrick (signed from Darvel)
Mikey Miller
Nat Wedderburn

FORWARDS
Matty Aitken (signed from Forfar Athletic)
Euan O'Reilly
Ross Taylor (signed from Auchinleck Talbot)
Matty Yates

Looks to be shaping up fairly well. I've heard James Berry is a lovely footballer. One of the few bonuses re: knowing where you're playing the following season is being able to do business early. Quite jealous as Clyde don't even have a manager installed at this point.

2 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

Good early business there from the warriors. I'm sure I was saying the same thing 12 months ago, tbf.

I thought we'd done some good business last season by retaining our better players from the previous year but our transfer business wasn't too great - other than Matty Yates, I'm not sure many (any?) of our summer recruits did the business expected from them and have all moved on. It feels a bit different this time around - 12 months ago we signed Conor Brennan, this time we've brought in Darren Jamieson, a big step up in quality.

There are some players I'm not too sure about (Matty Aitken, Jordan Kirkpatrick) but I'm very pleased and very intrigued with the others.

Here's to narrowly missing out on the play-offs on the penultimate weekend once again!

1 hour ago, BridiesHereBridiesThere said:

It’ll be between Meechs and Nditi

People forget how utterly rotten Meechan was in his final season at SP. Piss poor captain too 

42 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

Good early business there from the warriors. I'm sure I was saying the same thing 12 months ago, tbf.

last 2 seasons its felt like we have been well prepared and got our business done early so we are doing something right but swift's transfer choices last time left us without a right winger to pair with orielly and without pace in the midfield. i did get carried awat last preseason and fully expect to do the same this one 😆

55 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

I thought we'd done some good business last season by retaining our better players from the previous year but our transfer business wasn't too great - other than Matty Yates, I'm not sure many (any?) of our summer recruits did the business expected from them and have all moved on. It feels a bit different this time around - 12 months ago we signed Conor Brennan, this time we've brought in Darren Jamieson, a big step up in quality.

There are some players I'm not too sure about (Matty Aitken, Jordan Kirkpatrick) but I'm very pleased and very intrigued with the others.

Here's to narrowly missing out on the play-offs on the penultimate weekend once again!

Yeah, I had Stenny as favourites based on Bryson's legs holding out and Sewell being able to make the step up effectively and both ended up being duds.  These signings look a bit more sensible.