Stenhousemuir FC - The Warriors - The 2023/24 Thread

At least we ended a disappointing season with a win. Yates gets goals back playing where he should be.

Shame we couldn't get the wins the previous weekends, season feels like a waste.

The team and board need to set out clear aspirations and actually look to achieve them. We need to get our recruitment right, do better in the loan market and find players that fit Naysmith's tactics/shape.

That was a decent way to finish up a garbage season. A good laugh. Something for all the family. A bit Soccer Aid-y. Matty Yates took both his goals very well, Mikey Anderson had a good game, Ross Forbes almost scored from 40 yards, and it was nice to see Conor Brennan playing for the final 10 minutes after missing four months through injury. I'm not sure how seriously Annan Athletic were taking it - they finished up with Wullie Gibson playing in central defence (?) - but nevertheless, I think everyone who watched the game will have enjoyed themselves.

Nicky Jamieson has agreed terms for next season. According to the player, this was done weeks ago but hasn't been announced by the club. Anyone who hasn't signed up for the new year will meet with the manager next week to learn their fate.

Jamieson is a solid centre half at this level so, yes, good news.

But I’m not sure I want too many more of this squad resigned. They’ve been such a let down this season (and last season, for some of them) that other than Jamieson and Yates I think I’d be quite happy if none of them were here next season. Maybe Corbett as well. 

Something doesn’t work with that squad. I guess that’s the challenge for Naysmith. He needs to build a team. He can’t really start from scratch so it’s a case of identifying those players he trusts and building around them. Problem is I’m not sure who he can trust. As a team they are so weak. If they ever score first you just know 9 times out of 10, they are not going to score the next goal. How many of our victories were single goal wins? They were incapable of dominating teams; putting them under pressure. Making the goalies make saves. Having shots, creating chances. It was just awful.

I think this season, other than the covid season, has been the worst, partly because it should have been so much better. We finished 8 points from the bottom of the league. Almost every week, no sooner had I left the ground and the game had gone from my memory bank. There were no highlights. 

Unless someone can correct me, here's the list of players signed up for next season:

GOALKEEPERS
Curtis Lyle

DEFENDERS
Nicky Jamieson (not officially announced)

MIDFIELDERS
Adam Brown
Mikey Miller
Nat Wedderburn

FORWARDS
Euan O'Reilly
Matty Yates

I've heard from a couple of people that Michael Anderson has also agreed terms (although, like Jamieson, this hasn't been officially announced yet). From the rest of the squad, the only other player I'd like us to retain is Adam Corbett - I appreciate he's a little injury prone but I do think he's got the ability to make it as a high-calibre full-back with Stenhousemuir. The rest can leave with my best wishes. They're generally a likeable group of players but we've had two years of failure so moving on the goalkeepers, Sean Crighton and Ross Forbes means we can start again and reinvest their wages elsewhere. I've no doubt Gary Naysmith has been thinking about the new campaign for months and I'm looking forward to seeing what he does.

Another season ends in basically abject failure.  I think everyone had high hopes that this would be our year given that there appeared to be no other outstanding squad but again we fail.  Much of the blame must lie with Swift and the fact that the board stuck with him for too long.  In addition many of the players need to take a long hard look at themselves and what they actually contributed.

Big season ahead for Gary Naysmith as it will be his team.  Priorities must be a half decent goalkeeper and a decent centre half to play alongside Jamieson.  No doubt GN will have his eyes on a few targets so we will see what we get.

I'm surprised Anderson has been offered a new contract. He's good at breaking up play and regaining the ball but the rest of his game is lacking, especially his distribution and crossing. Think he can restrict our play. 

I'd keep Corbett, is quite versatile and a decent all rounder. 

Wonder if we'll make an attempt to get Yeats back for another season? 

Stenhousemuir have provided an update on the squad as we head towards the 2023/24 season:

Conor Brennan, Jay Cantley, Adam Corbett, Sean Crighton, Ross Forbes, Dan Higgins and Tam Orr  are all leaving the club (and Orr has already agreed terms with Stranraer).

The loan players - Jacob Blaney, Gavin Reilly, Kian Speirs and Callum Yeats - have all returned to their parent clubs.

The club have announced contract extensions for Mikey Anderson and Nicky Jamieson, and they're in discussions about a new deal with Jordan Lowden, for some reason.

I wish the outgoing players well - they all seem like good lads and I've no doubt they'll get new teams very soon. I'm especially sorry to see Adam Corbett moving on. He was my favourite player in the team and someone I thought had a high ceiling. I'm sure he'll move on elsewhere and be a big success. I hope to see him and his family back at Ochilview soon.

I'm also surprised to see us offer Jordan Lowden a contract. He did nothing in his short time with us to suggest he's worth pursuing.

Nevertheless, we go again.

So here's how the squad is shaping up for 2023/24:

GOALKEEPERS
Curtis Lyle

DEFENDERS
Nicky Jamieson

MIDFIELDERS
Mikey Anderson
Adam Brown
Mikey Miller
Nat Wedderburn

FORWARDS
Euan O'Reilly
Matty Yates

There's a lot of work to be done. We need a new, undisputed first-choice goalkeeper, about five defenders, legs in the middle of the park, an attacker to play wide right, and two forwards.

Fair play to Gary Naysmith and his team but they certainly have their work cut out for them.

• Francesc Fabregas changed the title to Stenhousemuir FC - The Warriors - The 2023/24 Thread

I am disappointed that Corbett is away from that bunch, but there is no doubt a rebuild is required. I am a little surprised to see Brown and Miller being retained. Good players but they’ve been key parts of what has been an underperforming squad for two seasons now.

Looking forward to hearing who our new recruits are, as ever!

9 minutes ago, Nigel Blackwell said:

I am disappointed that Corbett is away from that bunch, but there is no doubt a rebuild is required. I am a little surprised to see Brown and Miller being retained. Good players but they’ve been key parts of what has been an underperforming squad for two seasons now.

Looking forward to hearing who our new recruits are, as ever!

Mikey Miller signed a two-year deal last summer and Adam Brown agreed a new contract months ago, so they were always going to be sticking around. I do agree with your overall point though - they're good players who have only flickered over the latter part of the season.

2 hours ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

I'm also surprised to see us offer Jordan Lowden a contract. He did nothing in his short time with us to suggest he's worth pursuing.

Quite disappointing to see this.

The season BF was putting together what looked like a steesher of a Clyde squad (the one where we ended up finishing 9th, yikes!), he signed Jordan Lowdon and he looked like an absolutely superb player for the first couple of games. He done his cruciate in the August, missed the whole season and doesn't seem to have been able to claw things back. A real shame.

We've made our first signing of the summer: Matty Aitken has joined from Forfar Athletic.

Not sure what to make of this. I liked Aitken at Albion Rovers and thought he was a very useful lower-league striker, but he looked mince at Forfar and I'm sure their supporters will be delighted to see the back of him.

Nevertheless, let's hope he can reprise his form from his spell at Cliftonhill.

1 hour ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

We've made our first signing of the summer: Matty Aitken has joined from Forfar Athletic.

Not sure what to make of this. I liked Aitken at Albion Rovers and thought he was a very useful lower-league striker, but he looked mince at Forfar and I'm sure their supporters will be delighted to see the back of him.

Nevertheless, let's hope he can reprise his form from his spell at Cliftonhill.

Hahahahahahahahahahaha

Unlucky lads. I wish you all the best.