Stenhousemuir FC - The Warriors - The 2023/24 Thread

Certainly not the worst player I've seen at Stenhousemuir - he scored one of the best goals I've ever seen in the 3-2 win at Annan Athletic earlier in the year - but his lack of fitness, drive and application badly let him and the team down. As I wrote on the Clyde thread, his unique skillset, coupled with his unwillingness to move, make him such a luxury that it's almost impossible to find a role for him in your team. For all that you gain, you lose so much and I don't think he's quite good enough to build a team around to accommodate him.

Good luck, Clyde! Be prepared to be "annoyed"!

11 hours ago, tamthebam said:

Adrian "The H*nfucker" Sprott has sadly passed away.

Played for Stenny and was in the team that beat Aberdeen 2-0. 

Sad to hear, can just remember seeing him play for us and can remember trying to copy his infamous corners when I was young. RIP. 

No bad pre-season fixtures, another glamorous trip to Cowdenbeath to look forward too. 

Michael Miller has left Stenhousemuir to reunite with Stephen Swift at Broomhill.

https://twitter.com/StenhousemuirFC/status/1668362542329262084

I'm sorry to see Miller moving on. I like him and I think he has something to offer this team but his face doesn't seem to fit anymore. He was terrific when Gary Naysmith took charge of the club In January and was playing with a real fire in his belly, but his performances badly tailed off to the extent he was no longer part of the starting XI. He began to look a little plodding towards the end and playing alongside Nat Wedderburn in the middle of the park made us look and feel slow and clunky. A change of scenery might do him good, although I'm surprised he's dropped into the Lowland League; he's certainly capable of doing a good job in League 2 (and maybe even League 1).

Good luck to him!

An updated squad for the 2023/24 season:

GOALKEEPERS
Darren Jamieson (signed from Kelty Hearts)
Curtis Lyle

DEFENDERS
Gregor Buchanan (signed from Dumbarton)
Nicky Jamieson
Jordan Lowdon
Ross Meechan (signed from Darvel)

MIDFIELDERS
Mikey Anderson
James Berry (signed from the University of Stirling)
Adam Brown
Jordan Kirkpatrick (signed from Darvel)
Nat Wedderburn

FORWARDS
Matty Aitken (signed from Forfar Athletic)
Euan O'Reilly
Ross Taylor (signed from Auchinleck Talbot)
Matty Yates

I reckon we're some defensive cover, a new left-back, a wide player and another striker away from having our team for next season!

1 hour ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

Michael Miller has left Stenhousemuir to reunite with Stephen Swift at Broomhill.

https://twitter.com/StenhousemuirFC/status/1668362542329262084

I'm sorry to see Miller moving on. I like him and I think he has something to offer this team but his face doesn't seem to fit anymore. He was terrific when Gary Naysmith took charge of the club In January and was playing with a real fire in his belly, but his performances badly tailed off to the extent he was no longer part of the starting XI. He began to look a little plodding towards the end and playing alongside Nat Wedderburn in the middle of the park made us look and feel slow and clunky. A change of scenery might do him good, although I'm surprised he's dropped into the Lowland League; he's certainly capable of doing a good job in League 2 (and maybe even League 1).

Good luck to him!

Really surprised and gutted by this, he's way above LL level. No idea why he's went to Broomhill either.

A good player who gave a lot of reassurance, composure and balance to the team. Losing Miller's versatility could be a potential headache for Naysmith.

Regarding the new left back, I think Callum Yeats is without a club? I would gladly have him back in maroon. 

I like Miller but he really went off the boil in the last quarter of the season and was in and out of the team.

He would have been on decent money so this was a no brainer if we can use that money to strengthen the squad in more pressing areas. His versatility could be a miss but he was clearly not going to start the season for us in the starting line up particularly if James Berry is close to being the player we are expecting. The midfield of Nat and Miller is ultimately not going to lead to success at this level as has been proven over two seasons now.

I believe he's been made available from early in the summer but surprised he has ended up going to Broomhill - he's certainly better than that bunch of charlatans.

Good luck to him anyway he always gave his best for the Warriors.

Edited by Neilly

Miller is a really good footballer. First season he was consistently 7 out of 10, but for whatever reason he went off the boil last season and didn’t seem the same player. He could obviously play again at a higher level but for whatever reason he has decided to take this path.

9 hours ago, Old Fashioned Stramash said:

Regarding the new left back, I think Callum Yeats is without a club? I would gladly have him back in maroon. 

Nah, I think we should be looking elsewhere. Callum Yeats is a very likable guy but he's been with us three times now and three times we've achieved nothing. That's not all down to him, obviously, but we need a break from the past couple of seasons.

For the first time since 2006, Stenhousemuir are playing overseas!

The club have announced a pre-season friendly with Jersey Bulls, who are based in St Helier in Jersey, on Friday 28 July.

I hope to be there and I hope to see you there too. It could be an absolute cracker.