Stenhousemuir FC - The Warriors - The 2023/24 Thread

2 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

How did Gavin Reilly fare for you guys in his loan spell at the end of the season?

Not terrible, not amazing, I think it's fair to say. There were times where Gavin Reilly looked like a smashing player and you wondered why he was jobbing in League 2, and there were other times where he looked as bad as everyone else. The tactic of "hit balls over the top and see what happens" didn't really bring out the best of him, so I suppose Gary Naysmith has to take a bit of flak for that. You could never fault Reilly's endeavour though - he'd run and run and run all day long for the team.

2 hours ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

Not terrible, not amazing, I think it's fair to say. There were times where Gavin Reilly looked like a smashing player and you wondered why he was jobbing in League 2, and there were other times where he looked as bad as everyone else. The tactic of "hit balls over the top and see what happens" didn't really bring out the best of him, so I suppose Gary Naysmith has to take a bit of flak for that. You could never fault Reilly's endeavour though - he'd run and run and run all day long for the team.

2 hours ago, Old Fashioned Stramash said:

Thought he was shot shy and lacked confidence in front of goal but as FF said, he puts in the effort. 

Thanks for the feedback folks. That was pretty well my view in the first half of the season - could never fault his effort but the sharpness in front of goal was gone. Shame, he was excellent in his first spell with us and being a local lad we wanted him to do well.

On 16/06/2023 at 11:48, Francesc Fabregas said:

I was hoping the club would have announced details for season tickets for the year ahead by this point, while we're at it.

Still no word - Stenhousemuir FC, please, take my money! I want to watch you next season!

On 16/06/2023 at 11:37, true fan said:

What were they like?

puma?

away shirt colour?

cheers

Both jerseys are adorned with the Warriors tartan on the sides, the second strip is white.

6 hours ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

Still no word - Stenhousemuir FC, please, take my money! I want to watch you next season!

Season tickets are on sale in 'the next few days'. 

1 hour ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

Information for season tickets is here! 

CLICK

Delighted to say I've already signed up for the 2023/24 season and I hope to see you all there.

Brilliant to see us giving out free season tickets to the under 16 and below community players too. Will be buying mine soon 👍

The club have posted an interview with Gary Naysmith on Facebook, of all places (and if the media team are reading this: no-one uses Facebook anymore, please upload videos to YouTube going forward!) It was recorded on Saturday after our first week of pre-season training and it's a reasonably interesting listen, with the manager saying he's looking to bring in three (maybe four) more players before the end the campaign kicks off. He's looking to run with a squad of 18 or 19 players and with 15 signed up already, he's hoping to add quality, but that's apparently proving difficult at the moment; I reckon most League 2 sides are in the same position.

I suppose with Premiership and Championship sides having recently returned from their breaks, they'll have a better idea of who's staying and who's moving on, so maybe we'll pick up some of their cast-offs. We're still short of cover at left-back and we need another striker to work alongside Matty Yates but I'm confident we'll have a solid side in a couple of weeks.

I'll see you in Linlithgow next week!

36 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

The club have posted an interview with Gary Naysmith on Facebook, of all places (and if the media team are reading this: no-one uses Facebook anymore, please upload videos to YouTube going forward!) It was recorded on Saturday after our first week of pre-season training and it's a reasonably interesting listen, with the manager saying he's looking to bring in three (maybe four) more players before the end the campaign kicks off. He's looking to run with a squad of 18 or 19 players and with 15 signed up already, he's hoping to add quality, but that's apparently proving difficult at the moment; I reckon most League 2 sides are in the same position.

I suppose with Premiership and Championship sides having recently returned from their breaks, they'll have a better idea of who's staying and who's moving on, so maybe we'll pick up some of their cast-offs. We're still short of cover at left-back and we need another striker to work alongside Matty Yates but I'm confident we'll have a solid side in a couple of weeks.

I'll see you in Linlithgow next week!

We had issues with logging into the club YouTube account when we planned on posting the interview, which was too long to post on Twitter.

We've got in though and the Interview from Gary was posted on YouTube last night and we will link to it this afternoon. 

I am hoping the players are a first choice left back, back up centre half and a decent quality striker.

From what Naysmith said, it does seem like that those snapped up fairly early on (by all teams) were essentially 'first picks' and it's now scrabbling around to see what else is left. Doesn't bode well for teams who need 6 or 7 (or more) new players

8 minutes ago, Am Featha *****h Nan Clach said:

I am hoping the players are a first choice left back, back up centre half and a decent quality striker.

From what Naysmith said, it does seem like that those snapped up fairly early on (by all teams) were essentially 'first picks' and it's now scrabbling around to see what else is left. Doesn't bode well for teams who need 6 or 7 (or more) new players

This is something I've suspected for a while. There seems to be a really limited number of players kicking about this summer who could be gamechangers at this level, and I reckon teams sitting playing a waiting game are going to be caught with their pants down.

You guys adding Jamieson is one of very few signings I look at across the league and think 'oaft, he's going to improve them a hell of a lot'. Stevie Farrell got a lot of stick for giving a few members of our squad (Ross MacLean especially) extended deals. But there aren't many other signings in the league (so far) that I've looked at and thought they'd be a marked improvement on MacLean.

Of course I could be well off the mark. But, aside from a few gems who'll pop up on loan, I reckon the core squads we see at the moment are going to be what teams are running with. Which really doesn't look too appealing for a good few teams.

8 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

This is something I've suspected for a while. There seems to be a really limited number of players kicking about this summer who could be gamechangers at this level, and I reckon teams sitting playing a waiting game are going to be caught with their pants down.

Agree 100%.

This year it has also been noticeable that outwith Nathan Austin, no team has signed a very good striker 'on paper'. Lots of excellent defenders/ midfielders but a distinct lack of quality up front.

If a team does manage to pull off such a move it could catapult them from also rans to title contenders, more so than it usually would.

50 minutes ago, Am Featha *****h Nan Clach said:

Agree 100%.

This year it has also been noticeable that outwith Nathan Austin, no team has signed a very good striker 'on paper'. Lots of excellent defenders/ midfielders but a distinct lack of quality up front.

If a team does manage to pull off such a move it could catapult them from also rans to title contenders, more so than it usually would.

I suspect it will change (perhaps thanks to Erling Haaland) but I genuinely think out and out strikers died out at youth level a few years ago. I coached a 2001s team years ago and we had nobody who classed themselves as an outright CF. They were all wingers who could play up front, or attacking midfielders. Basically following the Messi/Ronaldo style. Everyone wanted to be like them.

Hopefully Haaland's rise means there will be a nice big quota of battering ram, John Gemmell/Jim Lister style number nines born in about 2010 ready to burst onto the scene in a decade or so!