Dundee United 2015/16 Season

• Replies 12.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So.. Telfer and Souttar have been fat wasters and Murray has been shite - in your own fans eyes - but you'd want to keep them?

Is it purely a numbers thing? Or do you expect to build a half decent squad with them?

Souttar will go and I don't mind that in the slightest. Telfer has been useless but is under contract and might do quite well playing in the Championship. Murray is clearly a very limited footballer but I still think that playing in the right system alongside another striker he might be a useful player to have in the squad (again, at a lower level which is looking more and more likely).

Wonder if there are relegation release clauses in many contracts amongst the first team?

I've wondered that myself. If it's standard practice then yes, otherwise probably not on the asks that a couple of seasons ago no one would have thought relegation was on the cards so no need to include it.

So.. Telfer and Souttar have been fat wasters and Murray has been shite - in your own fans eyes - but you'd want to keep them?

Is it purely a numbers thing? Or do you expect to build a half decent squad with them?

Telfer and Murray have never had a real chance. Think they'd do a decent job in championship

I've wondered that myself. If it's standard practice then yes, otherwise probably not on the asks that a couple of seasons ago no one would have thought relegation was on the cards so no need to include it.

I would hope it is standard practice. Although as you point out we might have been handing out contracts on the assumption we were never in any real danger of being relegated.

One of my biggest concerns, and I have mentioned this before is that despite Thompson and McNamara talking about vision and planning for the last couple of years, the reality is the behind-the-scenes structure has been on the decline (and slowly dismantled) since Levein left. I'm not sure there is anyone at the club with the foresight and planning to restructure our squad, finances and youth setup in time for the Championship next year. We will be in a very, very precarious position come the start of next season if we go down.

The board have been complacent. Thompson has been distracted, and liked the chat he was hearing from McNamara re developing young players and then selling them on. He's given mixu a budget but so far mixus plan A has been a failure.

The club has been making money selling players and the debt has been restructured so the acid test will be whether they will invest in a team for next season, with a long term view in mind. All the chat about budgets being cut etc would suggest not, but that could be a shot across the bows of some players to focus them on getting their act together.

Or is Thompson holding out for a reconstrccuted league of 16, so all that will be required will be a top 4 finish next year?

Assuming we're down next season I'd like to keep McKay (no chance), Murray, Muirhead, Spittal, Fraser & Donaldson. The rest can go.

Undecided on Mixu but signing Gunning and persisting with this unbelievably shite formation doesn't bode well for him. My main worry, as someone has already mentioned, is that I can't see there being anyone at the club even bothering to make plans for next season.

Good laugh being a Utd fan at the moment.

He has also started pre season games and when he has coming on previously it's usually with half hour to go.

He isn't getting 5 minutes here and there. At no point in any of these games has he looked anything other than awful.

Murray is a very limited footballer and will never have much of a career, however your last sentence is a little harsh given his performance last night. I thought he had a decent game given the circumstances and he took his goal well. His headless chicken routine isn't always a bad thing as long as other players are helping out too, and for a spell last night it seemed to be working.

At no point in any of these games has he looked anything other than awful.

Aye, so like everybody else then? :ph34r:

Funny as f**k seeing people slate his ability after that game last night (or after the limited time he has had this season in general), why he is getting singled out when you see how others played/have played, is beyond me.

Funny as f**k seeing people slate his ability after that game last night (or after the limited time he has had this season in general), why he is getting singled out when you see how others played/have played, is beyond me.

He isn't getting singled out at all. The whole team have been awful all season, and he has had limited chances. Now he has had a chance, he's getting the same treatment as everyone else.

We've been talking about him today in the context of playing for us beyond this season (alongside other under contract players) so it isn't a case of him being singled out all of a sudden.

Archived