Still More Good News on Crowds ... (outside Glasgow)

:lol:

For those interested - Clydebank (only partial figures available) also surpassed East Stirlingshire.

That's it, AFAIA.

Makes a change for them overtaking East Stirling instead of taking them over.

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To answer the Saints related queries, we've only had one crowd above 10,000 this century, the day Rangers won the league at McDiarmid in April 2000. Contrast that to sixteen crowds of that size (against five different opponents) in the first decade at the new ground.

The last 20,000 crowd I can find was against Rangers in November 1971. The season before though, we had more (21,500) against Aberdeen at the start of January.

The opposite mistake is to not build enough capacity.

If you're regularly turning people's money away because you've sold out then you've got a problem.

I reckon the ideal capacity would be one that sells out about 5 times a season.

I think United may have made that mistake, i think 16000 was probably needed when the renovations were made.

However, most weeks we do struggle to surpass 7500

I think we had 6 attendances at more than 10800 last season. Which could have easily been more...

Lastly the demise of Dunfermline - who I include as they played in the top tier 3yrs ago - continues with them now dropping well under 3,000.

I assume by demise you are referring to our awful attempts on the field?

Off the field, we've so far sold 1500 season tickets for next season which is up on this time last year, for our third (and hopefully final) season in League One.

I assume by demise you are referring to our awful attempts on the field?

Off the field, we've so far sold 1500 season tickets for next season which is up on this time last year, for our third (and hopefully final) season in League One.

I don't think it's that harsh. Fife flyers sell more tickets than that.

Gary Bollan? Wasn't that wee!

Jim Lauchlan made a sensational clearance off the line to deny Simao in that game.

Yeh Bollan smashed it in from a yard out.. a brilliant day! Saints had loads of players out and a makeshift team but battled for the point. Set us up nicely for the following weekend at home to Dundee, Paul Kane's header and Main's wonder save - over 10000 at that one with folk locked out.

To answer the Saints related queries, we've only had one crowd above 10,000 this century, the day Rangers won the league at McDiarmid in April 2000. Contrast that to sixteen crowds of that size (against five different opponents) in the first decade at the new ground.

The last 20,000 crowd I can find was against Rangers in November 1971. The season before though, we had more (21,500) against Aberdeen at the start of January.

Cheers. It's hard to imagine how packed Muirton must have been with over 20000.. I remember it feeling busy with 8500 in for a cup ties against aberdeen and the Morton quarter final replay.

Saints crowds should continue to be steady in the coming years. I'm not from Perth (#perthshire though obv) but there seems to be a much bigger sense of pride in Saints especially amongst the youth of Perth. Whether that's down to our success, the demise of Rangers, or the better atmosphere that is generated from the stands I'm not sure. Maybe a combination of the three. It's good to see though.

I've always felt anything over half full at McD and you can get a decent atmosphere. Whilst the average is 4600, that's without any really big crowds to pad out the figures a bit, so it's quite a consistent home support for league games. Think the biggest league attendances the past couple of seasons have been 7500 ish.

Think Dunfermlines crowds have been really good considering what they've been served up the past few years. 1500 season tickets is excellent for league one.

Thanks Radders. So it was the last 21k+ crowd, not 20! I didn't realise we got that many as late as the 70's. Thought they would have mainly been pre WW2 days.

Cheers. It's hard to imagine how packed Muirton must have been with over 20000.. I remember it feeling busy with 8500 in for a cup ties against aberdeen and the Morton quarter final replay.

I knew Muirton had hosted a Scottish Cup semi final in the 70's when Aberdeen played KIlmarnock so googled it out of interest and found this - http://www.killiefc.com/Classic%20Matches/031470-Aberdeen%20(Scot%20Cup).htm

- 14 March 1970

- crowd 25812

- As was the case in the early 70's crowd trouble marred the post match, with many from both sets of supporters taking our their frustrations (at not being able to see the game due to the over-crowding) in scuffles outside the ground.

- Originally scheduled to be played at Hampden, the SFA switched the tie to Perth to accommodate Aberdeen's complaints of always having to go down to Glasgow.

- Muirton Park would never again be selected host a Cup Semi.

I don't think they needed the excuse of over crowding for 'scuffles' to break out then!

Interesting to see Aberdeen were complaining about games being in Glasgow even then. The only amazing thing is the SFA must have listened! Changed days indeed.

It's amazing that anyone goes to watch Scottish football at all, particularly in the top flight.

The league title is a foregone conclusion. The tickets are over priced. Kick off times are moved to accommodate TV companies. The same TV companies employ presenters who dismiss our game as an irrelevance.

Every media outlet reinforces the myth that the EPL is football utopia. UK wide coverage means many Scottish viewers are more interested in watching Man Utd, Arsenal, or whoever the f**k else than watching a SPFL highlights package. This gives the broadcasters a mandate to restrict spending on our game, arguing not unreasonably, that they would be paying to entertain Scots football fans twice.

The only game with appeal outside our borders is the grotesque spectacle of the Ugly Sisters consummating the longest running abusive love affair in football.

All my respect goes to the fans who regularly attend the matches. Particularly those in the greater Glasgow area who chose the path less followed. The Dons were an easy choice as I grew up in the 70's/80's. It's great news the attendances are rising at many clubs. My season ticket is renewed and I am looking forward to next season, but there is no doubt our game is right up against it.

I actually feel the more and more the EPL is painted as this "footballing utopia", the more attractive Scottish football becomes.

My contempt for these people who use social occasions to tell you about their latest junket to Old Trafford or Stamford Bridge, whilst giving you a strange look that you're going to go out in 5 degree temperatures to watch us play Kilmarnock, just grows each season.

Do agree though, that the kick-off times we have settled for are generally dreadful - though I do like Friday evening games.

However, the Scottish setup still remains the relatively raw and tribal game I grew up with..............the top part of English football sold its soul long ago, and I'd rather suck out the contents of a spittoon than watch ninety minutes of Man City or Arsenal take on Chelsea.

It's amazing that anyone goes to watch Scottish football at all, particularly in the top flight.

The league title is a foregone conclusion. The tickets are over priced. Kick off times are moved to accommodate TV companies. The same TV companies employ presenters who dismiss our game as an irrelevance.

Every media outlet reinforces the myth that the EPL is football utopia. UK wide coverage means many Scottish viewers are more interested in watching Man Utd, Arsenal, or whoever the f**k else than watching a SPFL highlights package. This gives the broadcasters a mandate to restrict spending on our game, arguing not unreasonably, that they would be paying to entertain Scots football fans twice.

The only game with appeal outside our borders is the grotesque spectacle of the Ugly Sisters consummating the longest running abusive love affair in football.

All my respect goes to the fans who regularly attend the matches. Particularly those in the greater Glasgow area who chose the path less followed. The Dons were an easy choice as I grew up in the 70's/80's. It's great news the attendances are rising at many clubs. My season ticket is renewed and I am looking forward to next season, but there is no doubt our game is right up against it.

Funnily enough, Chelsea won the league in fewer games than Celtic and had been top of the league since August. Celtic only confirmed their title win with three games to spare and even lost the top spot for a few weeks in January. The EPL was much more of a forgone conclusion than our league this season.

Thing is - re Muirton hosting the cup semis in 1970 - we could really do with a ground capable of holding 25-30,000 on the east coast. Last season's league cup semi v Aberdeen in Edinburgh might have been a dismal game from our perspective, but it was a cracking atmosphere compared to the more important Scottish Cup semi at Hampden a few months later. Cheaper and fairer for supporters of east coast clubs, which are tending to do best in cup competitions nowadays.

Thing is - re Muirton hosting the cup semis in 1970 - we could really do with a ground capable of holding 25-30,000 on the east coast. Last season's league cup semi v Aberdeen in Edinburgh might have been a dismal game from our perspective, but it was a cracking atmosphere compared to the more important Scottish Cup semi at Hampden a few months later. Cheaper and fairer for supporters of east coast clubs, which are tending to do best in cup competitions nowadays.

Fully agree with that - the kick-off time helped too, but having to go to Glasgow grounds for semi-finals kills the atmosphere.

I am sure Muirton was selected for a semi final in the early 1980's but the club declined the offer due to the state of the place.

Re a 25,000 East coast venue the only way that's happening is if the Edinburgh or Dundee clubs share a stadium (Both not likely to happen).

Even the new Aberdeen stadium had a proposed capacity of under 20,000. Not that that would be much use unless there was a say Dundee v ICT semi final.

Pssst...Ibrox a few months later!

Indeed though. I've long wanted a 25/30k stadium in the east but of course that would mean the club playing in a half empty ground most of the time. I thought HIbs might have gone to 25k when they rebuilt but sadly no. Maybe Hearts might go for a bigger capacity if they get the new stand given the support their getting.

The solutions quite straight forward though. Build a two tier stand with the bottom tier sunk underground. When it's needed for a semi final just press a button and it raises to pitch level. It's easy. I don't know why it hasn't been done yet!

All semi finals should held in a ground appropriate to that game. The Aberdeen Tynecastle semi was electric with a 16,761 crowd, even if the main stand view was horrific! The Motherwell Hampden semi with 11,920 was shocking though.

I expect few will agree but, as long as the game's live on tv, I'd go as far as selecting a ground that would see as near a full house as possible even if it means some folk not getting in. I'd rather ensure a brilliant atmosphere for the die hards and regulars than kill it to allow for a few more that you'll never at another game again. It would also come over better on tv and probably do more to sell the game than any echoey, partially filled void would.

Pssst...Ibrox a few months later!

Indeed though. I've long wanted a 25/30k stadium in the east but of course that would mean the club playing in a half empty ground most of the time. I thought HIbs might have gone to 25k when they rebuilt but sadly no. Maybe Hearts might go for a bigger capacity if they get the new stand given the support their getting.

The solutions quite straight forward though. Build a two tier stand with the bottom tier sunk underground. When it's needed for a semi final just press a button and it raises to pitch level. It's easy. I don't know why it hasn't been done yet!

All semi finals should held in a ground appropriate to that game. The Aberdeen Tynecastle semi was electric with a 16,761 crowd, even if the main stand view was horrific! The Motherwell Hampden semi with 11,920 was shocking though.

I expect few will agree but, as long as the game's live on tv, I'd go as far as selecting a ground that would see as near a full house as possible even if it means some folk not getting in. I'd rather ensure a brilliant atmosphere for the die hards and regulars than kill it to allow for a few more that you'll never at another game again. It would also come over better on tv and probably do more to sell the game than any echoey, partially filled void would.

Sorry, yes, mixed it up with the even worse semi v Motherwell a couple of years before.

The other advantage of smaller grounds is conversely that the scarcity of tickets can increase a crowd. Knowing you'll get tickets easily encourages you to leave the decision late. If you know they might sell out, you buy tickets first for you and your mates and think about it later.

Archived