Still More Good News on Crowds ... (outside Glasgow)

Back in the "glory" of the SPL in the 1998/99 season Killie were averaging 9000 a game!

To think the second last game of that season saw Killie host St Johnstone in a European decider - 18,000 turned up to that game! You wouldn't even get that for a cup semi final now!

I'm sure it was about 15k.

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Back in the "glory" of the SPL in the 1998/99 season Killie were averaging 9000 a game!

To think the second last game of that season saw Killie host St Johnstone in a European decider - 18,000 turned up to that game! You wouldn't even get that for a cup semi final now!

:(

Jeez.. Our education system helps undermine our domestic football and promotes bigotry. That's ridiculous. You can at least make a case for Spain on a cultural basis. Thanks.

I really am hoping that you're being tongue-in-cheek. I suspect you're not, though.

Of course not. Unless of course the school was doing a 17th century Irish history course and wanted to save money on the ferry fares the field trip would have needed.

Well go on then. Talk us all through how, "Our education system helps undermine our domestic football and promotes bigotry".

If you do have the cajones to try and substantiate this it would make for good reading.

I'd rather you didn't. St Johnstone are never going to get past the first qualifying round of crowdwank competitions.

Whether there are 3,500 or 1,500 Thistle fans, they deserve a lot more respect than those who walk around Perth or Maryhill in Manchester United tops.

Good post.

I'd hate to see Scotland become another Ireland - where the majority of people shun their local teams to follow an English Premier club.

I'd hate to see Scotland become another Ireland - where the majority of people shun their local teams to follow an English Premier club.

The overwhelming number of Scottish fans support Scottish clubs. I don't see this changing soon.

As a sort-of aside I went to both Stockholm and Stavanger a lot on business a couple of years back. Interesting to see, on a Sunday evening flight from Gatwick, the number of Swedes and Norwegians who had been to London with their weans to support English teams.

Stirling Albion's crowds have most likely dropped as well.

:lol:

(Up 25%, btw).

Elgin & Brechin down, though.

No figures available for Orkney FC, Kirkwall.

Was going to say that Stirling doesn't have a Scottish Premiership club but I belatedly noticed HJ had slipped in a HIbs mention so fair enough!

Well go on then. Talk us all through how, "Our education system helps undermine our domestic football and promotes bigotry".

If you do have the cajones to try and substantiate this it would make for good reading.

If I have the cajones. Superb! It's the internet for goodness sake. Still I suppose threatening language is second nature given your club.

It's blatantly obvious what I mean about taking school kids to English games and Ibrox. It doesn't need 'substantiating'. Go and use your deflection tactics on someone gullible enough to fall for them.

Still I suppose threatening language is second nature given your club.

Oh Jesus. Look, what you said was prosaically simple:

"Our education system helps undermine our domestic football and promotes bigotry"

Now either back this up or let me put you down as yet another diddy blowhard.

Oh Jesus. Look, what you said was prosaically simple:

"Our education system helps undermine our domestic football and promotes bigotry"

Now either back this up or let me put you down as yet another diddy blowhard.

More aggression. I bet you stamped your foot as you typed that.

You're right though. It is prosaically simple yet you need it explained. Not surprising really.

Put me down for whatever you want. I couldn't give a toss what a bigot boy thinks.

You're right though. It is prosaically simple yet you need it explained. Not surprising really.

Oh go on. Indulge me. Explain how, "Our education system helps undermine our domestic football and promotes bigotry"

It shouldn't need much effort from you. Just a paragraph or two would be fine

The overwhelming number of Scottish fans support Scottish clubs. I don't see this changing soon.

As a sort-of aside I went to both Stockholm and Stavanger a lot on business a couple of years back. Interesting to see, on a Sunday evening flight from Gatwick, the number of Swedes and Norwegians who had been to London with their weans to support English teams.

Norway is probably between Scotland and Ireland as to the level of league. I'm no expert but my dad lived over there for a few years and he was a regular at both Viking and Sandnes. In his workplace they all had English teams and a few had Norwegian teams, but it was much the same as over here. Pretty much all my pals (other than my AFC mates) support an English team only. They might say they support a Scottish team too but they'll also laugh about how shite they are and not take them seriously. Mabye from down there in Bucks you don't realise this.

Norway is probably between Scotland and Ireland as to the level of league. I'm no expert but my dad lived over there for a few years and he was a regular at both Viking and Sandnes. In his workplace they all had English teams and a few had Norwegian teams, but it was much the same as over here. Pretty much all my pals (other than my AFC mates) support an English team only. They might say they support a Scottish team too but they'll also laugh about how shite they are and not take them seriously. Mabye from down there in Bucks you don't realise this.

Interesting post, chap. Probably the best fish soup I ever had was in Sandnes - I sometimes have to stay there when Stavanger hotels are booked-out.

The bit that especially interests me is when you say, "Pretty much all my pals (other than my AFC mates) support an English team only"

If this is true then it's a new phenomenon. My nephews in Hamilton are 20 and 22. They are Sellick stalwarts and their pals support Rangers, Motherwell and Accies.

I may well be '"Down (here) in Bucks" but the world's a wee place now.

Interesting to put the crowds of the city clubs (outwith Glasgow) into some kind of perspective...

Aberdeen averaged over 13,000 for the first time since 2005 and only the fifth time in the last quarter of a century.

Dundee Utd got over 8,000 for the first time since 2009.

Dundee delivered the highest crowds at Dens since 2004, and only bettered on five occasions since the 1980s.

Hearts, even down in the tier 2!!, averaged over 15,000 for the first time since 2008 and only the fifth time since the 1980s.

Things were more disappointing at Hibs but at least crowds held over the 10,000 mark. Title charge needed next season to combat a slump from missing Hearts and possibly Rangers games.

Sixth: 1989–90, 1997–98, 2005–06, 2006–07, 2007–08 and 2014–15.

Going back slightly further, we were above 15,000 during 1985–86, 1987–88 and 1988–89. Also, our 14,531 average in 1986–87 is our best sub-15,000 figure over the past 30 seasons.

We'll definitely average above 15,000 next year as well, even with every away side limited to two sections at most in the Roseburn.

Interesting post, chap. Probably the best fish soup I ever had was in Sandnes - I sometimes have to stay there when Stavanger hotels are booked-out.

The bit that especially interests me is when you say, "Pretty much all my pals (other than my AFC mates) support an English team only"

If this is true then it's a new phenomenon. My nephews in Hamilton are 20 and 22. They are Sellick stalwarts and their pals support Rangers, Motherwell and Accies.

I may well be '"Down (here) in Bucks" but the world's a wee place now.

I'm 21 and have lived in Aberdeen and Edinburgh all my life. I hang out with a Dundee crowd too due to my flatmate. I'd say I knew two proper Dees and one proper Hibee. The rest are only interested in FIFA and Sky Sports. We've taken them to games (I'll go see anything, I've been to Dundee away games in Dingwall) but they belittle the game, constantly comparing it with down south.

Might be an East Coast problem. On the west you've got the anomaly of the OF. The strength of the rivalry can sustain the support because kids will be forced to choose at school. And the quality is (usually) better, they can see the teams in big euro competition. Winning matters a lot too. Kids love success.

I maintain this is about getting kids in at an early age. Think about how you started supporting. Probably a parent or an uncle. Or at school. Once you're hooked you can't stop!

I'm 21 and have lived in Aberdeen and Edinburgh all my life. I hang out with a Dundee crowd too due to my flatmate. I'd say I knew two proper Dees and one proper Hibee. The rest are only interested in FIFA and Sky Sports. We've taken them to games (I'll go see anything, I've been to Dundee away games in Dingwall) but they belittle the game, constantly comparing it with down south.

Might be an East Coast problem. On the west you've got the anomaly of the OF. The strength of the rivalry can sustain the support because kids will be forced to choose at school. And the quality is (usually) better, they can see the teams in big euro competition. Winning matters a lot too. Kids love success.

I maintain this is about getting kids in at an early age. Think about how you started supporting. Probably a parent or an uncle. Or at school. Once you're hooked you can't stop!

I hate when Scottish EPL fans compare the two leagues...like they'll ever be comparable with the money down south and the massive difference in population. What annoys me more is that the SPFL haven't helped matters by copying the names of their leagues for our new set up, you couldn't make it up!

I hate when Scottish EPL fans compare the two leagues...like they'll ever be comparable with the money down south and the massive difference in population. What annoys me more is that the SPFL haven't helped matters by copying the names of their leagues for our new set up, you couldn't make it up!

I know, you need to separate the two, it's not about the quality for me, it's about seeing my local representatives on a national stage, and going to games where I'll see plenty of pals from Aberdeen. Unfortunately not as many as is like !!

Archived