Still More Good News on Crowds ... (outside Glasgow)

It varies depending on who we are playing, small teams like Thistle 2800, swelling to 3500 for matches against the Dundee clubs!

No I wouldn't say wildly excited about it, I got wildly excited watching us life the Scottish cup and playing in Europe 3 seasons in a row and finishing top 6 again! ;) When was your last buzz supporting thistle, winning the 1st division or the championship? Haha!

Not interested, o.k, I'll tel the 1100 fans we took to Switzerland at the start of the season!

I'm touched your so obsessed with our crowds when thistle were watched by the second fewest number of fans in the league!

You really are making a fool of yourself, please stop, I'm embarrassed for you, haha!

Third fewest, actually. 8)

No Thistle fans last year started mouthing off as if we had some sort of massive support when when our attendances were higher as a result of facing Celtic, Aberdeen, Hearts, Hibs, Dundee United and St Mirren twice at home; on each of those 12 occasions seeing larger away supports than all but about 3 away supports we had through the gates this season.

We're roughly the same as St Johnstone terms of core support right now, although slightly more of a regular support and less of a 'glory hunter' (if it could be called that) element - I'd guess 3,200-3,500 range for just about everyone rather than having certain fans who only turn up for the Dundee clubs or whatever.

But if you like, we can relive the crowdwank in a year when we're visited twice by Celtic and Aberdeen, Hearts return to the top flight and (unfortunately but likely) the zombies are promoted, so we can argue some more about who had the most away fans through the door to swell their attendances.

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Our board has a monumental task at increasing our fan base back to what it should be.

Your crowds from before were fantastic tbf. I'd imagine a 6,000-7,000 average is a realistic short term goal??

You'll probably get that with hearts and rangers back in the league especially if you finish top 6.

Too many flying down to watch Man Utd etc

Definitely. A mate of my auld man is born and bred in Aberdeen, went all the time when things were good in the 80s (long before my birth). I can count on the fingers of one hand the amount of times he's been to watch Aberdeen since I started going in 1998-1999.

When fitba is discussed at social gatherings, he starts talking about "we" and "us", referring to Man United despite never having set foot in Old Trafford. Batshit crazy. And no matter how well Aberdeen are doing just now, he won't bother turning out at Pittodrie.

Personally see no attraction in the EPL. If their games are on on a Sunday and there's nothing else doing, I'll have them on in the background but from what I've seen this season, it has been a total snoozefest.

Contrast that with the Scottish games that I've watched this season (pretty much all the ones on TV), and I've very rarely been bored. The standard may be a bit lower and the games played out in front of less spectators, but it is relatable, enjoyable and entertaining. Supporters can have a bit of banter but at the end go for a drink together, and the players are mainly honest professionals.

Sadly too many Aberdonians prefer to consume their fitba on the TV from England and claim some false fandom.

But if you like, we can relive the crowdwank in a year when we're visited twice by Celtic and Aberdeen, Hearts return to the top flight and (unfortunately but likely) the zombies are promoted, so we can argue some more about who had the most away fans through the door to swell their attendances.

I'd rather you didn't. St Johnstone are never going to get past the first qualifying round of crowdwank competitions.

Whether there are 3,500 or 1,500 Thistle fans, they deserve a lot more respect than those who walk around Perth or Maryhill in Manchester United tops.

Your crowds from before were fantastic tbf. I'd imagine a 6,000-7,000 average is a realistic short term goal??

You'll probably get that with hearts and rangers back in the league especially if you finish top 6.

Back in the "glory" of the SPL in the 1998/99 season Killie were averaging 9000 a game!

To think the second last game of that season saw Killie host St Johnstone in a European decider - 18,000 turned up to that game! You wouldn't even get that for a cup semi final now!

It's amazing that anyone goes to watch Scottish football at all, particularly in the top flight.

The league title is a foregone conclusion. The tickets are over priced. Kick off times are moved to accommodate TV companies. The same TV companies employ presenters who dismiss our game as an irrelevance.

Every media outlet reinforces the myth that the EPL is football utopia. UK wide coverage means many Scottish viewers are more interested in watching Man Utd, Arsenal, or whoever the f**k else than watching a SPFL highlights package. This gives the broadcasters a mandate to restrict spending on our game, arguing not unreasonably, that they would be paying to entertain Scots football fans twice.

The only game with appeal outside our borders is the grotesque spectacle of the Ugly Sisters consummating the longest running abusive love affair in football.

All my respect goes to the fans who regularly attend the matches. Particularly those in the greater Glasgow area who chose the path less followed. The Dons were an easy choice as I grew up in the 70's/80's. It's great news the attendances are rising at many clubs. My season ticket is renewed and I am looking forward to next season, but there is no doubt our game is right up against it.

Back in the "glory" of the SPL in the 1998/99 season Killie were averaging 9000 a game!

To think the second last game of that season saw Killie host St Johnstone in a European decider - 18,000 turned up to that game! You wouldn't even get that for a cup semi final now!

18,000 - mind = blown :lol:

I didn't go see Liverpool-Newcastle at Anfield in my second year at school because we were playing Hearts that day.#respect #amf

Was that an official school trip too?

Interesting to put the crowds of the city clubs (outwith Glasgow) into some kind of perspective...

Aberdeen averaged over 13,000 for the first time since 2005 and only the fifth time in the last quarter of a century.

Dundee Utd got over 8,000 for the first time since 2009.

Dundee delivered the highest crowds at Dens since 2004, and only bettered on five occasions since the 1980s.

Hearts, even down in the tier 2!!, averaged over 15,000 for the first time since 2008 and only the fifth time since the 1980s.

Things were more disappointing at Hibs but at least crowds held over the 10,000 mark. Title charge needed next season to combat a slump from missing Hearts and possibly Rangers games.

18000, I'm genuinely shocked by this!

Yeah. There's been trips to a few EPL and one or two Spanish games . Only Scottish one was a Rangers game,season before they adminned I think.

Jeez.. Our education system helps undermine our domestic football and promotes bigotry. That's ridiculous. You can at least make a case for Spain on a cultural basis. Thanks.

Interesting to put the crowds of the city clubs (outwith Glasgow) into some kind of perspective...

Aberdeen averaged over 13,000 for the first time since 2005 and only the fifth time in the last quarter of a century.

Dundee Utd got over 8,000 for the first time since 2009.

Dundee delivered the highest crowds at Dens since 2004, and only bettered on five occasions since the 1980s.

Hearts, even down in the tier 2!!, averaged over 15,000 for the first time since 2008 and only the fifth time since the 1980s.

Things were more disappointing at Hibs but at least crowds held over the 10,000 mark. Title charge needed next season to combat a slump from missing Hearts and possibly Rangers games.

You've missed out Inverness and Saints.

Jeez.. Our education system helps undermine our domestic football and promotes bigotry. That's ridiculous. You can at least make a case for Spain on a cultural basis. Thanks.

I really am hoping that you're being tongue-in-cheek. I suspect you're not, though.

I hate crowd wanks but am struggling to understand why our average is up 786, we sold 500 additional season tickets yet the increase is down to big away supports.

I really am hoping that you're being tongue-in-cheek. I suspect you're not, though.

Of course not. Unless of course the school was doing a 17th century Irish history course and wanted to save money on the ferry fares the field trip would have needed.

Archived