FIFA officials arrested.

The Yanks say there will be a "second round" of revelations and arrests so hopefully all the details will be in that.

You don't need evidence to know that the Qatar win was bought but surely proof of mass corruption would make their hosting of the tournament a farce.

It's already public knowledge that Nicolas Sarkozy pressurised Platini to change his vote from the USA to Qatar at the last minute as the Qatari's had verbally agreed to buy Sarkozy's favourite team, PSG, and create a new French sports channel.

If they managed to buy a big nation like France's vote you can imagine how easy it would be to coerce some of the smaller countries.

Not that anything will reverse the Qatar farce unfortunately but surely Sarkozy telling Platini to change his vote is political interference, something FIFA are strongly against. They should be taking action against France but wont of course.

Not that anything will reverse the Qatar farce unfortunately but surely Sarkozy telling Platini to change his vote is political interference, something FIFA are strongly against. They should be taking action against France but wont of course.

The thing that gets me is the fact that this news is almost 3 years old yet the English FA backed Platini as the man to replace Blatter.

• 3 weeks later...

Fifa sick general Secretary Jerome Valcke.

Is he a BEAST as well as a corrupt b*stard?

I read the BBC article on his sacking (clickety-click), and very little of it surprised me. Except this bit:

He joined the organisation in 2003 as director of marketing and TV, but was dismissed in 2006 over a scandal involving its long-time sponsorship partner Mastercard.

He was found to have negotiated with Mastercard's rival Visa in violation of the former company's right of first negotiation, which cost Fifa $90m (£61.3m) in a settlement.

So he cost them $90m in a legal settlement with a massive corporation, they sacked him, and they didn't think this was an issue when he applied for another gig? :blink:

• 1 month later...

I realise this is an old post, but what justifiction would FIFA have for taking action against France? Neither Platini nor Sarkozy are representatives of the French FA.

I realise this is an old post, but what justifiction would FIFA have for taking action against France? Neither Platini nor Sarkozy are representatives of the French FA.

You would do well as a Blazer my son, go forth and be wealthy.

• 3 months later...

Serious money these lads awarded themselves!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36445879

Fifa has been under intense scrutiny since the investigations began last year

Former high-ranking Fifa officials Sepp Blatter, Jerome Valcke and Markus Kattner awarded themselves pay rises and bonuses worth $80m (£55m) over five years, say Fifa lawyers.

Football's governing body revealed the contracts of ex-president Blatter, fired ex-secretary general Valcke and sacked former finance director Kattner one day after a Swiss police raid.

Its lawyers said there was evidence that the trio made "a coordinated effort" to "enrich themselves" between 2011 and 2015.

Documents and electronic data were seized during Thursday's operation, which relates to investigations into Blatter and Valcke.

Suspected of criminal mismanagement of Fifa money, Blatter and Valcke were banned for six and 12 years respectively by the governing body's ethics committee in February. Both deny wrongdoing.

A statement for the Office of the Attorney General of Switzerland (OAG), which carried out the investigations, read: "Documents and electronic data were seized and will now be examined to determine their relevance to the ongoing proceedings."

Fifa said the evidence uncovered by its own internal investigation would be shared with the Swiss Attorney General's office and the US Department of Justice.

Blatter's long-time advisor and spokesman Klaus Stoehlker told BBC Sport he would be ending their professional relationship, adding: "The Fifa volcano is exploding now."

Fifa has been in turmoil since May 2015, when a US investigation exposed widespread corruption at the top of the organisation.

Blatter's long-time advisor and spokesman Klaus Stoehlker told BBC Sport he would be ending their professional relationship, adding: "The Fifa volcano is exploding now."

Roughly translates as "I'm getting the f*ck out of here before they find anything on me".

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Lurkst said:

For the want of a more appropriate thread (although Infantino's comments are probably worthy of arrest!)...

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/jan/26/fifa-gianni-infantino-biennial-world-cup-could-save-african-migrants-from-death-in-the-sea

Jesus wept. 

“appear to have been misinterpreted and taken out of context”.
Resorting to using both of the ultimate last resort excuses fired out by desperate straw clutchers in one sentence shows how much he's trying to squirm his way out of it.