St.Mirren 2015/2016 thread

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't think he even assisted never mind scored a goal for Motherwell and perhaps those limitations were why he was released by Baraclough.

He set up Higginbotham's worldly against Hibs ,probably the furthest up the pitch I've ever seen him though .

Welcome aboard!

Another central midfielder though...? Would have said that was the one position that didn't need strengthening.

Oh well. He's played Europa League and featured regularly for the team that's been the second best in Scotland for two out the last three seasons, so I'm sure he will be decent in the Championship.

According to Murray there will now be 4 or 5 more signings, and we still have no left back, left winger, right winger or sub goalie. People still convinced we are going to sign another out and out striker...?

Yes. Absolutely. I'll even have one of your famous charity bets on it, although I can see the loser trying to wriggle out of it if it ends up being another Gow type with me trying to claim he's a striker and you trying to claim he's a midfielder :lol:

According to Murray there will now be 4 or 5 more signings, and we still have no left back, left winger, right winger or sub goalie. People still convinced we are going to sign another out and out striker...?

Yep. We can't and simply won't go with what we have. You even used a player the other day in the form of Sadlier to illustrate how many options we have in the final third and he's also gone. There's no chance we won't be signing another out and out centre forward.

The only striker options we have are Thompson and at a push Gow. So yes, we will sign another forward. The fact that we were in for Clarkson proves that we are looking for one.

What position won't be signing then... Left back, centre back, right winger, left winger and sub goalie.

That's five positions that urgently need filled, what one you think will Murray abandon in favour of another forward..?

I'm assuming Reilly will get a deal now Sadlier left incidentally.

We might not need a centre half, it all depends on where IM plans on playing Naismith/Kelly/Goodwin, who are all capable of playing in that position alongside Jack Baird.

What position won't be signing then... Left back, centre back, right winger, left winger and sub goalie.

That's five positions that urgently need filled, what one you think will Murray abandon in favour of another forward..?

Well, he could always utilise the loan market to his advantage. I hear it's a thing nowadays.

What makes you think we'll need a left back anyway? It looks like he may be going 3-5-2.

For what it's worth I think two of the signings we will make will be Carey and Barron. We will also sign an experienced goalie as a player/coach and Reilly.

That will leave room for one more signing, and that signing would have to be someone that could play wide right surely?

Well, he could always utilise the loan market to his advantage. I hear it's a thing nowadays.

What makes you think we'll need a left back anyway? It looks like he may be going 3-5-2.

If we go 3-5-2, then the Carey rumour would make sense. I know he's not signing as it stands, but having him and Naismith as wing backs would probably get the best out of both of them.

The left winger & right winger positions could be covered by one versatile player likewise, the left back/centre back. I reckon Murray sees Goodwin as a centre half with these all these midfielders he is bringing in.

I don't see a place for Reilly unless he is the planned striker, despite looking better in midfield last season. If we don't sign another striker then we're asking for trouble. It's an absolute must. Gow is not the answer for up front, his goals to games ratio shows that.

Well surely he was counting loan signings in what he was saying? They aren't free.

If it is 3-5-2 we need a LWB (Carey hopefully) and another centre back.

The left winger & right winger positions could be covered by one versatile player likewise, the left back/centre back. I reckon Murray sees Goodwin as a centre half with these all these midfielders he is bringing in.

I don't see a place for Reilly unless he is the planned striker, despite looking better in midfield last season. If we don't sign another striker then we're asking for trouble. It's an absolute must. Gow is not the answer for up front, his goals to games ratio shows that.

Left and right wingers covered by one player...? What, like at the same time?

If we don't sign a striker then that's just asking for trouble. Going into a season with a 36 year old striker (with recent injury problems) and a 32 year old attacking midfielder/forward (with injury problems) is just mental.

If we don't sign a striker then that's just asking for trouble. Going into a season with a 36 year old striker (with recent injury problems) and a 32 year old attacking midfielder/forward (with injury problems) is just mental.

I said at the time we shouldn't have signed Gow. Instead of him we should have signed a striker that could have provided Thommo with some real competition.

But we are clearly looking to run with a senior squad of around 19. Which will be about the same as our peers in this division, there's just not room

in the squad or indeed budget for another out and out striker.

Well surely he was counting loan signings in what he was saying? They aren't free.

If it is 3-5-2 we need a LWB (Carey hopefully) and another centre back.

Then we won't need a left or right winger. Carey and Naismith will be our wing backs.

Crisis solved.

Archived