St.Mirren 2015/2016 thread

Then we won't need a left or right winger. Carey and Naismith will be our wing backs.

Crisis solved.

It just means we need another centre half instead of a right midfielder.

Width is going to be key to us this season. Thommo has never been a striker who runs in behind or makes goals for himself. Nearly all his goals come from good deliveries into the box which he gets on the end of and finishes first time.

At the moment we really have no wide attacking players in the squad at all. We have obviously lost Dayton and Wylde since the end of last season It's imperative we replace them both with as good quality as we can possibly afford.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well surely he was counting loan signings in what he was saying? They aren't free.

If it is 3-5-2 we need a LWB (Carey hopefully) and another centre back.

It's highly likely that the 'payment' for these loan signings will be in the form of us letting Celtic use our pitch for pre-season friendlies.

Murray said he was looking for another five or six. He's also made comments that suggest he's going with a back four (looking for fullbacks to get forward, playing Kelly as the left of the two centre halves). Seems obvious to me what you do - and it doesn't involve signing Reilly or Barron.

Carswell is one of your six, a goalie is another. That leaves you with four. Sign a striker, sign someone like Carey who can play leftback and left mid, sign someone like Gary Miller who can play rightback and centre-half and then sign a right winger. Morgan and McLear can play wide.

Problem solved

Murray said he was looking for another five or six. He's also made comments that suggest he's going with a back four (looking for fullbacks to get forward, playing Kelly as the left of the two centre halves). Seems obvious to me what you do - and it doesn't involve signing Reilly or Barron.

Carswell is one of your six, a goalie is another. That leaves you with four. Sign a striker, sign someone like Carey who can play leftback and left mid, sign someone like Gary Miller who can play rightback and centre-half and then sign a right winger. Morgan and McLear can play wide.

Problem solved

Well if we are playing 4-4-2 and Kelly is one of the centre halves and we sign Carey.... Who we playing at either left back or left mid (whatever Carey isn't playing)?.

Well if we are playing 4-4-2 and Kelly is one of the centre halves and we sign Carey.... Who we playing at either left back or left mid (whatever Carey isn't playing)?.

Could be a narrow midfield diamond. Or more like a 4-2-3-1.

I don't necessarily agree, but very few teams play with two out-and-out wingers now.

Morgan. Heard he's more of a winger than a striker, seemed to have a good bit of pace on him when I saw him against Motherwell. Failing that you could even stick Gow on the wing or, as Coventry Saint says, we don't go with out and out wingers and have a 4-1-3-2 or some such.

Morgan. Heard he's more of a winger than a striker, seemed to have a good bit of pace on him when I saw him against Motherwell. Failing that you could even stick Gow on the wing or, as Coventry Saint says, we don't go with out and out wingers and have a 4-1-3-2 or some such.

Well there's the issue there.

You're essentially asking a player who has 1 senior start to his name to start the season as first choice.

Personally I would hope Murray wouldn't do that and I hope he signs two left sided players if he's planning to go 4-4-2 with Kelly at centre back.

Barron has experience of left back, failing him then someone similar, aswell as Carey.

And as I've said I feel we need width. Thompson won't get much joy if we are going to be giving him balls through the middle to work with.

Well there's the issue there.

You're essentially asking a player who has 1 senior start to his name to start the season as first choice.

Personally I would hope Murray wouldn't do that and I hope he signs two left sided players if he's planning to go 4-4-2 with Kelly at centre back.

Barron has experience of left back, failing him then someone similar, aswell as Carey.

And as I've said I feel we need width. Thompson won't get much joy if we are going to be giving him balls through the middle to work with.

What's the cross over point between a problem and acceptable?Jack Baird has seven professional starts and looks like he could be first choice. Mallan had one or two before his wonder goal.

I have no problem with Morgan getting a shot - it's far less ridiculous than bringing back Barron.

What's the cross over point between a problem and acceptable?Jack Baird has seven professional starts and looks like he could be first choice. Mallan had one or two before his wonder goal.

I have no problem with Morgan getting a shot - it's far less ridiculous than bringing back Barron.

I'd much rather we weren't starting the season with either Baird or Morgan as first choice to be honest, and I hope Murray feels the same. That's why I'm hoping his priority will be to sign enough experienced pros to stop that happening, whether that's Barron or someone else is beside the point.

These young players will get their chance throughout the season from the bench and when injuries and suspensions kick in. If they're good enough they will keep their place, as Mallan did. Giving them a shot of being good enough is one thing, relying on them being good enough is another.

Could be a narrow midfield diamond. Or more like a 4-2-3-1.

I don't necessarily agree, but very few teams play with two out-and-out wingers now.

A narrow diamond midfield was something Murray used a lot last season too, even though we had two out and out wingers.

I said at the time we shouldn't have signed Gow. Instead of him we should have signed a striker that could have provided Thommo with some real competition.

But we are clearly looking to run with a senior squad of around 19. Which will be about the same as our peers in this division, there's just not room

in the squad or indeed budget for another out and out striker.

Every club other than Hibs & Rangers will be running with a squad of around 19. Every club will have more than one out and out striker. With your squad as it is right now, there's no way you can't sign another.

Happy enough with Carswell. Yes he's young, but very experienced at a higher level. Just have to hope the injury worries are behind him.

Interesting to see if he's gonna be a first choice and what that means for Jim?

Every club other than Hibs & Rangers will be running with a squad of around 19. Every club will have more than one out and out striker. With your squad as it is right now, there's no way you can't sign another.

Gow is a forward who can play midfield.

For what it's worth I think two of the signings we will make will be Carey and Barron. We will also sign an experienced goalie as a player/coach and Reilly.

That will leave room for one more signing, and that signing would have to be someone that could play wide right surely?

right wide surely has to be Teale? :huh:

I think you've missed an important announcement.

Just thinking of former players that can play wide right, seeing as it's former players that seem to be on our shopping list.

Boy I like new managers with fresh ideas.

Problem solved

That sounds about spot on to me. It would be an absolute shambles if we go ahead this year with Thompson as our only proper striker, although I'm certain we'll sign another. I wouldn't recommend signing Barron but he would at least provide cover for a few defensive positions.

Happy enough with Carswell. Yes he's young, but very experienced at a higher level. Just have to hope the injury worries are behind him.

Interesting to see if he's gonna be a first choice and what that means for Jim?

If we're playing a 3-5-2, Goodwin will probably be used as the ball-playing central defender. If we're playing 4-4-2, he can play centre-mid or centre-back. To me, this makes the signing of a striker even more of a priority. By the way, Gow is clearly a midfielder who can play striker at a push and not the other way round. Not a chance that he can be counted as another striker.

Archived