Motherwell FC 2015/16 Thread

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

have we been linked with any midfielders yet? Given that we emptied a few, I'm interested to see if we plan to rely on Lasley again this season. I thought he had some very good games towards the end of the season and he's been a top player for us but given that this may be his last year, we are surely going to phase someone else in...

Agree, it's a big ask for Lasley (and Pearson for that matter) to go through the whole season holding the midfield & while long term you'd think he'd be looking at Leitch & Cadden you'd think that bringing someone in around the 23-25 age mark who could rotate through the season would be useful.

We're obviously in need of a keeper since it's abundantly clear Bara doesn't fancy Dan as first choice & I'd expect to see Laing back on 1st July but could probably do with another in for cover seeing as Ramsden, Kerr & O'Brien all left.

Wrexham fans are seething on Twitter :lol:

I saw a few folk mention this and checked it out, it's fucking hilarious. Their fans are also literally fucking begging him to stay ffs.

Anyway having looked him up he seems a similar story to Fletcher. He was in and around the Stoke squad in his younger days, made a few sub appearances before being released after a series of loan spells.

Started working his way back up through non league football and scored 23 goals in 39 starts for Wrexham in all competitions last season, including 16 in the in Conference.

Whilst I'm cautiously excited in the route we're going down, I'd feel a lot more confident in our attacking options if McDonald signed on again.

However if we sign Moult to add to Clarkson, Fletcher and Moore do we think that's the end for Skippy staying? Or is Moore going to get punted if Skippy decides to stay?

Is there a chance that we'd see McDonald, or indeed Moore, dropping deeper? I thought it was interesting in the playoff playing the role that McDonald was playing was the one he seemed to be trying to get Moore to play when he dropped him in midfield.

Very pleased with the recruiting so far in general and this one in particular as I thought he was the best partner for McManus and is someone with the potential to improve...

I have to say, things feel a lot more purposeful this year compared the vague and lazy approach of last summer....

Quick question - how have Barracloughs signings been so far?

I'd exclude Pearson and skippy as they were no brainers with strong connections to the club.

I know he's had successes like Johnson but then I know he also had straker....

I'd exclude Pearson and skippy as they were no brainers with strong connections to the club.

Laing - improved with time, could make us money in future imo.

Long - not much better than Twardzik but saved his best performances for the playoffs.

Straker - cult hero, skinned a couple of Accies players.

Grant - looked good and scored a free kick on his debut, wasted out wide but I'd like him back.

Johnson - a real gem.

Nathan Thomas - played twice and went AWOL.

Straker - was what he was; a short term cover for Hammell.

Conor Grant - looked a good player but was never going to get in ahead of Pearson so was shuffled out wide right, which wasn't really his position but he did a decent enough job there.

Louis Laing - came good after a shaky start (enough so that we've signed him on a two year deal). Looked a genuinely solid player, prone to a mistake or two but on the whole a player with a lot of potential. In reality we're never going to bring in players who are 100% Maldini so you kind of have to take it as read that players will have faults to iron out.

George Long - had his detractors after a couple of howlers (particularly against Aberdeen away) but when it came down to it we seemed to pick up more points with him in goals than we did with Dan. So there's that.

Marvin Johnson - not much to say, looks a genuine find.

Nathan Thomas - Played in two games (one was definitely as a sub), barely kicked a ball, ended up mostly playing in the u20s, Option on contract not taken up but in saying that he found another club quickly enough.

Other than Johnson you wouldn't say there's been a genuine stand out but similarly most have been decent enough. Nathan Thomas is probably the only one that you'd say didn't work out.

Given the necessity of getting a high number of players in during the "difficult" January window, he did well I would say. I take the point with McDonald as a "no-brainer" signing but Pearson is a lot less so given that he was in India and he left under a bit of a cloud so there was a judgement to be made there. On "his" signings, Laing, Grant and Johnson and Long all had a lot of merit and contributed a lot. Straker looked like a lower league stop gap signing and contributed what you would expect. Nathan Thomas seems to have been the gamble that didn't pay off and seemed to be a player that we didn't need - possibly as we weren't expecting to land Johnson and only did so at the 11th hour.

When you look at the business we are doing this window - it seems a similar mix of low risk signings (Laing, Clarkson) and some prospects that we need to develop and I'm fine with that at this point...

Anyone else watched Laings interview on the clubs YouTube channel?

Just watched it there and it seems that some of the Cash converters advertising at the top of the East Stand has been taken off. A confirmation that we will have different sponsors perhaps?

Anyone else watched Laings interview on the clubs YouTube channel?

Just watched it there and it seems that some of the Cash converters advertising at the top of the East Stand has been taken off. A confirmation that we will have different sponsors perhaps?

Good spot - but knowing the East Stand, it probably blew off in a light breeze...

Archived