Charles Kennedy

MEADOWXI

Much as I hate to be seen backing up H_B, that's a good thing. Wings Over Scotland is quoted often on here as gospel, rather than the vanity project of a man with interest only in himself; independence be damned. Knowing who's behind pro-independence stories is as important as knowing who's behind the unionist stuff.

This might not be the most appropriate thread to do it though.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Glad to see that all but the most rampant Nationalists are aware of the fact that Rev Campbell is a whompercunt.

How very unchristian of him.

How dare you call me a rampant nationalist!

I'm going to post a comment on WoS in protest!

Two decades of observing from afar?

:lol:

What garbage.

Once again, how so? Does it somehow suit me that one of the most well-known Scottish nationalists is a danger to the credibility of the movement?

Alarmingly, it seems there's nothing he can do wrong for some due to whataboutery. Hopefully the SNP's leadership are a bit smarter.

Once again, how so? Does it somehow suit me that one of the most well-known Scottish nationalists is a danger to the credibility of the movement?

Alarmingly, it seems there's nothing he can do wrong for some due to whataboutery. Hopefully the SNP's leadership are a bit smarter.

He may be somewhat "brusque" in his approach at times, but he generally tends to back up what he says with links and stats. The SNP will rightly distance themselves from him and WoS, but you can't deny the impact he had on the Yes side during the referendum*

*Yes, I know we lost.

This might not be the most appropriate thread to do it though.

Aye, fair enough. I'll save it for a thread someone starts on the subject.

Quite.

Also sad that the reverend is using his death to expose these knuckle draggers to score cheap points rather than posting some kind of tribute.

Also sad that you're using his death to have a go at WoS & score cheap points rather than posting some kind of tribute.

And also sad that I've called you on it for the same reasons...

And so on.

See what a facile point that was?

Think Alex Salmond should have waited a bit before saying something like that on the referendum angle, but the response is over the top. Very surprised by what happened given Charles Kennedy would probably have found it a lot easier than most of the ex-MPs resulting from the SNP landslide to carve out an ongoing public profile for himself in the months and years ahead. A tragedy in those terms that he doesn't seem to have realised that before you even start to consider the impact on his family.

Pretty disgraceful that some pundits and party activists are using the death as an opportunity to point score over SNP, by making out his death was a result of him losing his seat. Although I won't deny that event may have led to suicide or caused heavy drinking leading to complications. Thus resulting in an eventual death. However, even if it was true it wouldn't have been an overriding factor. It would have been more likely an accumulation of factors, with that being the trigger point.

People who dislike Wings using an excuse to have a go at Campell; what a shock.

Nothing wrong with highlighting the odious comments of the nutters whose comments about the role of the SNP in Charles Kennedy's death is beyond disdain.

A few of the eulogies given in the House today were particularly moving. David Cameron and one of the Lib Dem guys spoke particularly kindly.

^^^^^

This.

I can't remember so many moving tributes for any politician over the last 20 years. Certainly nothing on this scale since the untimely demise of John Smith in 1994.

It makes one proud to be Scottish.

^^^^^

This.

I can't remember so many moving tributes for any politician over the last 20 years. Certainly nothing on this scale since the untimely demise of John Smith in 1994.

It makes one proud to be Scottish.

Yep. The warmth and genuine affection was obvious, from both sides of the floor. Every single party sent someone to speak.

Tim Farron was the Lib Dem guy who was in tears.

I neither knew nor met Charles Kennedy, but my sympathies lie with his family.

Given the hoo ha over the Salmond interview & twitter posts of WoS, I'm surprised there has been zero comment on the thoughts of former LibDem Deputy Chair Donnachadh McCarthy on facebook?

https://www.facebook.com/donnachadh/posts/10206717253514093

Just watched the tributes there. Must admit, I was close to tears on a couple occasions! The likes of Tom Watson and Tim Farron made very moving speeches.

Archived