Organ Donor Opt Out Bill

1 minute ago, mishtergrolsch said:

No, because they are unable. Not unwilling. If you are unwilling then why should you be ahead of someone who is?

While in principle I'd prefer if everyone was willing to donate their organs, I'd have real concerns over doctors potentially being required to refuse lifesaving treatment because the patient made a perfectly valid and legal choice.

2 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

While in principle I'd prefer if everyone was willing to donate their organs, I'd have real concerns over doctors potentially being required to refuse lifesaving treatment because the patient made a perfectly valid and legal choice.

Which is why it will never happen.

37 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

Where does the line get drawn there? If people are unable to give blood, should they be denied a transfusion if they needed it?

Unable and unwilling are two completely different things. 

43 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

Where does the line get drawn there? If people are unable to give blood, should they be denied a transfusion if they needed it?

Deliberately conflating unable and unwilling.  You’re a far better poster than that.

37 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

They wouldn't be denying it. The person whod rejected being a donor would have made the decision that they'd be at the back of the queue.

The Doctors would be going with their wishes.

14 minutes ago, CountyFan said:

If someone wants my liver they'll find the remnants of some fucking tremendous whisky in it.

Call me when you've had a nice chianti.

Just now, Honest Saints Fan said:

Can't donate my organs due to illness. Can't donate blood because of previous transfusions. Not much good, am I?

Look on the bright side, you support a good te....

Nah, you’re not much good...

Just now, Aufc said:

I was already registered so glad its now an opt out option. Although i said they could take everything apart from my eyes. How does that work?

I think they just leave them in your head.

Mind you I’m no expert.

2 hours ago, throbber said:

People aren’t going to die as a result of someone else not being an organ donor though, what an absurd thing to say.

I know you play the idiot character on here, but this is genuinely one of the thickest posts ever written on here and none of your scrambling responses are going to change that.

1 hour ago, Mark Connolly said:

You’re better than this.

20 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

I know you play the idiot character on here, but this is genuinely one of the thickest posts ever written on here and none of your scrambling responses are going to change that.

You’re better than this.

While I appreciate my example was a bit extreme, I am genuinely surprised at the number of people in support of "Opted out? f**k off to the back of the queue then".

52 minutes ago, Honest Saints Fan said:

Can't donate my organs due to illness. Can't donate blood because of previous transfusions. Not much good, am I?

Didn't realise a transfusion fucked you for giving blood. I suppose that makes sense. That's me shafted for that too. 

Off topic, amazing how unremarkable getting a blood transfusion is. They were like "Now it's time for the transfusion" and they just hooked a different wire up and half an hour or so later said it was finished. Not sure what I expected but it wasn't nothing 

Edited by madwullie

15 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

While I appreciate my example was a bit extreme, I am genuinely surprised at the number of people in support of "Opted out? f**k off to the back of the queue then".

Why would it surprise you?

I personally don't have a strong opinion on it either way, but I can easily see why folk would support a mechanism of "not unwilling to give your own stuff, so back of the queue to get someone else's".

6 minutes ago, madwullie said:

Didn't realise a transfusion fucked you for giving blood. I suppose that makes sense. That's me shafted for that too. 

Off topic, amazing how unremarkable getting a blood transfusion is. They were like "Now it's time for the transfusion" and they just hooked a different wire up and half an hour or so later said it was finished. Not sure what I expected but it wasn't nothing 

I've had 7 blood transfusions in 5 years. I had about 15 transfusions of platelets during my transplant. Getting blood is a great high. Feel like I can run a marathon after getting them!