Organ Donor Opt Out Bill

Why is this not already a thing? I can't see what objections people might have?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-32967174

"The new legislation would mean people would have to actively opt out or else their name would be added to the NHS Organ Donation Register.

Under the terms of the "soft opt-out" system, families of deceased patients would be given a say on donation if they could confirm their relative had made an unrecorded objection during their lifetime."

It's usually a religious thing. Some folk think that a deity is going to come and raise them from the dead when the world ends, even if their body has been decaying for thousands of years, and every single last molecule of their being has been absorbed into other entities.

Another argument that seems fairly popular in the States is that those evil doctors and paramedics let organ donors die so they can harvest those sweet, sweet meat cash boxes.

These folk can opt out and let the rest of us get on with trying to improve the morality of our species. With any luck, opting out of organ donation will be considered with the same disdain as stealing from charity boxes. Unless you're going to refuse transplants yourself when the time comes, in which case fair play, you absolute maniac.

Another argument that seems fairly popular in the States is that those evil doctors and paramedics let organ donors die so they can harvest those sweet, sweet meat cash boxes.

I was trying to persuade someone what a good idea it was to donate blood and they were under the impression that some of the blood stocks are sold to the private health care systems in the rich middle eastern countries and the USA.

My organs will be of no use to anyone once I'm dead. They're not much cop just now but I'm all for them using anything they want from me once I'm dead.

I've already put in my will and signed the forms for leaving my body to medical science if there is a need for cadavers.

Can't see why anyone would object.

My only objection is that my organs would be used to help someone like Chick Young or Amanda Holden.

That's a fair point actually. Maybe there could be an amendment to the bill allowing us to block certain people using your organs.

I was trying to persuade someone what a good idea it was to donate blood and they were under the impression that some of the blood stocks are sold to the private health care systems in the rich middle eastern countries and the USA.

...which translates to, "I'm scared of needles and would rather slander our health service than admit the truth" :P

We used to buy in blood stocks from the States, actually, until it became obvious that their screening process was dreadful and people here were being infected with diseases like HIV and Hepatitis. The wife's from the US, and she was shocked to find that donors aren't paid here, 'cause it's the only way they can get enough people to donate over there.

Thanks for reminding me about blood donation BTW; I've been off the list for the past year because I'm scared of needles I was on blood thinners, but now that's over I need to get back onto it :P

My organs will be of no use to anyone once I'm dead. They're not much cop just now but I'm all for them using anything they want from me once I'm dead.

I've already put in my will and signed the forms for leaving my body to medical science if there is a need for cadavers.

Can't see why anyone would object.

I need to get that done before HNNNG, actually. It would be nice to think that my cock will live on in some medical student's pocket :P

That's a fair point actually. Maybe there could be an amendment to the bill allowing us to block certain people using your organs.

Ooh, can of worms. Imagine how many folk would strike off "any SNP voter" at the moment :o

Are folk worried that if they donated a kidney for example when they died that Jesus wouldn't love them in the magical fairy land they go to after they die? Do they think they'd be firing around heaven one kidney down?

Laughable stuff.

"The new legislation would mean people would have to actively opt out or else their name would be added to the NHS Organ Donation Register.

Under the terms of the "soft opt-out" system, families of deceased patients would be given a say on donation if they could confirm their relative had made an unrecorded objection during their lifetime."

This is exactly what should happen. Out of interest, do you need to have a donor card in order for your organs/body to be put up for donation when you die? Or is it okay if your next of kin just tells the relevant authority to take what they want after the fact?

I can see both sides tbh, you'd think what does it matter you're dead anyway, but it's not about the dead guy it's about the family.

Just imagine(god forbid) a family member is killed and you want to see the body...eh sorry you'll need to wait a few days were just cutting their heart lungs and kidneys out come back later then you can see your son/daughter carved up like Frankenstein.

..an over exaggeration but you get the point.

I can see both sides tbh, you'd think what does it matter you're dead anyway, but it's not about the dead guy it's about the family.

Just imagine(god forbid) a family member is killed and you want to see the body...eh sorry you'll need to wait a few days were just cutting their heart lungs and kidneys out come back later then you can see your son/daughter carved up like Frankenstein.

That the family might be selfish instead of the dead person?

This is exactly what should happen. Out of interest, do you need to have a donor card in order for your organs/body to be put up for donation when you die? Or is it okay if your next of kin just tells the relevant authority to take what they want after the fact?

There's a national register these days; the card only tips the medics off early. Once you're dead, they'll check the register either way.

Anyone who wants to donate (until the law's changed, obviously) really should sign up, as telling your next of kin doesn't work. Apparently it's very, very common for families to go against the deceased's wishes once they're dead. Understandable that people are upset and confused at such a horrible time, so it's not a decision that should be left to them IMO.

You have a strange idea of what happens in organ donation mate.

I have invested an absolute fortune in my liver so I doubt if it will be much use to anybody else. My wife also tells me quite often that I am a heartless b*****d so that's another organ that is likely to be off the list.

Oh, and I'm half blind as well so I guess that makes me a bit of a write off.

I have invested an absolute fortune in my liver so I doubt if it will be much use to anybody else. My wife also tells me quite often that I am a heartless b*****d so that's another organ that is likely to be off the list.

Oh, and I'm half blind as well so I guess that makes me a bit of a write off.

What size is your cock though?