Cowdenbeath FC 2015/16

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's amazing how much time Greg spent on the bench at Central Park...

We signed him and coached him, but got not a penny for him. We resurrected Gomis's career - no transfer fee, and no add-on clauses.That's why it's important to use some of the Rangers windfall money to get the best of our young players on longer contracts. We need to learn from last season - don't waste money on dross, invest in the promising talent we have at CP.

I remember saying at the time when Rangers were kicked out and then brought back into League 2 that I'd not be surprised if they came in for Greg as he would have flourished there. He's done amazingly well at Dundee and deserves a big move. If Rangers don't go up this year though....

:unsure2: I am afraid I do not watch Japanese football at all except international matches. I have never watched even Lineker.. he injured soon after moved to Japan.

I suspect the director in question may have created the individual season scoring record (which I think still stands) before you were born - he served in Japan for six years to 1971.

Even though you did not answer the question, here is another one!! When you go back to Japan can you help find for Nishy a really good Japanese attacking midfielder wiiling and able to join Nishy's team here in Scotland? We are looking to raise the Blue Brazils international profile as well as to increase outside support and I am sure sponsorship funding can be made available for the right player.

We signed him and coached him, but got not a penny for him. We resurrected Gomis's career - no transfer fee, and no add-on clauses.That's why it's important to use some of the Rangers windfall money to get the best of our young players on longer contracts. We need to learn from last season - don't waste money on dross, invest in the promising talent we have at CP.

We did get a fee for Gomis, it wasn't very much but we got something.

What a difference he could make to our season.

Can't believe he would come here though and the wage structure would have to be obliterated .

Aye, you'll need a spare £300 p/w to get him to even consider it. I expect he'll end up at St. Mirren if Murray hangs onto his job.

Aye, you'll need a spare £300 p/w to get him to even consider it. I expect he'll end up at St. Mirren if Murray hangs onto his job.

i honestly thought he would be more than that. theres only 6 months left of the season, thats only 7 grand. we have more than that spare.

Totally agree with this our club needs to get smarter at identifying talent early and tying down a longer contract I.e two years.

Obviously this can be difficult for a club of our stature however they could add clauses I.e can be sold if relegated etc in order to prevent any financial loss.

Imagine the money our club could have made from a sale of Hemmings and Stewart.

We need to learn our hard lessons from last season and ensure that any money that is available is invested wisely.

There needs to be a better understanding of realities. This bit about tying young players up on longer contracts - how many players have we lost aged under 23 (that we wanted to keep) because of 1 year contracts? Do their agents want them to tie up their careers on contracts taking them past their 23 birthday - not unless you are offering pretty big money. Or they negotiate no compensation clauses as Robbie Thomson did before signing. We kept Greg Stewart for 4 years - that was pretty good. The chances of getting decent transfer fees/compensation are pretty limited really. Kane Hemmings - his wage was met by the Directors and he signed on the basis of putting himself in the shop window. When you don't know what League you will be in or who will be your opponents in that League next season that is a budgeting problem. As for budgeting ahead - where are we on Roof Fall? As that is an integral part of this season's budget and then you need to consider that being extended into future years - it isn't a one off. What is wise investment? Going for promotion or avoiding relegation or spending as little as possible - which strategy do you follow?

There needs to be a better understanding of realities. This bit about tying young players up on longer contracts - how many players have we lost aged under 23 (that we wanted to keep) because of 1 year contracts? Do their agents want them to tie up their careers on contracts taking them past their 23 birthday - not unless you are offering pretty big money. Or they negotiate no compensation clauses as Robbie Thomson did before signing. We kept Greg Stewart for 4 years - that was pretty good. The chances of getting decent transfer fees/compensation are pretty limited really. Kane Hemmings - his wage was met by the Directors and he signed on the basis of putting himself in the shop window. When you don't know what League you will be in or who will be your opponents in that League next season that is a budgeting problem. As for budgeting ahead - where are we on Roof Fall? As that is an integral part of this season's budget and then you need to consider that being extended into future years - it isn't a one off. What is wise investment? Going for promotion or avoiding relegation or spending as little as possible - which strategy do you follow?

Agree on this. We can't sign young players on longer contracts. Once they're 23 they are free agents. Until that age no-one is coming in for them as no club is paying money for a part time player other than a minimal development fee. Greg Stewart is a case in point. No idea if there was any interest before but Hartley got him on a pre-contract and most of us have been amazed at how well he's done in the Premier. He's been the best talent we've had in years and has done better than most thought. How many part-time players have got more than a development fee in recent years?

It's crap but that's life.

Kane was different and I'm still amazed we even got him for a season. No idea how we pulled that off but he was always worth a better team and would never stay more than a season.

Unfortunately it will be a few years before we see the likes of those two in a Cowden shirt again but I'm still glad I did.

I suspect the director in question may have created the individual season scoring record (which I think still stands) before you were born - he served in Japan for six years to 1971.

Even though you did not answer the question, here is another one!! When you go back to Japan can you help find for Nishy a really good Japanese attacking midfielder wiiling and able to join Nishy's team here in Scotland? We are looking to raise the Blue Brazils international profile as well as to increase outside support and I am sure sponsorship funding can be made available for the right player.

I hope Colin Nish's team can have a good Japanese player, but it is not possible to get a work permit from UK Home Office. I think the best Japanese GK Kawashima has not got his work permit yet even though Dundee United applied for it. I mean even if it is a young inexpensive player, Home Office does not issue a work permit. I guess this is why Japanese players belong to European clubs but no UK...

I hope Colin Nish's team can have a good Japanese player, but it is not possible to get a work permit from UK Home Office. I think the best Japanese GK Kawashima has not got his work permit yet even though Dundee United applied for it. I mean even if it is a young inexpensive player, Home Office does not issue a work permit. I guess this is why Japanese players belong to European clubs but no UK...

Fairly sure Kawashima got his permit yesterday? Sure I saw something on Twitter about it.

Not correct. Just find a player for Nishy and leave it to me. In my previous life I spent 44 years in HM Foreign Service.

CC, I support the Roof Fall Fund monthly. Sure there will be others that do the same and I'm sure people have made 1 off payments into it as well. I take it we're not on target to raise the required amount through the RFF? Need another push on this if that is indeed the case. Can't afford to take the foot off the gas just because of the Rangers cup draw. We didn't know we were going to get that tie when the RFF was set up!

CC, I support the Roof Fall Fund monthly. Sure there will be others that do the same and I'm sure people have made 1 off payments into it as well. I take it we're not on target to raise the required amount through the RFF? Need another push on this if that is indeed the case. Can't afford to take the foot off the gas just because of the Rangers cup draw. We didn't know we were going to get that tie when the RFF was set up!

No I agree Roof Fall needs to be pushed - I also support via monthly payments to the fund. It isn't the time to take our eye off the ball but rather to redouble our efforts. Roof Fall is behind target but is integral to the club's funding and future in cash terms plus in helping to demonstrate in a tangible sense the commitment of the overall fanbase.

A couple of teams are meant to be looking at Lewis Spence on loan (tough midfielder from our U20s). He featured a bit last season and was one of the few not to look hopeless. Would be a good fit for Cowden - wouldn't cost much, could probably keep training with us and would add a good bit of energy to your midfield.

A couple of teams are meant to be looking at Lewis Spence on loan (tough midfielder from our U20s). He featured a bit last season and was one of the few not to look hopeless. Would be a good fit for Cowden - wouldn't cost much, could probably keep training with us and would add a good bit of energy to your midfield.

No more townie cast off tackling midfielders please. Chris Kane is enough thanks.

No more townie cast off tackling midfielders please. Chris Kane is enough thanks.

One of the strangest signings, he was awful for us in this division, not quite sure what made anyone think he'd be alright in the division above.

Spence is a far better player, couple of posters on here would've went to high school with him I'd imagine.

Archived