The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

Can't believe Morton have signed a player who once failed to track his man at a corner. :P (Joke for Lex/Dundee fans).

I don't think this is a bad signing. You could file him under 'wily old stager who'll come off the bench with ten to go, hold the ball up well, bring others into play and maybe create something'. You'll need to make sure other players are doing his running for him, but he surely still has something to offer.

Edit: the internet, ladies and gentlemen...

Spoiler

Z3q9qlw.png

Edited by Coventry Saint

1 minute ago, Stevie88 said:

Gary Harkins is a lazy b*****d, total waste of Morton's budget.

One thing Duffy does is make sure every player gives 100% regardless of their ability. Hopefully he'll be able to do the same with Harkins.

As Duffy mentioned, there's no doubt Harkins will provide that bit of creativity that we were missing at times last season. He's not going to run the channels so we know what type of player we're getting. Good also to get a bit of experience in the squad of talented youngsters and he can play in various positions. 

One thing Duffy does is make sure every player gives 100% regardless of their ability. Hopefully he'll be able to do the same with Harkins.

I don't doubt Duffy's managerial skills but this guy is a different level lazy b*****d. You never know it might work out for Morton but I highly doubt it.

Harkins :lol:

He was finished when we punted him, and that was 4 years ago.

Felt a bit sorry watching him lumber about the park for Ayr United last season.  I bet even he thought his days of full time football were behind him.

17 minutes ago, GiGi said:

A player people pay money to watch when he's on form. Every team needs a maverick to entertain.

^^^ utter bollocks

Entertainment is provided by effective, winning team football. If you value flicks and tricks so highly; there's usually a keepie-up champion scrounging for pennies on Buchanan Street every Saturday afternoon. Harkins will be judged on his contribution to the team alone. 

5 minutes ago, Lex said:

Harkins :lol:

He was finished when we punted him, and that was 4 years ago.

Felt a bit sorry watching him lumber about the park for Ayr United last season.  I bet even he thought his days of full time football were behind him.

Is that why he went on to have a decent spell at Dundee afterwards or have you forgotten about that? 

A bit like Chic Charnley, another player who wasn't nearly as good as he thought he was, GH has never been in a side that has been promoted. Will undoubtedly contribute a couple of spectacular goals for the 'Ton just hope that none of them are against us.

1 minute ago, Shibuya said:

Intrigued to see how he does at Morton. Looked miserable last year and really struggled to make an impact wherever he was played. How do Ton fans see him fitting in to your XI?

Most likely and hopefully on the bench being brought on with 10/15 minutes left. Unless Duffy is going to change his tactics I can't see him changing Oliver and Quitongo up front. 

The problem with Harkins at Ayr was that he was played out of position too often, part time had an effect on his fitness levels, and he was in a team that struggled to play attacking football and that was rooted at the bottom half of the table. Can't see Duffy making those same kind of mistakes with him, and if he addresses them then you could have yourself a useful player.

I remember years ago when he was at Thistle, me being a young boy at the time and remembering him taking the piss out of our defence and saying to my dad, "why can't we sign players like that?"

I've jinxed us.