The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

On 19/08/2023 at 16:56, Hank Scorpio said:

Lewis Vaughan. Something about hoping his next ACL proved to be terminal. 

That sounds more like wishing it to be career-ending than wishing him dead.  Mind you he could probably have broken his neck falling from the height he reached during that blatant dive.

23 minutes ago, Alibi said:

That sounds more like wishing it to be career-ending than wishing him dead.  Mind you he could probably have broken his neck falling from the height he reached during that blatant dive.

I’m not sure wishing a career ending injury on a player who has came back from multiple career threatening injuries is great either…  

Odd behaviour. 

15 hours ago, No_Problemo said:

I’m not sure wishing a career ending injury on a player who has came back from multiple career threatening injuries is great either…  

Odd behaviour. 

Yes, particularly one of our own ex-players who was well liked during his time at Cappielow.  It was an uncharacteristically aggressive challenge from Murdoch and he's paid a hefty price for it.

20 minutes ago, Alibi said:

Yes, particularly one of our own ex-players who was well liked during his time at Cappielow.  It was an uncharacteristically aggressive challenge from Murdoch and he's paid a hefty price for it.

I was talking about Vaughan!

Just heard today, Wednesday 23 August that Hugh " Shuggy" Murney had sadly passed away aged 84 in a Melbourne nursing home .

Shuggy was one of the youngest ever Captains of Morton. He was 19 when he signed in 1958 and played 73 times ( scored 12 goals) before he left in 1961 for Dumbarton and then Queen Of the South. He moved to Australia in 1965 and played initially for South Melbourne Hellis and then Melbourne Hakoah whom he was then was involved with coaching with into his 70s. 

I met him through a friend of mine ,who had ended up playing in Melbourne and played with Shuggy. This friend was eager to let me meet and hear Shuggy's stories of his time with Morton.

He also had lots of stories of his friend Alex Ferguson and Billy Connolly who he had met on their visits to Australia.

He played for Morton before I started supporting and going to games but maybe some of the older supporters may remember him.

RIP Shuggy.

On 22/08/2023 at 20:28, No_Problemo said:

Odd behaviour. 

What's not 'great' is a player blatantly cheating on the park - for which an official SFA apology has since been delivered to GMFC for their match official having been fooled to a ridiculous degree by an obvious dive.

Then - and this is crucial in explaining the response and to said cheat's non-existent reputation - the same player converts the penalty and immediately confirms to the opposition fanbase that he was in fact cheating all along.

So don't try to lecture me on the sacred professional respect owed to Lewis fucking Vaughan - because respect has to be earned rather than owed. And when you defraud spectators who have spent £22 to watch a sporting encounter, you get none whatsoever. That proven cheat's behaviour is little better than Sandy Jardine in his loathsome career against Morton - and just like with Jardine, the volume of pearls being clutched by outsiders about that view is utterly irrelevant. 

4 minutes ago, virginton said:

What's not 'great' is a player blatantly cheating on the park - for which an official SFA apology has since been delivered to GMFC for their match official having been fooled to a ridiculous degree by an obvious dive.

Then - and this is crucial in explaining the response and to said cheat's non-existent reputation - the same player converts the penalty and immediately confirms to the opposition fanbase that he was in fact cheating all along.

So don't try to lecture me on the sacred professional respect owed to Lewis fucking Vaughan - because respect has to be earned rather than owed. And when you defraud spectators who have spent £22 to watch a sporting encounter, you get none whatsoever. That proven cheat's behaviour is little better than Sandy Jardine in his loathsome career against Morton - and just like with Jardine, the volume of pearls being clutched by outsiders about that view is utterly irrelevant. 

Start the day as you mean to go on.

7 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

Start the day as you mean to go on.

Calling out bullshit from roasters? Don't mind if I do!

Perhaps we'll even progress to the inevitable sequel to the laughable pearl clutching about professional respect owed to players - the massive hypocrisy on display. 

28 minutes ago, virginton said:

Perhaps we'll even progress to the inevitable sequel to the laughable pearl clutching about professional respect owed to players - the massive hypocrisy on display. 

Too angry, chill out mate. Life's too short.👍

2 hours ago, virginton said:

1 hour ago, virginton said:

1 hour ago, virginton said:

I bet you have 'Live, Laugh, Love' or some other birthday caird pish displayed in your house too. 

You are a genuine tragic raging mess of an individual. 

7 hours ago, virginton said:

🤣