The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

DOT1 where did you buy that crystal ball?

I would suggest seeking a refund.

This is football, managers and players all have shelve lives and would be liars if they said opportunities to play/manage at the top level for greater rewards would not be given their full consideration. 

I moved every five years and if honest I would admit the cash reward did influence each of these moves plus of course the professional challenges on offer.   

21 hours ago, DreamOakTree1 said:

To make room for new additions I could see Dougie releasing French, Broadfoot, Power, Gillespie and Boyd, not sure about Waters and MacDonald. Muirhead is the usual enigma due to his consistent goals return v his overall commitment to the team  effort.

Boyd left some time ago.  Do keep up...

On 25/04/2024 at 02:01, Paisley Ton said:

This is football, managers and players all have shelve lives and would be liars if they said opportunities to play/manage at the top level for greater rewards would not be given their full consideration. 

I moved every five years and if honest I would admit the cash reward did influence each of these moves plus of course the professional challenges on offer.   

My crystal ball didn't leave it's box for this post, it's simply based on statements from the parties involved plus the players I'd like to see staying.

I'm not sure if you're implying from your own career decisions, that Dougie and George should or will move on. In comparison to your own case, each time I was offered better terms elsewhere then in most cases I let my employers know, they offered me a better contract and I stayed.

I hope that's what happens in the cases of Dougie and George.

2 hours ago, DreamOakTree1 said:

In comparison to your own case, each time I was offered better terms elsewhere then in most cases I let my employers know, they offered me a better contract and I stayed.

This is getting a bit personal and maybe inappropriate for this forum, but here is my take on that.

Offered a few people contracts who used it for improved terms. The offers I made were to let me assess them thinking that with further development I would consider improving there contracts again after 12 months.

At no time did anyone doing this ever get reinterviewed.

My take was, if they were worth it why were they not paid their worth. Plus who with any decency would stay having being underpaid for years at a lower rate. It's clear their employer abused their position and only increased the renumeration package because them needed the resource.

5 hours ago, Paisley Ton said:

This is getting a bit personal and maybe inappropriate for this forum, but here is my take on that.

Offered a few people contracts who used it for improved terms. The offers I made were to let me assess them thinking that with further development I would consider improving there contracts again after 12 months.

At no time did anyone doing this ever get reinterviewed.

My take was, if they were worth it why were they not paid their worth. Plus who with any decency would stay having being underpaid for years at a lower rate. It's clear their employer abused their position and only increased the renumeration package because them needed the resource.

Yes I agree PT, we’ve drifted too far off topic in our attempts to make comparisons. Let’s wait and hope it’s a positive summer for our Club’s future aspirations.

Just noticed that Jordan Davies' Connah's Quay beat Declan McManus' TNS in the Welsh Cup final yesterday. TNS had won all five matches between the two over the course of the season and finished unbeaten in the league, 33 points clear of... Connah's Quay.

Will be interesting to see how Davies handles the jump to level 2 in Scotland, but the fact that we've gone so far afield to sign a player bodes well... he's also played for the Welsh national team in Futsal, so we can at least expect him to have a better touch than most of our current squad.

Wonder if he's ever played at right-back...

Edited by The Ghost of B A R P

I see Calvin Miller tops the assist charts for the whole SPFL this season, 3 ahead of Matt O'Riley in second place. Really came onto a game towards the business end of last season, could've done with him this year. Did it ever come out why his new deal fell through at the last minute?

1 minute ago, Ferguson said:

I see Calvin Miller tops the assist charts for the whole SPFL this season, 3 ahead of Matt O'Riley in second place. Really came onto a game towards the business end of last season, could've done with him this year. Did it ever come out why his new deal fell through at the last minute?

Money likely, or did Falkirk give him 2 years and we were only offering 1?

3 minutes ago, Stevie Aitken's Love Child said:

Money likely, or did Falkirk give him 2 years and we were only offering 1?

Likely to be both, but I remember him coming out with a statement somewhere saying it was a done deal to stay here until the goalposts moved at the last minute?

4 hours ago, Ferguson said:

Likely to be both, but I remember him coming out with a statement somewhere saying it was a done deal to stay here until the goalposts moved at the last minute?

The goalposts being that Falkirk came in at the last minute, he tried to renegotiate his done deal and we said no.

Shame, we could have done with him with McGrattan et al doing bugger all.

5 hours ago, Ferguson said:

He was offered a better deal to play at a lower level for a full time club, hence the improvement in his numbers.

Completely random stat I've come across. Matthews played for both Morton and Airdrie (and Rangers ) during the Wartime period but still a cool little pub quiz style fact.

Screenshot_20240502-222722.png

For being poor for a large part of the season, 5th should be an embarrassment for the rest of the league.

Enjoyed the great run and it highlighted what we have to do next season , which with Livi on board maybe the best chance ever of getting to the SPL.

Can't go on with such a frail , in numbers, first team squad, and so many injury prone players.

Anyway lets enjoy the summer and Scotland at the Euros.

Well that was my 31st season watching Morton, bring on the 32nd even though this one was grim for the most part.

Strange saying that seeing as we finished 5th again but that’s the clusterfuck of the Championship for you.

On 29/04/2024 at 15:47, The Ghost of B A R P said:

Just noticed that Jordan Davies' Connah's Quay beat Declan McManus' TNS in the Welsh Cup final yesterday. TNS had won all five matches between the two over the course of the season and finished unbeaten in the league, 33 points clear of... Connah's Quay.

Will be interesting to see how Davies handles the jump to level 2 in Scotland, but the fact that we've gone so far afield to sign a player bodes well... he's also played for the Welsh national team in Futsal, so we can at least expect him to have a better touch than most of our current squad.

Wonder if he's ever played at right-back...

Having played TNS in the final,  they are arguably the best side we have played this season, very sharp and technically good ,  Davies may be a pleasant surprise,  don't think he will have much trouble  in the Championship top level of Welsh football seems similar....  

Strange season. Dipped badly in the Autumn after a decent performance at Ibrox but picked up in time to collect a bank of points and go on a cup run Same Spring as always.

We're now going into our 10th consecutive season in the 2nd tier - our longest since its creation following reconstruction in the mid 70s and again in the 90s.

A relatively decent season with some fond memories to look back on, but I'm glad it's behind us now and we can start counting down the short 68 days until the league cup returns. 

It'll be interesting to see how the squad is looking come July and what comes of the player meetings today. If the Oakley rumours are to be believed then we'll have our work cut out. Got myself in a right huff over Muirhead on Friday as well after travelling all that way for a dead rubber to see him let the team down like that, and not for the first time, but he's dug us out of a lot more holes than he's put us into.

On 25/04/2024 at 02:01, Paisley Ton said:

Ignore the c**t and don't give him any reason to talk even more shite.