The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

On 21/03/2024 at 13:07, Jamie_M said:

Not wanting to give big spending Raith any credit to be honest - but they have doubled their average gate this year. Excitement of the takeover and good results helped but it's some jump. Could be a good starting point to see if there are any learnings from them, if there are any specific levers they pulled to accelerate the growth.

I know it’s not a popular theory with Ton fans, but the fact that Raith are showing some ambition contributes greatly to attendances. Since our board announced our 3 year plan is top 16 in Scotland our form has collapsed as we’ve gone from the board’s holy grail of 16th to 18th. For players and fans that sort of statement kills off any momentum you may have built, and makes the fans’ 50/50 decision on whether or not to attend a match a much easier one to make. 
in my view it was an absolutely pathetic statement to make, given the progress we’d been making up until that point. Someone needs to give the negative person who came up with that idea the biggest shake of their life, or we might as well not bother turning up!

3 hours ago, cb_diamond said:

Surely this one is more compelling for the argument...

Screenshot_20240325-143721.png

Interesting stat.

Never knew the refs hated us that much.

While you can spout your clean image position still doesn't validate the hatchet job you did on your last visit to Greenock and as I remember your man didn't even get booked for putting Oakley out for those weeks.  

12 minutes ago, MarkoRaj said:

89 bookings for 333 fouls for us

58 bookings for 309 for Arbroath 

Refs must have it in for us for not voting for var

The ref v airdrie just stood and watched hatchet jobs all over the pitch, which validates your point.

On 25/03/2024 at 18:25, DreamOakTree1 said:

I know it’s not a popular theory with Ton fans, but the fact that Raith are showing some ambition contributes greatly to attendances. Since our board announced our 3 year plan is top 16 in Scotland our form has collapsed as we’ve gone from the board’s holy grail of 16th to 18th. For players and fans that sort of statement kills off any momentum you may have built, and makes the fans’ 50/50 decision on whether or not to attend a match a much easier one to make. 
in my view it was an absolutely pathetic statement to make, given the progress we’d been making up until that point. Someone needs to give the negative person who came up with that idea the biggest shake of their life, or we might as well not bother turning up!

A target of top 16 doesn't mean we want to be 16th.  It means we want to be 1st or close to it but recognise that world domination takes time.  The statement could maybe have been finessed by saying that 1st or 2nd were not regarded as realistic due to the financial advantages clubs get from basing their appeal on bigotry, with the media largely going along with it, but it did at least make clear that relegation scraps every season are not acceptable.  we are aiming upwards not downwards.

On 25/03/2024 at 18:41, MarkoRaj said:

89 bookings for 333 fouls for us

58 bookings for 309 for Arbroath 

Refs must have it in for us for not voting for var

Nope, your just a shower of dirty b*****ds

I am disappointed that some of our regular posters have not been magnanimous in offering congratulations to Falkirk FU FC  in their recent promotion achievement.

Have missed my trips to the wheel and really enjoyed the last visit and getting the opportunity to put them dooooooooown.  

Edited by Paisley Ton
stutter

17 minutes ago, Paisley Ton said:

I am disappointed that some of our regular posters have not been magnanimous in offering congratulations to Falkirk FU FC  in their recent promotion achievement.

Have missed my trips to the wheel and really enjoyed the last visit and getting the opportunity to put them dooooooooown.  

Who?  Falkirk are an utter irrelevance.

Obviously first goal is important is a massive cliché that applies to every team to some extent, but we must be more drastic than most teams with it this season.

We've conceded the first goal in the league 13 times and only taken points twice, coming from 1-0 down to win 3-1 v Ayr on the first day and drawing 1-1 at Tannadice.

We've scored the first goal 12 times and only failed to win twice, both against Partick at Cappielow.

There've been other times we've clawed a team back and ended up losing anyway (3-2 away to Raith) or lost a lead then gone on to win (2-1  at Arbroath and 3-2 at Dundee United), but it's still a stark stat. Having had a quick glance I think Airdrie have taken something after going behind six times and dropped points after scoring first four times, Dunfermline five and three respectively.

Hopefully kicks on from here, clearly a talent and is improving on the weak points of his game despite his lack of minutes. Could be the bright spark we need in the last few games.

4 minutes ago, Ferguson said:

Hopefully kicks on from here, clearly a talent and is improving on the weak points of his game despite his lack of minutes. Could be the bright spark we need in the last few games.

I'm a wee bit disappointed we haven't seen more of him this season since in his cameo appearances before last week I thought he had done relatively well. He beats men, holds the ball up well and his distribution is good. He can also 'get stuck in'. 

If he gets a run now he could make a big difference to our last few games with a play off place definitely within our grasp.