The Greenock Morton Thread - It's Better Than Yours

9 hours ago, Ferguson said:

That's other results been going almost entirely our way for about 3 weeks now, really need to start capitalising. 

Yes this and other factors like teams suffering from injuries like ourselves.

What we know in the Championship is that teams operate on smaller budgets and even like some BIG PL teams will suffer when key players are injured.

We are currently suffering because we have no striking back up.

So let us all hope that big George recovers and comes back soon and that Jai also recovers and gives us options.

On 03/03/2024 at 12:01, Toby said:

Jesus wept.

My brother thinks he remembers you Toby. He reckons we met you on the train to an Elgin v Morton game. He said you told us you were from East Kilbride and you used to go to a variety of games as EK didn’t  have a team in the top divisions. Then you decided to support Morton as you loved the Cappielow atmosphere. If so that’s a great story!

On 12/03/2024 at 18:21, Chicken Soup said:

Full disrespect to Airdrie, we should be capable of beating them in our next fixture even without Oakley. 

It seems you can't beat Anybody without Oakley. Even thistle fans saying the only thing more pish than their defence is Morton. 🤭

14 minutes ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

It seems you can't beat Anybody without Oakley. Even thistle fans saying the only thing more pish than their defence is Morton. 🤭

King George still out, some 'tickle' he must have got to his ribsjonathan groff hamilton GIF by Official London Theatre

I just thought I would provide you guys with an Alex King update. He is a player who has a great set piece on him and he also gets stuck in when he can. He has played both right mid and left back with us. When he was right mid he was anonymous but would score an odd banger, when he is at left back he has had good distribution so far. Although his positioning is woeful even at our level. I am honestly shocked that you guys wanted him to stay in your first team as I do not view him as championship material. I would even consider benching him for us.

Well our run ended, as all do, but the following loses are not a good sign.

The great thing about P&B is it gives all the opposition fans a chance to come and gloat.

The sad thing is I see some have registered with Toby's forum and assisted his income stream from adverts.

I hope the moderators don't block their accounts as they say all that comes around goes around.

We've lost 4 on the bounce but we're still in a good position with a game in hand on a lot of teams and 2 home games coming up, which will decide where our season is heading. Saturday was a poor watch but it wasn't as bad as our early season form, we had chances at key points in the game that we didn't take and that was the difference, they weren't that much better than us overall. With Oakley back within the next week or 2 I'm confident we'll still be challenging come May.

54 minutes ago, Ferguson said:

We've lost 4 on the bounce but we're still in a good position with a game in hand on a lot of teams and 2 home games coming up, which will decide where our season is heading. Saturday was a poor watch but it wasn't as bad as our early season form, we had chances at key points in the game that we didn't take and that was the difference, they weren't that much better than us overall. With Oakley back within the next week or 2 I'm confident we'll still be challenging come May.

I hope you're right, but I think you're being kind to the performance on Saturday. Lacking in both any real purpose with the ball and, crucially, energy: rare - and worrying - to see us out-pressed for most of the game.

Oakley is obviously key, but there's more to it than that. Without Quitongo (and Oakley, to an extent), teams can defend as deep as they like against us. Muirhead isn't just poor in the air and holding it up, he's also never going to run in behind anybody. And the lack of any real width doesn't just limit us when we've got the ball, it means the opposition can just launch their full-backs as high as they want and squeeze us both wide and in the middle.

Imrie must have seen that on Saturday, so the experiments need binned. If he doesn't want to play both Gillespie and Power sitting, stick Blues in beside one of them (Power), get Crawford back central where he can lead the press... and play two wide-players up against the opposition full-backs. We should have French and Strapp doubling-up down the sides, pinning the opposition back, and making it easier to press in the middle. That also means the service into Muirhead would come mostly from wide positions, rather than the long out-ball, which he's shown he just can't do.

My guess is we'll need four wins (and maybe a draw or two) to make it. Minimum seven points from the next three games... but we'll need to have Oakley back - and be 50% better than we were on Saturday - to make that realistic.

Looking back to the 10 game unbeaten run last season before Oakley signed where we had Muirhead at centre forward, we were very reliant on natural width with Quitongo on the right and McGrattan or Kabia on the left, with the long balls primarily aimed at finding the feet of wingers rather than going for Muirhead's head and trying to play off flick ons.

I can understand why Imrie has stuck with things like Blues on the right when he was in fantastic form there until a few games ago, but in Oakley's absence we need that natural width back to give us an outball. Having naturally central players there is fine when we're scrapping for second balls in a congested middle of the park and you want whoever's playing out wide to be comfortable stepping inside, but with no target man to aim at we need players who are comfortable opening up space by hugging the touchline, linking up with Strapp and French and carrying us up the park by running at full backs.

Garrity has to start next week.

36 minutes ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

I hope you're right, but I think you're being kind to the performance on Saturday. Lacking in both any real purpose with the ball and, crucially, energy: rare - and worrying - to see us out-pressed for most of the game.

I'd agree, it was very lethargic in large spells but we still really should've made more of the chances we had, I wouldn't say it was majorly worrying as I still think we have enough in the squad with this virus they're all dealing with clearing up and Oakley coming back to see us through the season.

Personally I think we need to go back to basics and play our best players in their best positions, Blues on the wing worked while everyone was firing on all cylinders but we're well past that. Sacrifice him for a natural winger if he doesn't fit in the middle, get Crawford back behind the striker, never want to hear about Tyler French playing in the middle again.

An awful lot of pressure is being put on Oakley ahead of his return which I do worry about. Opposition will also now be more than aware if they can actually nullify him, we’ve got nothing.

6 minutes ago, Rob1885 said:

Steven Boyd got a new club yet?

Don't believe so, can't play for anyone in the professional setup until next season since he was released after the deadline.

We already knew the accounts showed a £70K profit for last season. Comment here is that we're heading for a £200K profit for this season too and that's based on budgeting for 8th so could still turn out better, and the plan is for some of that profit to be put back towards the playing budget for next season rather than it all being kept back for a rainy day.